Saw Mr. Holmes

1,069 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by COOL LASER FALCON
Philip J Fry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gandalf plays an aging Sherlock Holmes who is suffering from the onset of Alzheimer's. After years of living with Watson's fanciful novels loosely based on crimes they solved together, Sherlock decides to write one himself and set the story straight. The only problem is that he can't remember what happened in the last case he took. In steps a boy named Roger who befriends Sherlock and helps him remember.

Personally, I thought it was good, but not ground breaking movie save for Ian's acting. Ian as always was spot on in his acting...going from a 60y/o to a 93 y/o with ease. I could easily see him winning an Oscar for this performance. I spent a good deal of the movie wishing we could keep him from aging so we could enjoy more of his movies. Overall, I give it 3 wing wangs out of 4.
wordman4077
AG
The book that it was based on ("A Slight Trick of the Mind") was actually written by the brother of my high school English teacher. So naturally, I had to read it in High School. My teacher mentioned at the time that they were trying to make it into a movie starring Ian Mckellen, however as time passed, I never really believed it. 10 years later, they finally made the movie though!

At the time, I agreed that he would be perfect for the role. And Mitch Cullin (the author) was a HUGE Sherlock Holmes fan, so he absolutely did justice to the character in the book. It was an enjoyable book, nothing groundbreaking, in my opinion, but a very engaging story. I'm curious to see how faithful the movie was to the book.
jeffk
AG
Sounds awesome. In theaters or on video?
mrsbeer05
AG
We saw it Saturday. I loved it. McKellen is amazing. He does a brilliant job of showing the frustration of memory loss. The chemistry between McKellen and the boy was perfect. If an Oscar nom does not happen for the movie and its actors, I will be shocked.
Dread Pirate Roberts
This sounds intriguing and I want to see it.

I don't think every movie has to be groundbreaking. Just entertain me with a well written, well acted movie.
COOL LASER FALCON
I thought it was good. Probably better idea than execution, but I liked it and would definitely recommend it. Very well acted.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.