Texas Folklore & Legends

12,669 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Triad
Ringo88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The ghost light on the old train track road outside of Silsbee. Straight-as-an-arrow dirt road with an almost solid tree canopy.

I drove it at dusk and it feels like you're in a tunnel. No matter what folks think they've seen, I can see how they'd get spooked. Nowhere to go but forward three miles to the next crossroad.
Jack Leatherman
Lake Worth Goatman
cookeag
AG
It's pretty hard to top. Another story I was told growing up was during WWII one of the locals intercepted a German radio transmission in some form or fashion and was able to decipher it and report it to the proper authorities. He was able to do this considering a significant amount of the residents in the town still spoke German. I believe that taught German in the school up until the outbreak of WWII.
aggiesportsfiend10
AG
So, lots of women drowned their babies in rivers in Texas, it seems.

The Muenster story is nuts, especially since she went on and kept abusing money. Definitely unstable.

The Ghost Light in Silsbee reminds me of a stretch of road in my hometown. It too is heavily covered, crosses a dangerous portion of the train tracks (can't see either way until you're on top of the tracks) and gets creepily foggy at night. I used to drive it nightly going home from my SO's house and always got an uneasy feeling.

I appreciate the stories and links guys. I'll check out the books mentioned here as well.

nai06
AG
quote:
The first book is still a work in progress, but hopefully will be done fairly soon. I have a few people reading it and I am editing based on peer suggestions. Want to try and begin query process this fall. It's a young adult fiction based in South Carolina about a group of young 20 somethings overcoming a struggle when America is taken over by an underground terrorist society. I've never written a book before so it was quite an experience. Already have the itch to get a second one rolling.
good luck to you. Its a tough road ahead but dont get discouraged. If I might offer a little advice, dont let those close to you help you edit unless they also write themselves. Its kinda like having someone who doesnt golf help you with your golf swing. Also family and close friends wont always give you honesty when you really need it.
aggiesportsfiend10
AG
Thanks. One of my readers is my old high school English teacher and writing coach. She is a writer herself and kind of helped me hone into my skill over the years. I have been looking for different avenues to receive feedback from non-familial people and have a request for readers posted up on the NaNoWriMo site. However, I am not entirely sure where else I can find readers other than stopping them on the street. Do you have any suggestions for that?
nai06
AG
Local writers groups, twitter, or for your genr even scbwi as they include YA too.
VanZandt92
quote:
I miss Fischer's summer sausage.

I miss every item in that store.
VanZandt92
Witch Lady Van Zandt County
VanZandt92
Pink House Murders Van Zandt co. I can't find that story written.
VanZandt92
quote:
In Waco, there is a folktale about how the devastating tornado that hit there in the 1950s followed the same path as the mob that lynched Jesse Washington in 1916.

That's awesome right there.
nickstro66
AG
The haunted Walmart in Galveston is a popular one
Post removed:
by user
Texas Yarddog
AG
The Hairyman Legend
The Lost Gold of Sam Bass

Both local Round Rock legends.
ellebee
Burned down Orphanage and cemetery on cemetery road in Santa Fe, tx.
plowboy1065
S
It's Bragg Rd. outside Saratoga not Silsbee. 8 miles straight as an arrow and creepy as hell. Went down there during the day to scope it out before we went back that night. Somehow I picked up a knife blade in my tire and got a flat. Didn't take me long while changing that tire to realize that I didn't not want to do that at night out there in that haunted place
CivilAg10
AG
I'd always heard stories growing up about an underground tunnel system in Athens; I think the story was that there are five separate tunnels, each beginning at the courthouse and then spanning out through town. Supposedly they were constructed back in the mid to late 19th century and may have been used for nefarious activities. Always sounded like a pretty far out there urban legend.

Now, Fuller's Park (also in Athens)...the stories behind it (historical facts and myths) are pretty interesting and weird/creepy.
nickstro66
AG
Also the Hash-Slinging Slasher is pretty popular
tamc91
AG
The Goat Man is at Lake Lewisville! In fact there is a Goat Man's bridge on the upper end of the lake.

True story...in high school, we took a couple of girls out to the bridge with ulterior motives. We drove up to an old trailer and told the girls the goat man killed several people there. Just then, the silhouette of a hunched figure crossed past a broken window in front of the headlights. After many years I realize we probably just woke up a homeless dude, but at the time we were all pretty sure the goat man was about to claim 4 new victims. We all freaked out and sped away on a dirt road. We topped a hill with our headlights shining on a group of robed people around a bonfire with some sort of skinned animal hanging from a tree. Of course, we really freaked out then and peeled out in a skidding 180. They all started running toward us or their cars. We didn't slow down until we got back into Lewisville. No action for us that night since the girls were completely mental due to to witnessing the goat man and a bunch of devil worshipers in a 2-3 min stretch.

That being said, I think the San Antonio railroad track, bus acident ghost helpers is the best wide spread story. All my friends from SA swear it is true and have tested it with flour on the back of their cars, which they swear produced small hand prints as the cars are moved off the tracks without running.
Post removed:
by user
duck79
AG
The SA railroad track story is very well known. It seems everybody knows somebody who knows somebody that tested it.
bangobango
AG
quote:
I'd always heard stories growing up about an underground tunnel system in Athens; I think the story was that there are five separate tunnels, each beginning at the courthouse and then spanning out through town. Supposedly they were constructed back in the mid to late 19th century and may have been used for nefarious activities. Always sounded like a pretty far out there urban legend.

Now, Fuller's Park (also in Athens)...the stories behind it (historical facts and myths) are pretty interesting and weird/creepy.

Lot of good legends with Athens' tunnel system and the occult, most centered around Fuller's Park. Thunder bridge and Monkey Road in Athens is also interesting and ties into the occult legends.

As far as reality goes, you cannot beat the legend of Jess Sweeton:
God-Family-Friends-Ag FB
The Phil Collins "In The Air Tonight" story.
bigjohn1
AG
The Fish Pond Manager of College Station
VanZandt92
quote:

I bet there is nary a basement in Athens, much less a tunnel.
Triad
AG
The goat man in Lake Worth was serrrius bidniss.

Clarks Ferry in Grand Saline.

What are the pink house murders and witch lady, VZ? I also may or may not be from the Free State.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.