Good/Great Movies that should have been greater

6,160 Views | 106 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Bruce Almighty
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What are some movies that you watch and enjoy, that you think are either good(or even great), but that you just can't help but think what might have been?

For me, it's Gangs of New York. Gangs of New York had everything in its favor. The subject matter is extremely appealing. A level director, the true A+ actor of our generation, all star cast, unbelievable setting, etc. And the movie was really damn good. But every time I watch it, I just think "damn, that movie should have been a top 10 of all time movie. Why wasn't it?"

I don't even have the exact answers for why it missed the mark seemingly. But it just did. I felt like it really had potential to be truly iconic.

Weirdly enough, #2 on my list may be The Departed. Not a knock on Marty. Both great films, but I feel both almost deserved to be better.

What are some that come to mind for you?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Man of Steel and The Dark Knight Rises. Still enjoyed both.

Also, The Hobbit trilogy.
TXAG 05
AG
Gangs of New York is what I was going to say too. Like you said, it had everything going for it to be truly epic but it came up short.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:
What are some movies that you watch and enjoy, that you think are either good(or even great), but that you just can't help but think what might have been?

For me, it's Gangs of New York. Gangs of New York had everything in its favor. The subject matter is extremely appealing. A level director, the true A+ actor of our generation, all star cast, unbelievable setting, etc. And the movie was really damn good. But every time I watch it, I just think "damn, that movie should have been a top 10 of all time movie. Why wasn't it?"

I don't even have the exact answers for why it missed the mark seemingly. But it just did. I felt like it really had potential to be truly iconic.

Weirdly enough, #2 on my list may be The Departed. Not a knock on Marty. Both great films, but I feel both almost deserved to be better.

What are some that come to mind for you?

I agree about gangs of New York. It just felt like they only brushed the surface of the characters, except for DDL.

I really enjoyed The Departed. I knew nothing about it prior to watching it though.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Prometheus
The Abyss
Rudyjax
AG
I loved Gangs of New York.

I think the length and Cameron Diaz ruined it.
Velvet Jones
AG
Corvette Summer.
MaroonStain
AG
I 2nd Cameron Diaz.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
Corvette Summer.

That mark Hamil would have been huge if he had only found the right role.
Duncan Idaho
the counselor should have been awesome

All of the pieces were there.
bigboykin
AG
Diaz was in over her head, and definitely dragged the movie down a bit.

I kind of agree with Champ that it only scratched the surface, but only because I would watch a prequel trilogy chronicling Bill the Butcher's rise to power, the Dead Rabbits as led by Leo's dad, and all the events leading up to the first scene in GONY and what happened afterward with Bill running the show before grown Leo showed back up.
Bunk Moreland
Good recent choice. I agree.
Sex Panther
AG
Pretty much anything Ridley Scott post Black Hawk Down
Rudyjax
AG
The Star Wars prequels.

If Lucas had hired a writer and a director.

I am pretending they do not exsist.
Aggies76
AG
+1 for Man of Steel. Good movie that could have been great with better storytelling.
MSFC Aggie
AG
quote:
The Star Wars prequels.

If Lucas had hired a writer and a director.

I am pretending they do not exsist.
EOT
Bruce Almighty
AG
I also agree with The Dark Knight Rises. I needed some serious editing.
The Debt
Anchorman 2
Thor 2
Jurassic World
Hobbitses
Star trek 2
Corporal Punishment
AG
Pearl Harbor

Total cheeseball flick.
MGS
I think The Departed would have been better if Matt Damon's character had not been killed at the end. (Like Infernal Affairs)
Bruce Almighty
AG
Thanks for spoiling it for me, I was going to watch it tonight.
30_Days
AG
quote:
Pearl Harbor

Total cheeseball flick.
have you seen the director's cut?

It is a VAST improvement.
israeliag
AG
I actually liked that new Lone Range but feel it was close to being much better
Pound the Rock
AG
Agree with the Departed
If Whiplash was about 30 mins longer it could've been one of the greatest movies ever.
The Italian Job
Sandman
Ender's Game
The Matrix sequels
Thomas Little
AG
Funny you mention Gangs of New York. My first thought was another Dicaprio movie, "The Beach." The first half of the movie is one of the best movies I've seen, but in the second half the whole movie just falls apart.
Professor Frick
AG
quote:
I loved Gangs of New York.

Cameron Diaz ruined it.

Came to post this.
ATM9000
AG
Cameron Diaz didn't bring the movie down, the editing doomed it. So many asinine scenes in it... probably one of the more all over the place movies this millennium. If the sets and the visuals weren't as nice looking as they were and Scorsese wasn't attached, everyone would recognize that the movie really is god awful.

Funny you bring up a Scorsese movie because I think the Departed, Wolf of Wall Street, Shutter Island, and the Aviator all would come to mind as good/average movies that should have been way better.
Bullmoose
AG
^^^^^^^ Must resist...
Bruce Almighty
AG
The Departed was amazing until one of the worst endings in movie history.
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
quote:
Pearl Harbor

Total cheeseball flick.

How so?
COOL LASER FALCON
quote:
quote:
Pearl Harbor

Total cheeseball flick.

that doesn't surprise me. Get those editors out of the way and just let Michael Bay work.
Cancelled
AG
I don't know, I really like the Beach. Yeah, it gets a little weird, but I've got to admit that I watch it about once a year.

I think Pacific Rim could have been absolutely awesome, but something was missing and I'll never watch it again.
rhutton125
AG
Never seen the film, but I wanted it to be good. Why wouldn't it be? Wouldn't you be interested in a classic horror story starring Benecio del Toro, Emily Blunt, Anthony Hopkins and Hugo Weaving? An accomplished director? Music by Danny Elfman? Victorian era setting?

What I refer to is 2010's The Wolfman. ~30% on Rotten Tomatoes. Such a shame.
rhutton125
AG
Here's another one - I actually liked Superman Returns, but it should definitely have been better. Bryan Singer and Kevin Spacey, not a bad way to start.

Unfortunately, it does the typical "origin movie" thing where there's hardly any action.

That first plane rescue scene though is still pretty excellent. Just a shame that it tapers off from there.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.