Star Wars

4,021 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Aggieco17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know there's a lot about this online and there could be a post on here about it, but I wanted to get the opinion of some Ags. I have recently purchased both trilogies and have never watched Star Wars at all. What order should I watch them in?
PatriotAg02
AG
The storyline says go in order of episodes........

but i'd watch it in chronological order.......like the rest of us had to.
TCTTS
AG
4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 6

You're going to get a lot of "4, 5, 6 and that's it" posts, but since you already purchased the prequels, the above is the recommended order. Five ends on a huge cliffhanger (I can't believe I'm treating the biggest reveal in the history of cinema as a spoiler), and the idea is to then treat 1, 2 and 3 as an "extended flashback" to fill in the backstory before finishing out the original trilogy with the final movie.
Philip J Fry
AG
Do yourself a favor and return episodes 1-3
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This.
AgLaw02
AG
TCTTs has it right, but I'd suggest 1 modification: Skip #1 altogether. It doesn't remove anything you need for the plot, & you take out a ton of Jar Jar & annoying kid Anakin. It's a horrible movie and it doesn't leave any holes if you skip it.
Ag Since 83
AG
Alternative solution: watch 4, 5, 6, and enjoy them. Then watch 1, 2, and 3 while playing a Star Wars prequels drinking game you get on the internet. Being hammered will help.

Although if I'm being honest, I actually think 3 is a decent movie. There's still plenty to dislike, but it's significantly better than 1 and 2.
CrottyKid
AG
I recently watched them 1 thru 6. I didn't like it as much as 4 5 6 1 2 3.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
TCTTS has the best order to watch. Next best is how us olds had to watch them - 4-5-6-1-2-3
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Do not skip 1. The complete story of Paltapine's rise to power is a pretty good one. And of course it all boils down to Jar Jar.
chipotle
In this order:

Star Wars
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars: Return of the Jedi

That's it. Try and find the original editions. The ones Lucas didn't skeet all over.
Duncan Idaho
Don't forget the Christmas special
jeffk
AG
And the Endor movies!
West Texan
AG
Where did you go wrong in life that you've never seen Star Wars?!
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:
In this order:

Star Wars
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars: Return of the Jedi

That's it. Try and find the original editions. The ones Lucas didn't skeet all over.

It is a pretty good dilemma: do you want to watch the unadulterated, maybe politically incorrect, originals, or do you want to watch them in HD?
The Collective
AG
Do not start with Ep 1, because you'll never get to the original trilogy.
snowdog90
No movie has ever been as disappointing as Phantom Menace.
TRM
AG
quote:
TCTTs has it right, but I'd suggest 1 modification: Skip #1 altogether. It doesn't remove anything you need for the plot, & you take out a ton of Jar Jar & annoying kid Anakin. It's a horrible movie and it doesn't leave any holes if you skip it.
Anakin is still annoying in 2 & 3.
The Collective
AG
quote:

1 is still a better movie than 2, yet I get the point that 2 is a lot more important to the overall story.
Kashchei
AG
Or just watch the podrace and lightsaber duel. Those are the only redeeming qualities of TPM.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I still maintain that if you cut out Jar Jar and ignore the "Yippee!", there's a good movie in there.
Rudyjax
AG
Just pretend 1-3 did not exsist.
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
I still maintain that if you cut out Jar Jar and ignore the "Yippee!" and 99% of the Anakin dialog and Midi-chlorians and Samuel L Jackson and the Trade Federation BS, there's a good movie in there.

FIFY
VanZandt92
Finally a new Star Wars thread
Duncan Idaho
I really hope jj can somehow roll back the midiclorian thing and the Virgin birth
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I understand the virgin birth, but what problem do you have with the Midichlorians?
Duncan Idaho
1)some **** doesn't need explaining.
2)so if the force is the result of these little things does that mean that rocks and boxes and la set bolts and every other inorganic thing in the universe is filled with midiclorians?

Plus the name is just ****ing lazy....hmm what can I call a symbiotic creature that lives in the all cells of of almost all living beings? Midocondria..err hummm i mean midiclorians. Yeah that's the ticket

Ag Since 83
AG
Midichlorians sound like something I expect a Scientologist to claim were distributed worldwide by volcano eruptions after being put there by Xenu.
Philip J Fry
AG
Better question is why you don't have with problem with the midichlorian bull crap.
InternetFan02
AG
Watch 4,5,6 like 100 times each over the course of 20 years. Watch the special editions of 4,5,6 another 10 times. Pretend like episode 1 will be the greatest thing ever. Get a costume. Then watch 1,2,3
chipotle
Yoda already explained the force in ESB. It was a wondrous thing and it should have stayed that way. Then phantom menace got all biology and ***t.
zgood10
AG
Watch 4-5-6, then watch the Red Letter Media Star Wars prequel reviews

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/
Say Chowdah
AG
quote:
I understand the virgin birth, but what problem do you have with the Midichlorians?
Because it was just facking stupid!

It was a made up BS. "The force is strong in this one" is enough!
Say Chowdah
AG
My real hope is that now that Lucas is no longer the controlling factor, Disney does the right thing and clean up the original 3. I didn't mind some of the additional material to flesh things out, but to blatantly change the story lines and characters is inexcusable.

The argument of "well its his story he can do what he wants" doesn't hold up anymore.

So: Han shot Greedo in cold blood! To make it self defense is revisionist history. "Star Wars" was "Star Wars" not Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Granted I was 9 when TPM came out, so I I didn't realize until later how bad Lucas was raping everyone from the 70's and 80's childhood. But I still don't think it's that big a deal that he went into depth about the biological processes of the force. God forbid Lucas introduces some science in his science fiction movies.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.