*****Avengers: Age of Ultron discussion*****

68,409 Views | 447 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by rhutton125
Murder Hornet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just got out of the theater. Marvel hit it out of the park again. This movie is darker but at times there are more laughs/one liners by each character.

Every time I see a Marvel movie, I leave the theater thinking "what a great time, that was incredibly fun!". That is exactly what huge movies like this should be.

Ultron's voice was perfectly fine. I read some of the discussion in the board that it was just Spaders voice but it was digitized enough and just as menacing from the trailers

This movie was a "mid-story chapter" but it didn't lack anything in my opinion.

Tl;dr - Movie is awesome, plenty of action and laughs
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
"what a great time, that was incredibly fun!"
Are you my parents at a high school reunion?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Two questions. 1. Where did you see it, and 2. Why do we need another thread?
FL_Ag1998
AG
quote:
Two questions. 1. Where did you see it, and 2. Why do we need another thread?

Because OP wanted to brag that has seen it already.
Murder Hornet
AG
You got me. I'm stationed in Germany and it released a week early here. Didn't mean to breach protocol, but I figured the other thread was discussion based on trailers and supposed plot points (spoilers/non-spoilers).
Saxsoon
AG
Let's just make this the official impressions thread. There has been precedent for this before with some of the films with the huge pre release discussion. I guarantee there will be one for star wars when it comes out.
30 yard line
I just saw it too!

Great movie, loved all the one liners.
Murder Hornet
AG
quote:
I just saw it too!

Great movie, loved all the one liners.
This. One thing I noticed was there were a lot more of them than the firsT movie. ************SPOILER***************

Hawkeye mumbling to himself about killing The maximov twin was awesome.

******END SPOILER*******

Scotty Flamingo
For those who have seen it is there a post movie scene?
Saxsoon
AG
There is a mid credits scene but no after credits scene.
BigRobSA
Any reason to spend the extra $$$ on 3D?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
A little over two hours to go.
BigRobSA
quote:
A little over two hours to go.
Yep, hitting the 7pm showing at "my" theater. 3D showing, or "regular", is the only question.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Great movie! Very pleasantly surprised. May have even liked it more than the first one. The humor was on point, and the action scenes were pretty incredible. Maybe not long enough but still great.
aTmLoKi
AG
I liked this one a lot, but not as much as A1 or GotG. There were so many seeds planted for Civil War, and I really hope they bring it all together and make it work.
Simplebay
AG
Def felt like a filler movie, wasn't as good on the plot start to finish.

Hawkeye was GREAT and the backbone of the movie. Audience connected with him

Ultron felt dangerous, but was a HUGE miss in my opinion. Too verbose. Too, tap tap wink wink. Loki was a much better villain, even though Ultron did feel more dangerous.

Hulk needs to go be in GotG2. Captain America is awesome. Stark is starting to become cliche yet still makes it work, Downey showed some acting chops in a couple of scenes. Quicksilver's death was heartfelt, despite his atrocious accent and terrible acting. The set in the foreign city was cool.

Best scenes.... "I'm sorry".... Hawkeye " no one would notice".... Cap moving the Hammer followed by Thor's panic then overwhelming joy.... And Vision picking up the hammer.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I just got out of the theater and I thought AoU was great.
Edit: oops, wrong face

***Spoilers***

Interestingly, almost all the character development goes to the lesser members of the team, but that makes sense, since Hawkeye, Black Widow and Hulk won't be getting their own solo movies any time soon (if ever), so give those actors and characters some material to grow with.
I was surprised more good guys didn't bite the bullet. With Ultron's reputation, I thought he'd at least knock out Black Widow or Hawkeye.
This flick was really funny. Marvel does a great job keeping the fun alive.
The middle kind of dragged when they went to Hawkeye's house.
Hulk vs Hulkbuster was awesome.
I hope we still see hydra remnants pop up down the road.
I hope vision held onto some Ultron circuitry so we can see him again, as well.
I was surprised how many cameos we got from the other heroes. Seeing falcon and war machine was fun.
Cap and Iron Man ended on pretty good terms. I wonder how they get from there to Civil War?
The Dog Lord
AG
Just wanted to say I agree with the rest. Great movie with a lot of one liners. Definitely setting up for the future movies, so wanting more is the only "disappointment." Can't for the next few.
bbattbq01
AG
Cucumber jokes
Nonregdrummer09
AG
Vision may have been the best comics to film transition I've ever seen in any comic book movie ever. It was incredible how accurate he was.

That being said, things I liked, and didn't like SPOILERS BELOW:

**********SPOILERS****************

1. Not enough time to fill details. Whedon said he had to cut an hour out of the film, I hope they allow him to release a director's cut on DVD.

2. Thor's obsession with the Infinity Gems felt forced (if Scarlet Witch doesn't mess with his head, he doesn't bother with it.) However, Ragnorok was obviously set up, and that's probably where Thor is heading to next at the end of the film.

3. Totally wasted Baron Von Strucker.

4. Is Hydra just dead now btw?

5. Scarlett Witch I thought was well realized (her costume at the end looked great.)

6. Civil War storyline set up.

7. Ultron was much more emotional than I expected, but it kind of worked, I liked how he would get upset when people didn't seem to understand why he had to kill all of humanity.

8. I like Tony's obsession with trying to find a way to create the AI that would protect the world, and the conflict it caused between him and Cap.

9. I actually like that Hulk ran off again, I do think this is the best characterization of Bruce Banner we've had period.

10. Hulkbuster vs. Hulk fight was great.

11. End fight with the city rising was incredibly cool

I'll be very curious to see if Ant-Man is going to bridge the gap between Avengers 2 and Civil War.

********************END SPOILERS*****************
wangus12
AG
Just got out. I really enjoyed it. Maybe even more so than the 1st. Never felt like it dragged, even at Hawkeye's farm.

Like it was said above, the smaller roles really shined, especially Renner. I do think they are really pushing the Infinity Gems so that people really know what they are. Glad they did the recap scene going through them all, albeit not by their names.

They really forced the Hulk/Widow thing which was ok, but just seems unreal to me. I think he is headed for GOTG2.

I wish the hadn't done away with Quicksilver, but knew it was coming from Scarlet's reaction scene in the trailers. X-Men and Avengers have cut him out rather quickly when he is a pretty enjoyable character. I thought Olsen did a much better job as SW than I had expected and I loved her final outfit.

Finally, I'm so pumped Paul Bettany got to actually be in one of the movies and that it wasn't just a generic design. He is one of my favorite actors and that iteration of Vision was great.
Saxsoon
AG
Just awesome.

I did think Romanov/Banner was a little forced but it grew on me.

Definitely provided some excellent character development to the "lesser guys" which was awesome and well needed. Hawkeye/Renner nailed this one and got the much needed development after being shafted in Avengers. Loved the Floating City, Robots, and Bows and Arrows. NONE OF THIS MAKES SENSE!

Definitely seed planting for Civil War and Ragnarok.

I was going in expecting ultron/Spader to suck based on early reviews but everyone in my party put him just below Loki in the Marvel-verse (though that isn't hard).

Some great humor though there may have been a tad too many at one point.

Loved the Vision and wonder what the implications are to his existence when Thanos gets the gem.

Overall just loved it and this is why I go to the movies. Definition of the summer blockbuster!
wangus12
AG
Also loved that the replacement voice for Jarvis (Friday) is Kerry Condon. Her family is from Co. Tipperary and we used to do horse business with her parents.
Saxsoon
AG
That's really cool. She was a nice new addition to the team.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just curious, what is the Ragnarok storyline and how was it set up in this one?

Also, can't remember, was Vision part of the "new Avengers" that was at the facility at the end?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also, as I've said before, I am completely intrigued by Civil War storyline and am looking forward to that one more than any other Marvel film to date.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
quote:
Just curious, what is the Ragnarok storyline and how was it set up in this one?

Also, can't remember, was Vision part of the "new Avengers" that was at the facility at the end?

Vision was part of the new avengers, along with falcon, scarlet witch and war machine.

I don't know anything about the ragnarok storyline, but I think ragnarok is basically the Viking apocalypse, so seeing all the asgardians in hell makes for a nice ominous setup.
Whos Juan
AG
quote:
"That was a good chat"
"No it wasn't!"
BigRobSA
Awesome, awesome movie.

Great action, the humor was on point, and Hawkeye stole the movie even just being a normal man with awesome archery skills.

Actually can't believe I'm gonna say this, but this makes me almost giddy for AntMan. When they announced that movie, however long ago, I thought "WTF!?". But, with as awesome as Marvel is at putting this whole "universe" together after the first couple Hulk and Spidey movies sucking (for the most part), I can only expect Rudd's AntMan movie to follow suit.
boogieman
AG
quote:
Floating City, Robots, and Bows and Arrows. NONE OF THIS MAKES SENSE!
Possibly my favorite line from the movie.
nickstro66
AG
I really enjoyed it! Ultron was a pretty good villain and The Vision was awesome!
boogieman
AG
nm
HouAggie96
AG
So 3D or no 3D, that is the question..... Is it worth it?
scubasteve304
AG
Looked up Kerry Condon and she is also Mike's daughter in law on Better Call Saul. Cool cool cool.

Anyway, saw Age of Ultron in 2D last night and was definitely not disappointed. I was worried since it doesn't seem like the buzz is as high as the first time around but that's what I get for doubting Whedon.

Hilarious, fun, layered, and so comic booky but plenty of great action as well. So damn awesome. I almost wanna say i loved it even more than the first Avengers but that might be cause it's still too fresh in my mind. I'll have to think about it.

Hulk vs Hulkbuster was worth price of admission. I really enjoyed Spader as Ultron, I liked the verbosity and he pulls off the condescension perfectly and lastly Liz Olsen is so damn damn fine. Agree second act has a bit of a lull and Nat/Banner a little forced but that's minor when Evans and RDJ are on their game and Renner steals his scenes. Whedon is still making other blockbusters seem basic.
nickstro66
AG
quote:
So 3D or no 3D, that is the question..... Is it worth it?
Wasn't worth it to me

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.