Comics.

10,236 Views | 127 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by AboveAndBeyond
AboveAndBeyond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It looked like the MCU thread was taking a new turn into comics, figured I'd just start a new thread where we can discuss them.

I just currently got back into reading them with the new Secret Wars series. Anyone have thoughts on this? So far I'm enjoying it, but also sad to see some of the characters go.... I really hope they use it as a movie, in 6 or so years of course.

I haven't started the DC part of the crossover yet but have 0-6 at home waiting. I also picked up some of the tie ins (Old Man Logan, Planet Hulk, etc...) But have only finished Infinity Wars (?) #1.

I saw that some people were interested in Civil War, if you'd like....shoot me an email and I can set you up with the 83 or so that I've got. Or you can try

http://mahacopia.blogspot.com/2011/02/marvel-civil-war-1-of-7-comic.html?m=1 Which is where I collected some of my series.

Question. Where can I find a list of comics being released? I assume they are just released on Wednesdays now?
FTACO97
AG
New comics come out every Wednesday. ComicList is a good site that gives you the list of all the comics that come out each week, from every publisher.

I read the Civil War storyline a couple of years ago. Is an awesome story line and I wish that Marvel had the rights to all their properties to tell the story right in the movies.

I'm very behind on the current Marvel comics, but am an avid DC reader (mostly Batman family comics) and am about to hit the End Game series that hit DC last year I think. DC is now currently going through their Convergence story line that I think is going to be a reboot of sorts. Marvel is doing something similar.

I do all my comics digitally through Comixology and the DC app.
Dro07
AG
graphic novels
Red Five
AG
I'm very interested in Secret Wars, but less interested in paying for comics. I do all my reading through Marvel Unlimited, so I look forward to reading it when it shows up there in 6-9 months.

I'm kind of bummed out by Secret Wars though. The whole concept with universes colliding and Battleworld being formed and all that is just kind of confusing to me (although its getting more interesting as I read more about it). Plus as you said, its sad to say goodbye to Earth-616 and some of the characters that wont be making the transition. Its also sad to see the Ultimate Universe go. I really liked Ultimate X-men and really, really loved Ultimate Spider-man (pre-Miles, haven't read as much of the stuff with him).

Although I'm very interested in the new 1872 series coming out- Marvel characters reimagined in a wild west setting. It's similar in concept to the 1602 series that Neil Gaiman did for them several years back.
AboveAndBeyond
1872 looks VERY interesting!

The DC crossover I was talking about is Convergence. They are doing an epic end all with Secret Wars and Convergence. I haven't decided if I'm going to read the DC side stories or not though.

And I was in the same boat as you, real skeptical about starting Secret Wars but am enjoying it so far.
AboveAndBeyond
By the way. I saw Civil War #1 at Hastings the other day for $1. I guess they are rereleasing it? Might be a good pick up for those of you who want actual paper in your hands.
FTACO97
AG
quote:
The DC crossover I was talking about is Convergence. They are doing an epic end all with Secret Wars and Convergence. I haven't decided if I'm going to read the DC side stories or not though.

I didn't realize there was actually Marvel/DC crossover with these 2. Interesting.
fig96
AG
Comixology reader here as well, I also read Marvel Unlimited for the older stuff.

Current series worth reading are Batman by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo (Snyder should be writing all the films IMO), Detective Comics (Francis Manapul is my current favorite artist), and Rocket Raccoon. The the Hawkeye run by Matt Fraction and David Aja is also outstanding, I think they've got one issue left.

The best thing I've read in the last year or so, also unfortunately about to end, is a series called C.O.W.L. by Kyle Higgins and Rod Reis. It's a story about unionized superheroes in Chicago in the 60s and has this rough, gritty art style that's just beautiful.

AboveAndBeyond
Here's what I know about it.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/5/6/8560979/secret-wars-explained
Red Five
AG
quote:
quote:
I didn't realize there was actually Marvel/DC crossover with these 2. Interesting.
As far as I have been able to tell there isnt a crossover between the companies. Both just happen to be rebooting their universes in the exact same way at the exact same time. weird. DC's is about to end and Marvel's is just beginning.
Quad Dog
AG
For those of you complaining about cost, check out your local library. I've read most of Fraction's Hawkeye and Saga, plus a few older omnibus from there.
Jasomania
AG
quote:
By the way. I saw Civil War #1 at Hastings the other day for $1. I guess they are rereleasing it? Might be a good pick up for those of you who want actual paper in your hands.

They are re-releasing a bunch of first issues to key story arcs. They are calling them "true believers" editions and you can pick them up for 1 dollar. Marvel also dropped the price on these issues digitally on comixology so you can pick them up there for 99 cents as well (https://www.comixology.com/comics-sale)
AliasMan02
AG
As well as Marvel has done, I can't figure out why they won't replace Ultimate with an MCU line of comics. Stories that take place in the cinematic timeline, operated like Lucasfilm does the Star Wars new EU.

Best we've had are tie-in comics, which are always subpar.

To do that right would tap a whole new market.
thriller03
AG
Not being an experienced comic guy (just jumping in on Secret Wars), I would imagine they are streamlining it to be essentially an MCU type universe. I do agree that tagging it as MCU would make it more accessible.

Jasomania
AG
quote:
As well as Marvel has done, I can't figure out why they won't replace Ultimate with an MCU line of comics. Stories that take place in the cinematic timeline, operated like Lucasfilm does the Star Wars new EU.

Best we've had are tie-in comics, which are always subpar.

To do that right would tap a whole new market.

It looks to me like they are making some moves in the comics to do exactly that. For stuff like Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant Man they put out new ongoing series a few months to a couple years a head of the movies release to get people familiar with the characters. I think they are using their comics right now as a testing ground to familiarize people with older properties and to try out some story arcs and see how people react.

But I think their overall plan (which sucks) is to adjust the comics so that they don't focus on the properties they don't own in house. They have reduced the presence of the Fantastic Four in most of the books over the last year and ended their own going series a couple of months before the release of a new movie. They are using Dr. Doom in the Secret Wars crossover but i suspect when its over Doom and the rest of the FF will have very small or no role in the comics going forward.

X-men are too popular to just get rid of the same way but there are rumors that following secret wars they will be in space and kept fairly separate from the rest of the marvel universe. But they also started a new Inhumans on going series and are really pushing inhumans to fill the role that mutants play in the marvel universe.

All-New All-Different Avengers (with lady thor and falcon captain america) looks like its Marvel's response to hedge their bets and get some stories out with other people in their most iconic character roles for when the big actors bail and they need to replace their roles.
AboveAndBeyond
THATs what the true believers thing is? I grabbed them all but Spiderman thinking they were side stories or intros into LastDays/WarZones or somethin .
AboveAndBeyond
I'm a little out of the loop, secret wars is the first comic I've read in 15+ years. Anyone have a timeline of stuff I can read that led UP TO Secret Wars?
SeattleAgJr
quote:
I'm a little out of the loop, secret wars is the first comic I've read in 15+ years. Anyone have a timeline of stuff I can read that led UP TO Secret Wars?
Look at the recent Avengers series that go back the past 3 or so years. All the books written by Jonathan Hickman lead up to Secret Wars (which he is also writing).,
West Texan
AG
quote:
THATs what the true believers thing is? I grabbed them all but Spiderman thinking they were side stories or intros into LastDays/WarZones or somethin .

There will be War Zone stories that tie in to Secret Wars that will have the same title as the classic stories that they re-released in True Believers, i.e. there will be a new Infinity Gauntlet story.
AliasMan02
AG
Check reddit or just do some Google searching and you can usually find reading orders posted by fans. It's really something that the publishers should be doing, but don't.
AboveAndBeyond
Makes sense. That explains why the Infinity #1 I just read has the back story of Thanos and Lady Deat . Ha!
Jasomania
AG
quote:

Honestly I've been trying to follow this new secret wars since they announced it last summer and only have a slight understanding of what their plan is.

I decided to really jump into this thing so it'll mean buying a lot of issues and $$, but i'm certainly not buying all the tie in issues. I'm looking to spend between 60 to 100 dollars total for the whole event out of pocket.

Here is my plan of attack on this thing. I'm going to start by picking up the new secret wars main series and read them as they come out. It looks like it will give you the primary (convoluted as it is) story with little glimpses of what is going on in the different battle worlds. So if they mention a battle world that seems interesting i'll pick up its tie in issue but if its something that seems lame or I don't care about i won't.

There are some tie in issues i'm all ready set to get when they come out regardless because i liked their original story (house of m, civil war, old man logan, etc.) and already have those on my pull list.

I'm going to also read the "true believers" issues of all the books (some i have already read but it would be a good refresher) which include:

Infinity Gauntlet 1
Marvel Zombies 1
X-Men Alpha 1
Civil War 1
Planet Hulk 1
Civil War 1
House of M 1
Wolverine 66
Iron Man 225
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man (2011) 1
Age of Ultron 1

If i'm hooked in by the first issue i'll read the rest of that story line, and if i really like it possibly pick up the tie in issues for the new secret wars. The ones i'm on the fence for or not interested in i'll wait 6 months and read when they come out on Marvel Digital Unlimited.

The best way to go about reading these back issues is through Marvel Digital Unlimited, its 60 dollars a year or 10 a month and it has most back issues up until about 6 months ago. It's like netflix and its an all you can read streaming service. They have apps for Android and iOS for it and it is really meant to be used reading on a tablet. So it includes the complete event and tie in's for all these true believers story lines so you aren't breaking the bank to buy them all.

I'm also going to attempt to read some of the recent Hickman issues of Avengers that he's been doing for the last 3 years that lead up to this. All of these i'll be reading on Marvel Digital unlimited and for the 6 month gap i'll just read them as they come out on MDU.
AboveAndBeyond
The only True Believers issue I can't find is the Spiderman one. I was never a huge Spidey fan but wanted to check it out before Renew Your Vows came ou .

Question about those of you who use the digital app. Can I read ones I've purchased offline? I'm not always by WiFi with my tablet but could use my phone for a hot spot if needed
fig96
AG
quote:
Question about those of you who use the digital app. Can I read ones I've purchased offline? I'm not always by WiFi with my tablet but could use my phone for a hot spot if needed
On Comixology, yes, once you buy an issue you have to download it to read.

For Marvel Unlimited there is an offline reading mode but I haven't ever used it so don't quite know how it works.
Red Five
AG
On Unlimited you are allowed to select up to 12 issues at a time to download for offline reading.
AboveAndBeyond
Did anyone pick up any of the new series yesterday? I think I'm more excited about Planet Hulk than anything.

Does anyone else look at the varient covers before they just buy the original? I've picked up a few funny ones that I enjoyed more than the original.
Jasomania
AG
The variant cover game is a dangerous one... I try not to get into it but it keeps dragging me back in.

DC has been releasing like 20 or so each month centered around a theme, like Bombshells, Teen Titans Go, Movies, Harley Quinn, etc.
toucan82
I fell for the variant cover game in the early '90s... never again
R0GUE
AG
quote:
Did anyone pick up any of the new series yesterday? I think I'm more excited about Planet Hulk than anything.
I grabbed pretty much every Battleworld issue, but the only one I've read so far is A-Force, which was awesome. It had amazing artwork, so many beautiful ladies haha.
AboveAndBeyond
I grabbed them all except the Kung Fu one. Going to read it somewhere before I buy it.
AboveAndBeyond
Anyone know where I can pick up the issues that explain how/why Captain ended up on Planet Hulk?
Texas Yarddog
AG
Not sure if this is relevant to the topic, but has anyone read the Sandman Series by Neil Gaiman and, if so, how was it? I like his books, but haven't gotten into graphic novels.
R0GUE
AG
quote:
Not sure if this is relevant to the topic, but has anyone read the Sandman Series by Neil Gaiman and, if so, how was it? I like his books, but haven't gotten into graphic novels.

Sandman is my favorite comic series of all-time. There might be single issues or story arcs I like individually better, but as a whole Sandman is IMHO the greatest full series ever.
YouBet
AG
For Marvel, I follow this guys list. It's very detailed. I'm only about halfway through Black Panther in the first link (Marvel 616 Main Continuity section). As a random note, one of the issues in that series is not on MU for some reason and it's a key issue, so I stopped there and haven't picked it back up.

http://www.comicbookherald.com/the-complete-marvel-reading-order-guide/.

The other comic I read is Saga which is great.
AboveAndBeyond
Good find!! I'll have to bookmark that.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.