The Problem With Modern Special Effects aka The WETA Effect

5,799 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by AgMarauder04
Jacques
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For some reason though, so much of the CGI in the star wars prequels is bad. I also don't care for the extent to which Peter Jackson uses it.

A big problem with Yoda in the prequels is you had a more "real" frame of reference. You can't replace a puppet with CGI and not expect people that have seen the original 100 times to just ignore it.
aTmAg
AG
This discussion reminded me of the stereophiles of decades past. When I was a co-op and went from making minimum wage to $30K/yr I thought I was rolling in money. So I idiotically went to go buy a stereo that I had always wanted. I went to a store where you reserved a listening room. The room had those foam pointy things on the wall and an employee would set up whatever speaker/receiver/etc. components you wanted. You'd say, "let me hear the Vandersteens, and he would bring them in, hook them up for you, let you listen to your own music while he looks through the glass window in the door. I would wave him in and say "let me hear that on a Nakamichi amplifier", and he would hook that up for you. The thing is, I was in the front room. The room where speakers "only" cost $800 and amps "only" cost $600 (in 1995.. multiply by 1.56 for today's dollars). There were 4 rooms. The room in the back had speakers that cost $200K-$300K. Only the front 2 rooms bothered having CD players. Because the "sophisticated listener" would not dare soil his ears with digital music. The equipment in back would only have record players, huge vacuum tube amps for each channel, speaker cables that were braided and 1 inch in diameter, etc. Somebody could easily drop half a million on the ultimate system. And I gaurandamntee you, no human on earth could tell the difference between my Nakamichi/Vandersteen combination playing CDs and their gazillion dollar systems playing records (except you get pops when there is dust on the record).
Duncan Idaho
I agree that story telling has a lot to do with it.

But I have a bigger problem where there is big difference between the film's budget and the quality of the cg.

Sharknado, no problem with either the use or quality of the cgi.

Hobbit, huge problem with the use and bad quality of the barrel river scene a waste of money that could have been spent elsewhere.

The pod scene in the 4th star wars movie, was great quality but boring after 2 minutes and completely unneeded. I would rather have seen the scene time spent on maul
Philo B 93
I saw Christina Applegate and Beverly D'Angelo in a scene together in the new "Vacation". I'm not sure if it was real or CGI. It looked like a scene from "Polar Express" or "Beowulfe". That much plastic surgery filmed in digital is a bad idea for a movie that uses real actors. The digital Yoda would have fit into that scene with no problem.
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
quote:
Just watched Avatar today in 3D. Still amazing.
You mean Disney's Pocahontas....in space?

fify

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.