Billions

20,373 Views | 119 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by rononeill
PooDoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://m.imdb.com/title/tt4270492/?ref_=m_nmfmd_wr_1

Paul Giamatti + Damien Lewis = I'm in

With the cast being those two plus a gaggle of hot girls I'm hoping for some Wolf of Wall Street love scenes... If you can call that love.
Deputy Travis Junior
This is written by the other Sorkin (Andrew Sorkin). Both Andrew and Aaron grew up in the same place and even went to the same high school, have the same last name, have fathers who are lawyers, and grew up in Jewish families, but aren't related according to a couple of google search results I read.

Anyway, Andrew Sorkin has done a lot of financial writing as a journalist, so he ought to do a good job with this.
evan_aggie
AG
I just saw a commercial for this. It looks intriguing.
20ag07
The pilot is on YouTube. It's just OK. Right in line with typical Showtime fare so it will probably wear thin pretty quickly, but first season will probably be worth a watch, if for no other reason than HBO is holding out its Sunday night shows until Feb.
ORAggieFan
I was searching for what Showtime and HBO were coming out with since Homeland just finished and saw this. Looks good enough to checkout.
cgh1999
AG
It's available on showtime on demand. I enjoyed the pilot and think they did a solid job on casting. It definitely has potential.
evan_aggie
AG
Bump..
Pignorant
AG
Paul Giamatti is only 48!
FtBendTxAg
AG
Just watched it. Pretty good. Will keep watching.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
Paul Giamatti is only 48!

Holy crap I thought he was over 50 in American splendor
MelvinUdall
Not to totally derail the thread, but my favorite Paul G movie is Sideways.
MelvinUdall
Oh and Billions was great last night.
AggieC07
AG
I watched the first two episodes (the second one for this week is available online). I like it so far.
DG-Ag
AG
quote:
Love that movie.
MelvinUdall
quote:
quote:
Love that movie.

I forget the name of the actor that plays his friend, but he was hilarious in his role.
Post removed:
by user
emando2000
AG
When does the next episode come out? That's 2 weeks now of showing only the pilot.
AggieC07
AG
From my understanding the pilot was this past Sunday and the next new episode will air this Sunday. I've already watched the next episode (posted on the showtime app early)
emando2000
AG
They skipped a week for some reason. The pilot aired the same day Shameless new season aired on the 10th. I just saw that the 2nd episode airs next weekend (24th) but is available online now.
Duncan Idaho
I have cone to realise that I might have been too hard on sutter. It might not have been that he wrote such a craptastic character in tara, but that the chick that plays her is just such a horrible actress that tara sucked because of casting.

Also, I couldn't tell if it was trying to be funny with the meeting smack talk or show how tough these guys are. Because it ca me across more more joking than threatening
AggieC07
AG
quote:
I have cone to realise that I might have been too hard on sutter. It might not have been that he wrote such a craptastic character in tara, but that the chick that plays her is just such a horrible actress that tara sucked because of casting.

Also, I couldn't tell if it was trying to be funny with the meeting smack talk or show how tough these guys are. Because it ca me across more more joking than threatening
You can't have a show/film about high finance without hookers and blow!
Duncan Idaho
I had no problem with the hooked and blow.

What bugged me / feel flat was the meeting where the guy from breaking bad was busting that balls of the guys in the meeting. It was either
1) the writing sucked or
2) the writing was OK but the actors weren't able to pull it off.
Or
3)the writing was ok, the actors weren't to blame but the director isn't good enough to pull off a scene like that and make it fit the tone of the show

Now thinking about the other scenes, I am going to have to go with a combination of casting and directing. Even the hot chick from watchmen is extra terrible in this.
AggieC07
AG
I agree, I think the ladies in the show are pretty weak. I never really thought Malin Akerman (Axerod's wife) was ever that great of an actor. Its still early in the show, I think Wendy Roades has some potential though
emando2000
AG
I somewhat agree with the ladies in the show. Wendy Rhoades is ok. The whole Dr. Mojo thing was tough to watch. Her delivery was weak, she doesn't come across confident enough. Lara's character isn't doing much for me either.

Actually I feel like Chuck's character is carrying the show. Bobby seems like a tool, I'd like a better actor with a presence. His voice bugs me. It's almost like he has a lisp.
AggieC07
AG
That scene when Wendy was telling the PM that she didn't need a session was cringe worthy for me.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
That scene when Wendy was telling the PM that she didn't need a session was cringe worthy for me.

You mean the "sesh"
DG-Ag
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Love that movie.

I forget the name of the actor that plays his friend, but he was hilarious in his role.
Thomas Haden Church. I've liked him in just about every role I've seen him play. Even the old "Wings" sitcom he was on back in the day.
emando2000
AG
quote:
Best line by Paul in Sideways...LOL!

"Half my life is over, and I have
nothing to show for it. I'm a
thumbprint on the window of a
skyscraper. I'm a smudge of excrement
on a tissue surging out to sea with
a million tons of raw sewage."

Also sorry to derail but I love this character! Back to Billions... I think I'm gonna enjoy Rhoades with his tells his riddles/stories!
mike_ags_fan12
quote:

Paul G is a really good underrated actor. The way he played Brian Wilson's psychologist in Love and Mercy was so good, I hated him after the movie. Ha

I really enjoyed Billions. And agree that Axlerod's wife is just ehh...
oragator
Really liked episode 1. Hoping it doesn't try to do too much as the season goes on.

I do think it's interesting though that Damian is basically playing the same character he played on homeland, a duplicitous hero.
mike_ags_fan12
Great episode tonight!
TXAGFAN
AG
quote:
Great episode tonight!
The meeting scene almost put me off the entire show. I don't care how different these guys are than the other funds in town, no one talks to people like that. Hell, guys don't even engage in locker room talk like that. Everyone seemed so far out of character, even the people we had never seen. The COO looked like he couldn't believe those were his lines.

Awful. Just awful.
Trident 88
AG
quote:
Paul G is a really good underrated actor.

Underrated? He's an excellent, award winning actor who gets nothing but praise as far as I know. He's certainly the best actor in this show, which by the way, I don't think I'll make it a point to watch again unless I hear that it's improved. I didn't think any of the actors were bad, but the writing was just okay.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I've enjoyed the show so far but Damian Lewis trying to bury his accent is distracting. It's weird how in Band of brothers I never caught a hint of his accent, but here it's super bothersome. Was it an issue in Homeland?
ChipFTAC01
AG
Also, thinking about it this morning, there's something to the fact that he wasn't at work on 9/11. Either he was out doing something shady or he got a tip that something was going to go down. Somehow that is going to be a plot line later on. He still feels guilty about it and that's why he's sending all of his old coworkers'kids to college.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.