Science Fiction and Fantasy Books you Like

4,488 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Garrelli 5000
3rd and 2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just finished with The Martian by Andy Weir, and wow was that a good book! I'm looking to get more books.

In trade, here are some books that I have enjoyed in the past year or two.

Anything Brandon Sanderson: Words of Radiance, The Rithmatist, Perfect State, Firefight, I always snatch up anything by Brandon right away
Jack Campbell: His Lost Fleet series of books and his Pillars of Reality series are awesome, I get each new one that comes out
Patrick Rothfuss: Just recently read The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear and both are excellent
Anything by John Scalzi: Redshirts was funny sci-fi and his Old Man's War series does not disappoint

Can you suggest any other excellent scifi/fantasy books that you really enjoy?
Wade_3
AG
The Forever War - John Haldeman

Anything by Heinlein

Also, listened to Lock-in and Android's Dream by Scalzi. Neither were, IMO, as good as Old Man's War, but they were both enjoyable.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
The Forever War - John Haldeman

Absolutely loved this book
Wade_3
AG
Have you listened to the other books in the series? I really enjoyed Forever War but after reading the summaries of the other two books I'm not sure if they are worth investing time into.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
Have you listened to the other books in the series? I really enjoyed Forever War but after reading the summaries of the other two books I'm not sure if they are worth investing time into.

No. I don't remember what they were about, but I know I looked into them and felt the same way you did.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Forever Peace is really good but I didn't care for Forever Free.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
everything on here right now I have read and like. Except for the Pillars of reality books. I just looked it up and is it really ONLY available on kindle or audio? There is no paperback?

Oh and since you didn't say it, I would suggest the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. another one is the The Expanse Series by James S.A. Corey ( Leviathan Wakes is the first book)
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Just re-read The Eyes of a Dragon by Stephen King. His one Young Adult book, but I had forgotten how good it was.
3rd and 2
AG
Pillars of Eternity is weird. The publisher came out with the audio books first.

I purchased the first Dresden book and am listening to it now. Thanks for the referral.
AgLaw
AG
I read the Incarnations of Immortality series by Piers Anthony when I was in middle school and thought it wa the best thing I'd ever read.

Read it again as an adult and still liked it, but not as much.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
Have you listened to the other books in the series?

I just noticed this and it made me laugh
Bruce Almighty
AG
The Hominid trilogy by Robert Sawyer is really good. Basically a gateway is opened to a parallel universe where Humans died out and hominids became the dominant species on Earth.
CrottyKid
AG
Frankenstein
Rudyjax
AG
Here are two that you will love me for.

Both series available as podcasts or ebooks.

The Traders Tales by Nathan Lowell. Book 1, Quartershare.

The GFL, by Scott Siglar. First book, The Rookie.
mid90
AG
The Expanse series by James S.A. Corey
Kashchei
AG
"The Man in the High Castle" by Philip K Dick.

Not necessarily sci-fi; more alternate reality. I still highly recommend it.
Kashchei
AG
Oh, I can also recommend a crap ton of Star Wars books if you're into those.
Wade_3
AG
quote:
quote:
Have you listened to the other books in the series?

I just noticed this and it made me laugh

Ha, yea. I listen to most of my books on my drive to/from work and sometimes I forget that most normal people read books.
heddleston
AG
Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons. Do not, I repeat DO NOT read his Endymion books. They are stupid and dumb.
heddleston
AG
Also check out the Magic 2.0 books by Scott Meyer. The first one is Off to be the Wizard. They are fun quick reads.
jeffk
AG
Just started Dune, so I can't recommend it personally yet, but it's highly regarded by most sci-fi fans I talk to.

I loved the "Rama" trilogy by A.C. Clark and "Footfall" by Larry Niven (it won some sci-fi awards too).
Duncan Idaho
Avoid anything after my first 1000 or so lives.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
The first Dune book is the best sci-fi ever written ( well it and enders Game) to me. The first 4 Dune books are very good. But I agree with the above reanimated Duncan Idaho that after that ( the rest of the series) it isn't nearly as good.
Rudyjax
AG
http://podiobooks.com/title/trader-tales-1-quarter-share/

http://podiobooks.com/title/the-rookie/

You can get them on a podcast too.

JJxvi
AG
For some similar epic fantasy I recommend trying out Robin Hobb starting with Assassin's Apprentice

For sci-fi I recommend trying out Doomsday Book by Connie Willis (optionally read the short story Fire Watch as a starter. Especially recommend Willis if you also like historical fiction.
Saxsoon
AG
The Expanse Series.

Actually reading the Halo books right now. I forgot how much of an engrossing universe that Bungie created. It is a neat sci-fi universe, and I am not even talking about the covenant. I love how the books go into inter-planet politics in between the different colonies.
KeithDB
AG
Well, I'm really close to this author of a SciFi/Fantasy series I really like . . .
Al Bula
AG
Dune is by far my favorite scifi series. The five Frank Herbert books are incredible. Avoid anything written by his son and Kevin Anderson.
mid90
AG
quote:
The Expanse Series.

Actually reading the Halo books right now. I forgot how much of an engrossing universe that Bungie created. It is a neat sci-fi universe, and I am not even talking about the covenant. I love how the books go into inter-planet politics in between the different colonies.
10thYrSr
Plus one for Hyperion. It has multiple story lines that force you to become invested in. You love some characters and then hate them, while hating some and then loving and relating to them. A perfect novel!
G Martin 87
AG
quote:
For sci-fi I recommend trying out Doomsday Book by Connie Willis (optionally read the short story Fire Watch as a starter. Especially recommend Willis if you also like historical fiction.

I enjoyed Doomsday Book, but I can't recommend Blackout or All Clear. I could only take so much of the principal characters whining about "why hasn't the retrieval team found me yet?" before I had to just quit.
G Martin 87
AG
Some of my favorites:

Dune (first 5 books only)
Ender's Game / Speaker for the Dead
anything by Heinlein (but especially Starship Troopers, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, and Double Star)
A Canticle for Leibowitz -- Walter Miller
A Case of Conscience -- James Blish
The Left Hand of Darkness -- Ursula K. LeGuin
The Retief series -- Keith Laumer
heddleston
AG
quote:
Plus one for Hyperion. It has multiple story lines that force you to become invested in. You love some characters and then hate them, while hating some and then loving and relating to them. A perfect novel!
''

this. I HATED Kassad early on. then he became my favorite.
OCEN99
AG
New Neal Stephenson this week!
KidDoc
AG
I'm so glad I keep up with the reader posts or I doubt I would have ever found Sanderson aside from him completing WOT. Just finished Mistborn and man he just keeps knocking them out of the park. His setting and characters are amazing!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.