***** Falling Skies (and Expectations): The Final Battle Thread *****

7,878 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by deep94
EMY92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
What is the aliens reason for being on Earth? Part of their over-arching battle with the Volm? I have no idea and I've watched every single season.
The queen sent her daughter to Earth several thousand years ago and she was killed by cavemen?!?!

OK, you've conquered intergalactic travel, but a couple of cavemen with rocks and spears defeated your invasion, so you come back and fight a much more technologically advanced civilization and crush all but a few hardy survivors, but lose due to the intervention of other aliens.
TX AG 88
AG
I could have sworn that she sent her daughter here "1500 years ago". So it wouldn't have been cavemen that killed her, but men from the Dark Ages.

Not that that's not about equally ridiculous.

I'm so glad the show is over. The idea that Tom could carry Anne from the vicinity of the Lincoln Memorial to the lake/bay where he met with the aliens (and Pope's appearance there) was just too much.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Saw something this morning that was a mildly interesting idea regarding Pope. What if, instead of him having been patched up and survived, you know, a building falling on him more or less, that Pope was a figment of his imagination much like how his "wife" was an image created by the alien?
jabberwalkie09
AG

quote:
TVLINE | Was there any discussion about leaving Anne dead, as the one great price Tom paid for humankind's ultimate victory?

No. Between the losses the 2nd Mass had already accumulated, plus the fact that we were killing off our new regular Demarcus Wolff (played by Daren A. Herbert), as a cautionary reminder of the life or death stakes that have always been a hallmark of the show), nearly killing Anne and definitely killing Pope it seemed the body count was sufficient for a finale.

TVLINE | Was there anyone else that cheated the Reaper, that was at one point offed in earlier drafts?

There was a great deal of debate about allowing Pope's "death" in Episode 509 be his final curtain, but I felt strongly that we needed to see a final Tom/Pope standoff in the last episode. After all, they've always symbolized the black-and-white nature of human beings at war.

http://tvline.com/2015/08/30/falling-skies-series-finale-recap-pope-dies-humans-win/
EMY92
AG
quote:
I could have sworn that she sent her daughter here "1500 years ago". So it wouldn't have been cavemen that killed her, but men from the Dark Ages.
I missed the "1500 years ago" part. I was trying to fall asleep by that point. I figured it was cave men due to the pictographs that told the story.

Once Pope reappeared and then died, I figured that Tom would carry him into the water as well as a bit of redemption.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
final tallies

AgShaun00 - 30
Agracer - 25
AgDev01 - 30
jabberwalkie09 - 25
EMY92 - 25
Fogburn95 - 30
TX AG 88 - 25
Muckraker96 - 15

Well, I slept on it, and let me tell you, I enjoyed my 3-1/2 year old daughter waking me up at 2:43 a.m. to tell me that she needed her blanket "on her shoulders" more than I enjoyed that last episode.

I wish I did drink because that would have been the time to do it.

I guess I'll just do this free-form, I don't want to think that episode through again. My favorite part, bar none, is that the Up with People speech at the Fakest Lincoln Memorial Ever at the end, when Jeff Fahey and the rest of his guys are wearing THE EXACT SAME CLOTHES THEY HAD ON DURING THE FINAL BATTLE. It's been at least 4-6 months based on Anne's tummy, but nope, me and my boys, we ride in the leather, we lived in the leather for all these years of the fight, now we can shower and change clothes, EFF THAT, SAME CLOTHES.

My other highlights include that I had no idea that Tom was killing the queen. Was it because he was touching the thing when she was touching him? Isn't that sort of Neo-Smith final Matrix fight logic? I think I might have enjoyed the finale of Falling Skies more than the Matrix Revolutions by the way.

i was hoping someone had shot the queen from behind, and was hoping it was Pope, but that would have made the show too grey.

Also like how Hal picks a firefight to ask Maggie to marry him after ignoring her for 4 episodes and hooking up with the Ruskie in that time. I'm going to have to write more later, I still can't get over the sheetiness of this thing.

jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
i was hoping someone had shot the queen from behind, and was hoping it was Pope, but that would have made the show too grey.

In a show where they had an alien construction impersonate Anne and Tom's daughter, and then kill her with a biological weapon, I don't see how Pope shooting the queen in the back would have made his show too grey. Personally, if Pope ha come back at that time and done that his inexplicable resurrection would have actually had some meaning to it. What we got was just forced, contrived bull to have a character that should have died with barely a whimper to have one last scene with the savior of the human race.... And well in reality, the rest of the galaxy I guess since we also had skitter fireworks.

You know in a show where death should have loomed over characters like a Whedon production, I'm having trouble picking anyone character death that actually made a difference in the story. Then resurrecting Anne at the end just said to me "Yeah, death means nothing to us in this show."
Rocagnante
AG
I don't know what yall are smoking but I rank this up there with the Breaking Bad "Ozymandias" episode.

Just kidding. That was horrible. The only thing redeeming about that experience is I tied for first in the prediction game.

So Toms on the steps of Lincoln memorial looking out over the mall that is crawling with Aspheni or whatever. The rest of the group emerges further south, having to cross said mall, but they never run into anything?

And that whole scene with Tom carrying Ann back to the coast, and running into Pope. Just dumb.

It's almost like they had started filming a 2 part series finale and then the big wigs told them "Stop. Don't film another scene. This is going nowhere so just take what you have and edit into one episode. We're pulling the plug on this one right now. Don't spend another dime filming,"
dcAg
I liked the show for the most part. The final showdown was obviously a disappointment as it would have been better if it was some sort of shootout at the OK corral with Tom shoving the Tylenol down the Queen's human hole.

There are a lot of questions that people are asking/points that posters bring up that are absolutely answered during the show. Also, we have no idea how alien races act or think. Why would you expect them to have the same reactions, motives, thought process etc as humans have?

We have gotten spoiled with some great TV shows over the past 10 years and while this wasn't one of those it was entertaining for 5 seasons.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
dcAg = Noah Wylie?

Here's a breakdown of what every character did on the final episode.

Ben : Told his dad Anne was dead; shot a gun a few times.
Hal: Asked Maggie to marry him, didn't mention this to new girlfriend; shot a gun a few times.
Matt: Did a futuristic book report; shot a gun a few times.
Weaver: Watched a guy nobody cared about die; shot a gun a few times
Anthony: Got promoted twice despite committing mutiny a month earlier.
Dingaan: Told Tom he had a phone call; got put in the American future military.
Pope: Didn't die, then died.
Anne: Gave Tom the most awkward timed pregnant news ever, then forgot to mention there was shrapnel in her, then died, then didn't die.
Lawnmower Man: Rode a motorcycle, talked tough, maybe shot a gun a few times.
Guy nobody cares about: Killed by a locust
Black solider who has never been developed: Talk fondly about memories, got killed when he, Harry, Ron, and Professor Lockhart entered the Chamber of Secrets
Maggie: Shot a gun a few times, settled for Hal.
Hal's girlfriend: Shot a gun a few times, escaped settling for Hal.
Cochise: Made up lame excuse about Volm fleet. Got noticeably shorter in final scene.
Tom Mason: Rallied the troops, led the fight, shot a gun a lot, killed the Queen, saved the galaxy, rebuil tthe Lincoln Memorial with the crappiest CGI ever, carried a corpse 45 miles, convinced a lake to use its tentacles to reanimate said corpse, didn't kill Pope, turned back on Pope dying, gave speech that 6 billion lined up for.
jabberwalkie09
AG
You know, what's funny is that you could probably apply half of those descriptions for what people did for the entire season... And it would sum up what they did.
jbeaman88
AG
The biggest question I had didn't get answered; did Weaver's Camaro SS survive intact?
deep94
AG
Did they ever explain what was going on with the Nazca Lines?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.