Apple Music

2,813 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Topher17
Professor Frick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anybody trying it out yet?

Seems a little bit of mess to me so far, they're just trying to do a little too much.

They start with this whole silly attempt to figure you out, what you like. Instead of having you clicking a few broad genres, why not just use all that data you already have? Want to know what I like? There is a giant library songs and albums I have purchased from you that you can access!

On that note too, it would be a nice little function to be able to go into your own music library, and be able to see and play the songs that are missing from particular albums.

Checked out the radio page, was excited to see that St. Vincent has a show (as well as Josh Homme). Clicked to get info on the St. Vincent show, absolutely no info on WHEN the show was. Jumped through a couple of hoops, finally find a link to 'full schedule' which then sent me out to a safari to a TUMBLR webpage that kind of answered the question.

Anyway, not to be too harsh right off the bat, just trying to see if this will be something worth actually paying money for.
AB2
AG
I'm a long-time Rhapsody subscriber. Any reason to consider switching?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:

Trolling? I'll type out a response, I just want to make sure your not joking.
My Dad Earl
AG
I think the fact that you can download any song or album in the iTunes store to your library is worth it. It will definitely save me money from now on.
The Collective
AG
quote:

Send me an AIM, and we can discuss.
BigRobSA

****NSFW language****
Vernada
AG
I've had Pandora for years. Along with my Amazon Prime options it's hard to see making a change.
VanZandt92
I like Rhapsody. Please inform me otherwise. I basically download whatever I want for about 12 bucks per month.
Deputy Travis Junior
quote:
I've had Pandora for years. Along with my Amazon Prime options it's hard to see making a change.
I'm in the same boat, but just got Apple Music. (why not do the free 3 month trial?) I like Amazon and Pandora, and you can certainly make them work, but the amount of music is night and day different. Apple Music has something like 30+ million songs whereas Amazon Prime Music and Pandora both advertise that they have around one million.

You definitely notice the difference.
double aught
AG
But how does it compare to Spotify?
Deputy Travis Junior
quote:
But how does it compare to Spotify?

Library is about the same size. The few reviews I've read day Spotify is better for music discovery as its recommendation engine is a lot better.
FtBendTxAg
AG
spotify premium will be very hard to beat.
R0GUE
AG
How about compared to Google Play?
CoolaidWade
AG
quote:
How about compared to Google Play?

They both have a free trial: Google one month, Apple three months. I'm trying both.

Just from a few days I want to say I like Apple better although I really want to like google play better since I really like the format more. This is from listening to a few playlists. For example I listened to both the pop punk playlists from each one and Apple has more bands/less songs from each band, Google play has less bands/more songs. (So on a 20 song playlist with Apple you will get 20 different bands where with google you will only have 9-10 with multiple songs/band)

I'm trying to determine which is better in terms of sound quality. It reads that Google streams at 320 while Apple streams at 256 (even though their format AAC is suppose to be higher quality even at a lower bit rate) I can't really tell at this point.

Also, Apple works seamlessly (as usual) streaming in my vehicle and just working in general. Operation wise it's smooth as butter. I have a iphone so this is probably to be expected.

Google Play has always been buggy connecting via bluetooth even when using the free music locker they always had. Sometimes it won't connect in my truck. Sometimes it will connect but I have to press the forward button multiple times to skip tracks or it won't skip at all. Plus always a delay between each songs. Just buggy.....

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:
I like Rhapsody. Please inform me otherwise. I basically download whatever I want for about 12 bucks per month.

I mean whatever floats your boat, but Spotify premium is 9 bucks a months, you don't technically download anything, so you are not taking up space on your phone, it's as instantaneous as it gets today as far as playing a song on your phone, and the library is bar none the greatest.

The Radio is a good alternative to pandora, probably a little more limited, but it is hands down better than Apple radio. The playlists that Spotify puts out are great, and the ability for users to generate their own public playlists is great too.

The biggest drawbacks are because it is streaming you need some type of cell service, and it's going to take up data on your cell plan. Also a minor quirk I have with them is sometimes artists will only give them the edited versions of their songs, so if it's rap it's basically pointless to listen to.

All in all, for 9 bucks a month you get unlimited music and the best parts of every other music service out there. Let me know if you have any other questions.
mazag08
AG
Spotify is still a no brainer. I just wish they had a better way to browse new releases.. at least by genre.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:
Spotify is still a no brainer. I just wish they had a better way to browse new releases.. at least by genre.

Yeah I agree. They do new music Tuesday, it's a playlist of all the singles that they released that week, but it's not really the same as what you are asking.
mazag08
AG
quote:
quote:

Yeah I agree. They do new music Tuesday, it's a playlist of all the singles that they released that week, but it's not really the same as what you are asking.
It's about 1/10th of actual new releases. Most stuff just gets released directly to artist pages and unless you stumble upon it you dont see it. I got to rdio.com to find new releases, then I listen to them on Spotify.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I Didn't realize that, thanks.
Gmzb2001
AG
Spotify Premium has a download component just like Rhapsody. As long as you have enough memory on your phone, you can set anything on Spotify to be "Available offline" and it will download it to your phone. I always download over Wi-Fi so it won't use my data. You have can offline content saved to 3 different devices for the one Premium subscription. Also, I have never had a problem with edited content on Spotify Premium; it's as explicit as intended.
Philo B 93
I thought Apple Music was the greatest thing since sliced bread, until...........

When I first signed up, I learned that I can download any of the 30 million songs to my iphone for offline listening. Awesome, right? No - to do that you have to commit to turning on icloud music, which means I can't really have any of the 20,000 songs I've accumulated over the years available on my iphone because they'll all be uploaded to Apple's servers (the "cloud"). I've been pretty good about keeping up with music technology since napster came online, but as of last Tuesday, I'm lost.

Also, this sucks. Note to the Music Business: I bought your albums. Then I bought your 8-Tracks. Then I bought your cassettes. Then I bought your CDs, then I got a bunch of songs for free (thanks Napster), then I went legit again and bought 1000s of songs on iTunes. Now your finally saying, "Look, just pay us every month to listen to your music!"

Good grief!! Eff You.

Can someone please explain Apple Music in detail to me? I've googled it. I'm struggling.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
It is the same principle as Netflix, except for music. The average person doesn't spend 10 bucks on music a month. And if they do spend that much on music, they get what, like 12 songs out of the deal? So with wireless streaming, you are now able to get the best out of both worlds: you can listen to (virtually) unlimited music, and they get more money out of everyone. Does that answer your question? Or were you wondering how the actual streaming process works?

Also I know you can get songs to play offline on spotify. But I have been out in the middle of nowhere before, and with absolutely no cell reception, and I haven't been able to play it. So I do think it needs a minimal data connection.

And about the censored songs, it has gotten loads better. But I have been on Spotify since 2012, especially then, there was a bunch of stuff that had been censored, because the artists only gave Spotify the rights to those albums. But like I said, it is much better now.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG

quote:
Also I know you can get songs to play offline on spotify. But I have been out in the middle of nowhere before, and with absolutely no cell reception, and I haven't been able to play it. So I do think it needs a minimal data connection.

That's weird. I use mine all the time in airplane mode (so no cell/wireless service)
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:

quote:

That's weird. I use mine all the time in airplane mode (so no cell/wireless service)

Maybe my phone has AIDS
Topher17
AG
I am also confused on what is supposed to be new and different about Apple Music. I've had Spotify Premium for three years and they have given me no reason to consider switching services. You also can't beat the student discount Spotify offers!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.