Help me find a song

2,971 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Glish21
Ulrich
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I may be crazy. However, I think there is a (relatively) contemporary song that includes the piano sound that this Mozart piano quartet. In my head this is a Beatles song, but it may just have a similar sound to the vocals... or not, I'm really bad at music.
PatAg
AG
Sounds similar to the beginning of eleanor rigby
]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xajQUEPXRyg
Professor Frick
AG
The VERY beginning of that Mozart bit has a little descending progression that reminds me of Ben Fold's "Zac and Sara"
10thYrSr
You might be thinking of the opera scene from 5th element?

link
Sazerac
AG
Eleanor Rigby mixed with Coldplays Viva La Vida?
Tobias Funke
AG
Regina Spektor- Us

E.KingTrill
I think it's this one

R0GUE
AG
Sorry I can't think of what it would be, some of the ones listed above sound right but maybe not what you were thinking of.

It did get me thinking, what are some of your favorite modern songs based on Classical Music? And who do you think they sound like?

My list would be:
Whiter Shade of Pale - Procol Harum/Bach (Air on a G String)
Mr. Blue Sky - ELO (Beethoven)
Eleanor Rigby - Beatles (Mozart)
Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody (Rossini/Barber of Seville)
Hook - Blues Traveler (Pachelbel/Canon in D)
Muse - Knights of Cydonia (Wagner)
G Martin 87
AG
Bohemian Rhapsody was based in part on Tevye's graveyard dream sequence scene in Fiddler on the Roof.
G Martin 87
AG
The instrumental at the end of Muse's "United States of Eurasia" is Chopin's Nocturne #2 in Eb.
Professor Frick
AG
All those others (including Muse's Wagner-inspired Knights) are inspired by those composers. That part at the end of Eurasia is kind of annoying to me, that they just toss this whole other piece at the end of their own song, and that it's not like he's riffing on the melody, he seems to be attempting to actually just play the piece note for note, and still gets a couple of the runs wrong. Either create something new that is inspired by it, or play it right.
Professor Frick
AG
I do also like Bright Eyes' Road to Joy
Professor Frick
AG
Oh, and I was listening to the classical station the other day, they were playing Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 2 and I thought, hey that sounds familiar.

Recognize this tune at 2:50?
R0GUE
AG
quote:
Bohemian Rhapsody was based in part on Tevye's graveyard dream sequence scene in Fiddler on the Roof.

That's really interesting I'll need to give it a listen. I was thinking of the Figaro part of Barber of Seville and the similarity to Rhapsody's "Gallileo".
PatAg
AG
We need to know Ulrich!
Ulrich
So far no dice. Eventually it will come on the radio again... it is irritatingly just out of reach of remembrance of enough lyrics to track it down.
Jim01
AG
How about any lyrics?
Funky Winkerbean
AG
The Fray

Ulrich
Finally found it!

Ulrich
You people have no idea how much time I've spent trying to come up with this over the last six months. Finally heard it on the radio in a restaurant.
Scotch
AG
quote:
In my head this is a Beatles song, but it may just have a similar sound to the vocals...
This Paul McCartney or whoever he is, the guy that sings the song you were thinking of, sounds like he tries to copy the Beatles sound pretty hard core. No wonder you were confused.
Ulrich
So lucky for him when Kanye made his career!
Glish21
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.