Trailer for Cowboys vs Dinosaurs

16,135 Views | 130 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by SteadicaTm
SteadicaTm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I posted on here looking in for extras in Montana for this movie about 3 years ago. The shoot ended up getting pushed until fall 2013 so I ended up passing and did Bermuda Tentacles instead.

Anyway here is the trailer in all its bad vfx and acting glory.

Cowboys vs Dinosaurs
Talon2DSO
AG
Dude...can I be in one of your movies?
AliasMan02
AG
There's no way to ask this without sounding like a jerk, but I swear that's not how I intend it.

Do you make terrible movies on purpose? Is it just purely financial, and for the effects that can be afforded and all that, you make more money with joke movies than with real ones?

For anyone with the funds to make a movie, I imagine there have to be options. There are scripts for this type of movie, but also horror flicks and period dramas and sci-fi thrillers and all that, which I imagine can all be had for the same dollar figure. I'm curious as to what the process is by which Cowboys vs Dinosaurs is made versus some sort of gritty WWI movie about carrier pigeons, or a rom-com about a girl who works in the last Blockbuster location in NYC, or a swords and sorcery rock opera scored by Loverboy.
Talon2DSO
AG
These movies aren't terrible.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
These movies aren't terrible.
Terrible is the wrong word, I guess. "Joke movies," I guess.
lne2011
Sex Panther
AG
They make money on every single one
AliasMan02
AG
quote:

I figured, which I guess is part of my question. At what point is it a gamble to try and do a little something more, and how do you decide? Is it about believing in a project, or is it strictly formulaic?
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
quote:

I figured, which I guess is part of my question. At what point is it a gamble to try and do a little something more, and how do you decide? Is it about believing in a project, or is it strictly formulaic?

Steadi would have to answer that
AliasMan02
AG
Just for another comparison, I imagine its similar to a game designer doing freemium games rather than trying to make the next Last of Us or Child of Light or whatever.
Duncan Idaho
This looks awesome.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
The best part of that trailer is the horse utterly unafraid of the 6-foot tall reptilian killing machine standing inches away from it as the cowboy spins his lasso.

Well, that and that Eric Roberts gotta eat.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I actually think there's some brilliance in making a terrible movie entertaining. There's a difference between Sharknado and Battlefield Earth.
Squirrel Master
AG
I'm fairly certain Steadi has broken down the economics on these movies before and basically its closest thing to a risk-free investment there is. They make money before its even done being made.

As far as his personal perspective is concerned, I imagine like anything, when you have contacts and stuff it makes it much easier and enjoyable to get repeatable, solid-paying jobs. I'm curious if he has ever worked mainstream TV/movies before though, and how the experiences differ.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Aren't a lot of these movies already pre-sold in countries overseas (usually based on the movie's title alone)? If so, I'd imagine they've already cleared their budget before shooting one scene.

They are still terrible, btw.
wangus12
AG
That looks incredible. I MUST SEE IT!!!!!!!
AccountantAg
AG
MSFC Aggie
AG
Is the roommate in this?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Sounds like Valley of Gwangi
G Martin 87
AG
It needs Sleestaks, but otherwise this looks like fun. If movies like these are guaranteed money, how do I get in?
schmendeler
AG
was that eric Roberts?
shaynew1
AG
good lord i would have loved for this movie to be my breakout role!
MTAggie
AG
Looks interesting. Wish I would have seen the call. Livingston I presume?

MTAggie
BQ '80

SteadicaTm
AG
Talon2DSO: Yes and I have put someone from Texags in one of my movies

AliasMan: We intentionally make B movies. Any movie with a sub $200K budget that has dragons, dinosaurs or sharks will make money. Sometimes A **** TON OF MONEY! Oh and boobs make a lot of money too. It's all about keeping your costs low. Quantity over quality. You just need a ridiculous idea. I am currently trying to get Boobs and Sharks funded.

SquirrelMaster: Out of the 27 feature films I have made, I have produced one romantic comedy for NBC/UNI. Most of my other movies have been retarded **** like this.

GeveEmHellBill: Yes the movies are presold. You are in the black before you make it.

MSFC Aggie: yes she is the female lead. And she is a scientist.

G Martin 87: They are guaranteed. I just did a show for $150K and and we the producers received $15K from the distributor on day one of filming and we get another $15K when we deliver in September. So we the producers had a $30K minimum guarantee.
Then the fun starts with the film markets. AFM, EFM and all the festivals where you show up to sell you movies. Jailbait had a budget of $135K and made over $1MM.

Schmendler: Yes that was Eric Roberts. Ever since he went to rehab he takes every project offered to keep him busy and off the drugs.

Sex Panther
AG
quote:
Most of my other movies have been retarded **** like this.

You gotta love SteadicaTm
BigRobSA
quote:
I am currently trying to get Boobs and Sharks funded.

Most of my other movies have been retarded **** like this.

Yes the movies are presold. You are in the black before you make it.

Yes that was Eric Roberts. Ever since he went to rehab he takes every project offered to keep him busy and off the drugs.
Movie looks hilari-bad. Would watch it!
Talon2DSO
AG
Can I be in boobs and sharks??? Tell me if you need a chubby Cuban-looking guy with an I healthy obsession with boobs.
SteadicaTm
AG
quote:
Can I be in boobs and sharks??? Tell me if you need a chubby Cuban-looking guy with an I healthy obsession with boobs.
Can you pretend to play a ukulele?
Talon2DSO
AG
For fame and glory, I'll pretend to be Tiny Tim on a tricycle
Duncan Idaho
quote:
Schmendler: Yes that was Eric Roberts. Ever since he went to rehab he takes every project offered to keep him busy and off the drugs

Remember nathan the Lord loves a workin man

SteadicaTm
AG
quote:
I might have a part for you as the lovable 3rd sidekick.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
quote:
I might have a part for you as the lovable 3rd sidekick.

Damn I only got a background part.
agmag90
Awesome insight Steadi!
FL_Ag1998
AG
quote:
I am currently trying to get Boobs and Sharks funded.

So you're telling me that you went back in time and read my 13 year-old mind for your next movie idea?!
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
quote:
quote:
Can you pretend to play a ukulele?
I own a ukulele!!!
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.