Eagles Documentary.

6,516 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Hey Nav
topgun23
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Watched the Netflix documentary called the History of the Eagles Part One the other night and really enjoyed it. It's pretty long but engaging throughout. I would recommend it for all music fans.
Objective Aggie
AG
Saw that on Showtime I think??? It would is well done.
mrsbeer05
AG
It was an HBO special. It was cool. I did not realize how many members had come and gone.
Professor Frick
AG
quote:
It was an HBO special. It was cool. I did not realize how many members had come and gone.

Showtime, but yeah was a really good doc (from Alex Gibney, who has a pretty great track record for making good docs). I don't even like the Eagles, liked them much much less as the documentary went on, but was captivated the whole time.
aTmAg
AG
I watched and came away thinking, "you dudes take yourselves too seriously." Especially that Glenn Frey guy. It's not like they are curing cancer or anything. In the end they are really just vibrating air.
Motel California
S
I own this on bluray
Whachutalnbout Willys
AG
Big Eagles fan. Really enjoyed the doc. Was really interesting how they came together working for Linda Ronstadt.

Was surprised Felder was willing to participate considering how his departure from the band happened. He wrote a book about his time with the band called Heaven and Hell. He comes across as a pretty good guy.
Reminded me of Spinal Tap but with worse music.
oragator
quote:
I watched and came away thinking, "you dudes take yourselves too seriously." Especially that Glenn Frey guy. It's not like they are curing cancer or anything. In the end they are really just vibrating air.
I agree. I have always been a huge eagles fan, but after watching that documentary I have lost much of my interest, Frey just comes off as a completely self absorbed, self important a hole.
mazag08
AG
That doc. reminded me how much I love their first 3 albums, especially their debut. Much much better than the hair and glam crap from the 80's.
aTmAg
AG
I later heard that Frey jumped Jeff Bridges at a party because The Dude said, "I F-ing hate the Eagles man" in Lebowski. As if Jeff Bridges wrote the script himself. Not to mention the notion of "how dare anybody not like the Eagles" attitude makes Frey come off as a grade A jackass.
mazag08
AG
He is a jackass. Every band member who quit or was kicked out was because of Frey. He admitted that it was his band and the only other person who got any say was Henley (who just kind of shrugs and says "sure"). Their entire breakup was because of Frey's ego. He pushed the band too hard for too long and then got burned out himself and took it out on the band.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
I later heard that Frey jumped Jeff Bridges at a party because The Dude said, "I F-ing hate the Eagles man" in Lebowski.

What a tool if true. Who the hell would dare come at The Dude?
MSFC Aggie
AG
Maybe The Dude pissed on the Frey's rug?
chris93
AG
Good lord, young Linda Ronstadt...
mazag08
AG
Yeah I had no idea. Totally would (have)
dreyOO
quote:
Good lord, young Linda Ronstadt...
Yep. I wouldn't consider myself an Eagles fan, but I loved the documentary.
Old Main
AG
[img]http://i.imgur.com/F4lKw2Et.png[/img]
Seven Costanza
AG
Here's the original texags thread if you're interested:

http://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2587656
Motel California
S
Felder was nothing more than an excellent guitarist that wanted lead singer money. He was and is a cry baby. I couldn't stand him.

They were all alpha males, it just so happened that Frey and Walsh were the bigger alphas. They were also the most involved in the bands music (singing) so it was inevitable that those two would be controlling.

Anytime a band has an extreme amount of success, its really challenging for them to survive long term
aggie93
AG
It's a great doc and surprising how much dirty laundry they aired and how Frey allowed himself to be shown to be the ass that he is. I will give him this though, at least he recognizes it and in the end he does put the fans and the band first. He is an entertainer. I commented on the other thread about how much I appreciated his honesty about playing songs he has sung for decades even though he is tired of it because he knows that is what the fans want. So many artists just won't do that anymore, they are just "done" with old songs and when they do sing them they have to be some remix or a combination of hits where they only sing a few lines from a song.

Make no mistake, the Eagles made this doc and perform for the money but in the end who cares? It's not like they are alone in that. There are also plenty of great old bands that have made a fortune and would be so awesome to see again but can't get past their personal stuff to do it. Led Zep is a good example. Then you have bands like Depeche Mode that I went to see at ACL a couple of years ago and it was just horrific. 80% of their set were their "newer" songs that no one cared about and when they did play their old stuff it was some bizarre remix and they would sing a line or two and then just hold the mic out to the crowd. The next night The Cure came out and killed it by just standing on stage and belting out their hits for 2 hours straight, barely even took the time to intro themselves. As much as Frey and to a lesser extent Henley are *******s they at least do understand the business side of things and about making their fans happy.

In the end the Eagles hit such a high note in terms of financial and artistic success with "Hotel California" that they really could only go down from there. That album was essentially the perfect crossroads of a group of super talented guys, including 2 great singers and 2 great guitarists, at their artistic peak. They combined the folk style of their earlier stuff with the Rock edge that Walsh gave them. Best thing they could have done would have been to just take a year or two off in '78 or '79 but they pushed through with their last "real" album and it broke them apart. Just too much money, fame, drugs, and most of all ego I suppose.
Objective Aggie
AG
quote:
quote:
I agree. I have always been a huge eagles fan, but after watching that documentary I have lost much of my interest, Frey just comes off as a completely self absorbed, self important a hole.
Wow, take it easy dude.
mazag08
AG
quote:
It's a great doc and surprising how much dirty laundry they aired and how Frey allowed himself to be shown to be the ass that he is. I will give him this though, at least he recognizes it and in the end he does put the fans and the band first. He is an entertainer. I commented on the other thread about how much I appreciated his honesty about playing songs he has sung for decades even though he is tired of it because he knows that is what the fans want. So many artists just won't do that anymore, they are just "done" with old songs and when they do sing them they have to be some remix or a combination of hits where they only sing a few lines from a song.

Make no mistake, the Eagles made this doc and perform for the money but in the end who cares? It's not like they are alone in that. There are also plenty of great old bands that have made a fortune and would be so awesome to see again but can't get past their personal stuff to do it. Led Zep is a good example. Then you have bands like Depeche Mode that I went to see at ACL a couple of years ago and it was just horrific. 80% of their set were their "newer" songs that no one cared about and when they did play their old stuff it was some bizarre remix and they would sing a line or two and then just hold the mic out to the crowd. The next night The Cure came out and killed it by just standing on stage and belting out their hits for 2 hours straight, barely even took the time to intro themselves. As much as Frey and to a lesser extent Henley are *******s they at least do understand the business side of things and about making their fans happy.

In the end the Eagles hit such a high note in terms of financial and artistic success with "Hotel California" that they really could only go down from there. That album was essentially the perfect crossroads of a group of super talented guys, including 2 great singers and 2 great guitarists, at their artistic peak. They combined the folk style of their earlier stuff with the Rock edge that Walsh gave them. Best thing they could have done would have been to just take a year or two off in '78 or '79 but they pushed through with their last "real" album and it broke them apart. Just too much money, fame, drugs, and most of all ego I suppose.

Spot on
aTmAg
AG
I thought Led Zeps primary issue was the drummer being dead. That seems hard to overcome.
Jim01
AG
Glem Frey does seem like an a$$ but I loved when he called the guitar players manager and basically said "Tell your ungrateful client that Don and I are the only ones who've done JACK since we broke up. We wrote all the damn songs. Tell him to sign the contract by midnight or he is fired."

Truthful? yes. But damn!!!
VanZandt92
quote:

I'm laughing. Strong post.
VanZandt92
I don't know. I really wish Zz Top would play something live besides their hits. I've only seen them twice but won't be back.
Bruce Almighty
AG
ZZ Tops best songs are their non hits
aTmAg
AG
quote:
Felder was nothing more than an excellent guitarist that wanted lead singer money. He was and is a cry baby. I couldn't stand him.

They were all alpha males, it just so happened that Frey and Walsh were the bigger alphas. They were also the most involved in the bands music (singing) so it was inevitable that those two would be controlling.

Anytime a band has an extreme amount of success, its really challenging for them to survive long term
Frey being a selfish dick probably cost himself a crapload of money, I looked it up and his net worth looks to be about $70M. If they had stayed together, made a few more albums, gone on tour for another decade or more, etc. how much more would he be worth now? Even if they split that one contract evenly? It's not like Frey couldn't have pursued other opportunities on his own at the same time. Depending on what source you go by, Bono is worth $600M-$900. Mick Jagger is worth ~$300M. That's what staying part of a group that likes each other for 30+ years apparently gets you.
oragator
quote:
quote:

Frey being a selfish dick probably cost himself a crapload of money, I looked it up and his net worth looks to be about $70M. If they had stayed together, made a few more albums, gone on tour for another decade or more, etc. how much more would he be worth now? Even if they split that one contract evenly? It's not like Frey couldn't have pursued other opportunities on his own at the same time. Depending on what source you go by, Bono is worth $600M-$900. Mick Jagger is worth ~$300M. That's what staying part of a group that likes each other for 30+ years apparently gets you.

Henley is worth 200 million. Shows where the real talent was.
aTmAg
AG
I wonder how much of that was his solo career.
captkirk
AG
Henley was the Eagles.
mazag08
AG
Without his voice they would have just been a Jackson Brown ripoff
OldArmy71
AG
Bono is worth more than Mick Jagger???? That's insane.
oragator
Not sure if it's counted here but Bono was part of an investment firm that had a really good return, they had pre IPO shares of Facebook among other holdings.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.