Texas Folklore & Legends

12,804 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Triad
aggiesportsfiend10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am in the process of researching topics for a second novel and would like to roughly base it on a unique Texas legend/folklore type tale. I have done some light internet searching but have not been too successful with this. I would prefer to get to a library for some hard source material, but sadly, I do not live in the State of Texas and do not believe the libraries here would offer much in this area.

Anyway, most of these legends are shared by word of mouth anyway, so I thought I'd ask you to share some of your favorite stories you have been told. They don't necessarily have to be true or based on fact (i.e. the Mexicans burying their cannons along the Lavaca River during the Texas Revolution), and I know of some legends already, like La Lechuza. I find them all interesting, and figured someone out there has a cool story to share.

Thanks!
Sex Panther
AG
I always thought this story was interesting although I'm a Sam Houston fan and this paints him as a pretty big dick

http://downtownaustinblog.org/2010/02/15/the-women-who-saved-austin-how-austin-became-the-capital-of-texas/
Ag 11
AG
The one about the guy who killed Bigfoot outside of San Antonio
TXAG 05
AG
Fang Baby of Old Pearsall Road

The Goat Lady

Midget Mansion
Sex Panther
AG
Here's a site you'll probably like. My friend has the book.

http://www.weirdus.com/states/texas/
R0GUE
AG
There's always the mainstays:

Pecos Bill
The Jackalope
El Chupacabra
The Marfa Lights
MSFC Aggie
AG
midgetville
aggiesportsfiend10
AG
Thanks for the responses so far. Can anyone shed any light on the Goat Lady? Can't seem to find much on her at the moment.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I have no proof of this, as I have only heard about this through word of mouth, but LBJ's nickname was Bull**** when he was in college. Like when he became president reporters would find old classmates of his and ask them about him, and they would say things along the lines of, "No I never went to school with the president. I went to school with a Bull**** Johnson, but never a Lyndon B Johnson."
TXAG 05
AG
quote:
Thanks for the responses so far. Can anyone shed any light on the Goat Lady? Can't seem to find much on her at the moment.
http://texascryptidhunter.blogspot.com/2014/02/the-legend-of-donkey-lady-of-san-antonio.html

http://www.examiner.com/article/san-antonio-s-donkey-lady-bridge-is-chilling-whether-truth-or-tale
aggiesportsfiend10
AG
Ah, it's the Donkey Lady. Didn't know she was also known as the Goat Lady. Also heard about a hairy female habituating the Navidad River back in the 1800s so wasn't sure that was related.

All of these stories tell me to avoid certain parts of San Antonio after nightfall. Noted.

My family is from Lavaca County so I'm well versed in Chupacabre tales and the devil worshippers at Dilworth. Made a trip out there myself in High School and only found a pack of mean dogs.

TXAG 05
AG
My bad. Don't know why I typed goat in the first place.
PlanoAg98
AG
quote:
Ah, it's the Donkey Lady.
I thought of Tijuana.
TX scallywAG
AG
Can't have a Texas book without Jean Lafitte!
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
Ragoo
AG
What is your first novel?
AliasMan02
AG
The ghost tracks in San Antonio.
AgDev01
AG
Midget Mansion In San Antonio
aggiesportsfiend10
AG
The first book is still a work in progress, but hopefully will be done fairly soon. I have a few people reading it and I am editing based on peer suggestions. Want to try and begin query process this fall. It's a young adult fiction based in South Carolina about a group of young 20 somethings overcoming a struggle when America is taken over by an underground terrorist society. I've never written a book before so it was quite an experience. Already have the itch to get a second one rolling.
Ag 11
AG
The haunted train tracks is a good one too
Bullmoose
AG
Sarah Jane road
PooDoo
AG
aggie grant

mfbarnes
Bruce Almighty
AG
Johnny Football
Vince Blake
In Waco, there is a folktale about how the devastating tornado that hit there in the 1950s followed the same path as the mob that lynched Jesse Washington in 1916.
Post removed:
by user
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
References to LBJ make me want to suggest something about Georgie Parr and the Senatorial election of 1948. Just sayin'
cookeag
AG
Not really an urban legend but an extremely interesting story nonetheless.

http://www.fwweekly.com/2012/05/16/madness-in-muenster/
Ragoo
AG
Teenage/college thriller based on a weekend floating the river but things turn wild one night when they discover their hotel is haunted. Prince Solms Inn

http://www.mysanantonio.com/lifestyle/travel-outdoors/article/A-ghostly-weekend-in-New-Braunfels-5846608.php
PhiAggie
AG
Look up "Stories That Must Not Die" by Juan Sauvageau. I have volumes 1 & 2.
Big Al 1992
AG
The Face on the Wall at the old UTMB building in Galveston. We used to go throw rocks and tomatoes at it. Got a warning for
Trespassing. Heard lots of good stories about the background of it.
Groosome
AG
The goat lady is child's play.... The Goatman of Lake Worth was the real deal though! He was terrorizing people at the lake... Throwing tires hundreds of yards... had the whole Tarrant county abuzz searching for him and even had newspaper articles about him!
Mucho austin
AG
Worlds smallest skyscraper scam in Wichita Falls.

Adding to LBJ stories:

Billy Sol Estes was apparently a henchman for LBJ doing some of his dirty work. Includes some "unsolved" murder mysteries. ie: self inflicted gunshot wounds that aren't possible.

Corporal Punishment
AG
Ha ha...you must be from Cooke County. My parents moved away from Muenster recently.

They told me this story awhile back and I thought they were making it up.
Jrock76
AG
The mansion on toddsville rd
cookeag
AG
I grew up close to the house and I ha actually been in it a few times.
Corporal Punishment
AG
I miss Fischer's summer sausage.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.