Eagles Documentary.

6,517 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Hey Nav
aTmAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The article I got that $900M from mentioned the Facebook thing, but said that value was BEFORE counting the Facebook investment. So I assume he's worth even more. The jest of my point is that guys like Bono are worth a crap-ton more than Frey. Perhaps if he wasn't so selfish he'd be up there too. I'm pretty sure the top Eagles album sold more copies then the top U2 album. If true, then there is no reason that Frey shouldn't be worth a crap-ton too. 1/5th of a $1B is a lot more than 40% of $200M or whatever.
VanZandt92
quote:
ZZ Tops best songs are their non hits
Corporal Punishment
AG
Sure. Frey was an a-hole but someone had to be.

I would also like to say not all of them were alpha males. Randy Meisner was no alpha male. Nor Timothy Schmitt nor Bernie Leadon.

That was a damn good documentary.
oragator
quote:
The article I got that $900M from mentioned the Facebook thing, but said that value was BEFORE counting the Facebook investment. So I assume he's worth even more. The jest of my point is that guys like Bono are worth a crap-ton more than Frey. Perhaps if he wasn't so selfish he'd be up there too. I'm pretty sure the top Eagles album sold more copies then the top U2 album. If true, then there is no reason that Frey shouldn't be worth a crap-ton too. 1/5th of a $1B is a lot more than 40% of $200M or whatever.
If I remember right, Eagles greatest hits volume 1 was the number one U.S. selling album of the 20th century.

One thing to remember about the Eagles too though is that because of the friction, there are something like 8 guys splitting the money instead of the 4 in U2 (though Frey likely protected his share all the way through). The Eagles also lost a decade and a half of touring money because of their fights, plus all the money they could have made had they released albums over those years.

Agasaurus Tex
AG
Saw them last October in Houston. The History Of The Eagles tour is awesome. Starts with just Frey and Hendley sitting on a couple Fender amps starting from the beginning and slowly adding band members. First set was primarily acoustic. Second set was more rock and nine total band members. Actual playing time was a little over 3 hours. Final encore was just Hendley on a dark stage with spotlight on him singing Desperado. Great concert!

Edit: Best surprise of the night -- they did Funk #49 from Joe Walsh's days with The James.Gang.
Redstone
AG
Felder is a good guy and is responsible for Hotel California. He also taught Tom Petty how to play guitar.

Henley is actually an underrated singer, I think, and a winking egomaniac. He knows he got lucky and is not too giant of a *****. When he says he took Hotel from Felder because he's the better singer....he's right.

Frey is the ****lord.

Redstone
AG
Forgot to add:

Go to YouTube and listen to Felder on Howard Stern. He's talented as hell and got legit screwed.
Whachutalnbout Willys
AG
It was actually Victem of Love that Felder attempted to sing lead, and they ultimately had Henley record the vocals while their manager took Felder to dinner. In the documentary they play the track with Felder singing lead, and it sounded awful. I thought maybe they did this on purpose for the documentary, but go search out Felder on YouTube. He's touring as an opening act, and his set consists of almost all Eagles tunes with him singing lead. He sounds pretty awful in the clips I've seen.

I did enjoy his contribution to the Heavy Metal soundtrack back from the early 80's though.
Redstone
AG
Felder was a possibility to sing Hotel, which was his riff. Henley took it, and Felder didn't fight it. He tells the story to Stern.
mazag08
AG
And it would have been a disaster to let him sing it. The Eagles success came from Henleys voice.
AngryAG
I agree with the sentiment of the thread. Frey may view himself as the leader of the band. And he may be from a business perspective.

But Henley's voice made that group. And he had the far better solo career. Songs like New York Minute and Boys of Summer are rock classics.
mazag08
AG
Frey knew it too. Which is why he stated that Henley was the only other one who had a say in the band.
CenterHillAg
AG
Not a big Eagles fan in general, but Seven Bridges Road has to be in my top 10 favorite songs ever, that song is not played near enough on the radio. I enjoy Henley and Walsh's other stuff though.
Motel California
S
quote:
Sure. Frey was an a-hole but someone had to be.

I would also like to say not all of them were alpha males. Randy Meisner was no alpha male. Nor Timothy Schmitt nor Bernie Leadon.

That was a damn good documentary.

Before Timothy B. Schmitt can't on board, thru claimed it was a band full of alphas. I know Randy was soft spoken but that doesn't mean he wasn't an alpha.

Why don't you think he was?
aggie93
AG
quote:
quote:
If I remember right, Eagles greatest hits volume 1 was the number one U.S. selling album of the 20th century.

One thing to remember about the Eagles too though is that because of the friction, there are something like 8 guys splitting the money instead of the 4 in U2 (though Frey likely protected his share all the way through). The Eagles also lost a decade and a half of touring money because of their fights, plus all the money they could have made had they released albums over those years.

Actually this isn't the case. Felder talked about it on Stern. The original Eagles are the only stockholders plus himself. So Henley, Frey, Felder, Bernie Leadon, and Randy Meisner. When Leadon and Meisner left voluntarily they forfeited their shares. Thus Henley, Frey, and Felder were the only 3 with any true power left in the band and had equal shares to the profits. When Henley and Frey decided they wanted to boot out Felder he sued them bigtime and they had to settle for an undisclosed amount with undisclosed terms, but almost certainly it was for a ridiculous amount of money because he had them by the nuts contractually. Frey and Henley weren't happy that Felder got an equal share since they were the "stars" of the band and really did the business side and they got their wish it cost them.

Walsh and Schmidt are essentially employees, they have no ownership. They still are mega millionaires though.
Hey Nav
AG
quote:
Felder is a good guy and is responsible for Hotel California. He also taught Tom Petty how to play guitar.

Always amazed by all the Gainesville connections to the music I love. Petty was in a few groups with Bernie's brother. They even did a new Mudcrutch album a few years ago.

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.