***Official Ready Player One Discussion Thread*** Book and Movie - SPOILERS!

7,530 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Farmer1906
Zombie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So I figured since this is one of my favorite books in recent history, I'd like to make a discussion thread about it. I am extra fond of it considering I live in OKC and work a block from where Wade's stacks were in the book.

So, thoughts on the book? The upcoming movie? Casting ideas?
Hudson2508
AG
I really need to reread the book. I got hooked and read it as fast as possible so it will probably be just an enjoyable the second go around. Cline's next book is coming out in July so I'll try to read it before then.

I can't wait for the first trailer, it's going to be awesome.

On a side note, I was in San Francisco a couple weekends ago and stumbled across a joust arcade machine and spent way too much money trying to learn the game. I need to download it on one of my emulators to play at home.
Zombie
I have been the same way. Went back and watched Blade Runner and Holy Grail again. Played Tempest and Joust on my emulator and have listened to a lot of RUSH. Plan on watching War Games tonight when I get home.
tx1c
AG
My daughter recommended the book to me. So when I heard that there will be a movie, I had to jump in to reading it. I'm about a third of the way through right now. I have about a week and a half before it's due back at the library; I'll make it.

I was born very close to when Halliday was born. I'm not doing nearly as well as he did, but I'm loving all the 80's references, even though there are still quite a few I'm not familiar with.
Btron
AG
I really enjoyed this book and I think there is potential for a good movie.

Is there anything on the net that shows all the references from RPO and the source. Maybe screen shots or actually clips either video or audio? That would be good since I was not completely aware of all the references while reading but might if I saw them. If that makes sense.
Texags is garbage
I had been thinking about looking into all of the references. Perhaps those of us reading through it again can post them as we go.
tx1c
AG
quote:
Is there anything on the net that shows all the references from RPO and the source. Maybe screen shots or actually clips either video or audio?
So you want OASIS here and now?
Zombie
I wouldn't even know where to start. There are so many references it's mind blowing. 80s music, TV, books, movies, fashion, everything.
CoolaidWade
AG
quote:
On a side note, I was in San Francisco a couple weekends ago and stumbled across a joust arcade machine and spent way too much money trying to learn the game. I need to download it on one of my emulators to play at home.

I grew up playing both Joust and Galaga and consider myself in the top tier of players on both machines.

I haven't played either game in about five years which is sad. Probably a lot longer then that for Joust.
Zombie
On a side note, look up Magic Leap.....could be the beginning to a real OASIS. Billion dollars in investments with no product. Apparently what they have done so far is blowing people away
cr0wbar
AG
Just read this book a few days ago! Some thoughts:

Would be really cool to see such scenes played out:

Joust vs the Lich
Our 'introduction' to OASIS. Haptic gloves, visor, logging in and out, etc.
The chat room conversation with Sorrento
the indentured servant scenes
The rig he had in his apartment

Not sure if you could cram a lot of these things visually into a movie. Not sure how/if they could relive the Og Birthday Bubble scene.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
Just read this book a few days ago! Now I have to catch up on this thread

Good news! You're caught up.
Vince Blake
I bought the book from reading the thread here. A fun read! Had to put the book at times down to google some of the references in it the book. I never knew about the Atari game with the crazy prizes or the Captain Crunch whistle to make free long distance calls.
tx1c
AG
quote:
Not sure how/if they could relive the Og Birthday Bubble scene.
I just read that part of the book last night. I was thinking that that's going to be one really cool scene in the movie, so they can't crap out and skip it.
MidnightYell2003
AG
Here is an article on fantasy casting of the movie. I am excited either way!

http://www.mtv.com/news/2116324/ready-player-one-fantasy-casting/
MW03
AG
One of my favorite fun books of the last couple of years, but I have no idea how this is going to work as a movie.

There's the whole "Uncanny Valley" problem if they go full CGI. I suppose they could go live action, but it would be equally weird. Then there are the challenges. How in the hell do you do the 1st gate?

They have another problem with casting. Wade is a slob in real life, but supposedly handsome in the OASIS. There's Aech, which is it's own issue.

I suppose they could shoot 2 movies with 2 casts, really. One guy as Wade, one as Parzival, etc. It would be a pretty cool reveal to have Wade get catfished by Aech, then have the audience expecting it again with Art3miss. Real World shot as kind of yellow and faded, then super rich over-saturation in the OASIS world with entirely new cast members.

When I was reading Wade, I was thinking of Clark Duke from Hot Tub Time Machine in the movie Kickass

(Duke is on the left)
Zombie
The hardest part I can imagine is going to be the transition of Wade through the movie. He's a fat slob nerd at the beginning then over time becomes to look like Powder. In the end he is described as being hairless and much thinner with a lot more muscle.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
quote:
The hardest part I can imagine is going to be the transition of Wade through the movie. He's a fat slob nerd at the beginning then over time becomes to look like Powder. In the end he is described as being hairless and much thinner with a lot more muscle.

I could see them skipping the whole body hair thing; it was odd enough in the book, even with the narration trying to explain why he did it. The weight thing shouldn't be too big of a deal, look at Tom Hanks in Castaway.
aTmLoKi
AG
The book was a fun, nostalgic read that I thought was highly entertaining.

The birthday scene would have to be in the movie! Obviously, there will be a ton of problems trying to get this thing up and running because of all the references. Disney's Wreck it Ralph did a good job getting the licenses on a good number of games a few years ago so it could all be featured in the movie (which I would recommend by the way). I hope something similar can happen here.

One of the scenes that I think they may have trouble with is the battle at the crystal gate, with all of the robots/zords. There is a certain cheese factor that exists with that battle scene, and I think that scene could easily be rewritten to be similar to an X-Wing battle with their individual ships.
Rudyjax
AG
Halliday couldve been one of my nerd friends.

My only complaint is Heathers was too trendy for nerds.
Wade_3
AG
TCTTS sent out a copy of the treatment about a month ago and I really didn't like how the book was adapted.

They changed the story up quite a bit, like:

****SPOILERS****
Art3mis and Wade sex it up in the real world about 2/3rds of the way through the movie.

No basement for Aech.

The first key is a race, like super Mario cart, and everybody has access to it.

Art3mis is a leader of rebels, in the real world, who are fighting against IOI, which owns a minority share of the OASIS.

No Pacman, but Wade gets the quarter in a really, really random way.

No giant mech fight at the castle.

No wargames, no Monty python, etc.

****SPOILERS****

There was more, but that should start the conversation. I liked reading another story set in that universe, but the movie will resemble RP1 as much as the World war Z movie resembles the book...if they use the script I read.
Wade_3
AG
quote:

They don't touch on this at all in the script I read. Also, wade doesn't sneak into IOI either. They do a kind of neat "inception" thing with Sorrento at the end of the movie.
Hudson2508
AG
That's disappointing to read. I've been meaning to read the script but I may not enjoy it as much as I thought if it's that different. Not having the big fight at the castle would be a huge downer.
Wade_3
AG
quote:
That's disappointing to read. I've been meaning to read the script but I may not enjoy it as much as I thought if it's that different. Not having the big fight at the castle would be a huge downer.

Yea, I felt the same way. I feel like they missed the point of the book.

Also, they tied Kira into things, but halliday met her on a blind date that didn't go well...then Ogden ended up marrying her years later and Halliday couldn't get over it. That didn't make sense to me.

Also, a big part of the finding the second key revolves around Halliday getting drunk and making a program mistake, which seems to be a huge departure from what how his book character was.

Overall, I would still see this movie but I wouldn't consider it the same as the book.
MW03
AG
That sounds TERRIBLE.
Zombie
quote:
Also, they tied Kira into things, but halliday met her on a blind date that didn't go well...then Ogden ended up marrying her years later and Halliday couldn't get over it. That didn't make sense to me.

Also, a big part of the finding the second key revolves around Halliday getting drunk and making a program mistake, which seems to be a huge departure from what how his book character was.

The Kira part was in the book. It was explained at the end when Wade meets Og.

As for the second key, if they don't use WarGames, then it makes sense to do it a different way. Although I don't like the idea of a drunk Halliday making a mistake. He was too OCD to do something like that. It takes away from the integrity of the game.

I am okay with them removing WarGames and Monty Python from the movie. It wouldn't translate well to the big screen. I just hope they don't ruin it too much.
Wade_3
AG
Right. But, in the book a huge deal was made about how terrible he was with women. It would be tough to make a key plot point be based on a bad first date, IMO.

Agree with everything else you said.
nai06
AG
Im sure a lot of it will be guided by the ability to secure rights to all of the things mentioned in the book. That has to be the biggest hurdle IMO.

Side note, im really looking forward to his next book Armada. I should have a copy by the end of the week
Hudson2508
AG
How are you getting a copy? It doesn't come out until July right? I'll be really jealous if you're getting an advanced copy.
nai06
AG
My wife is a young adult author asked a couple of agents/editors for an Advanced Reader Copy.
tx1c
AG
I finished the book last night (RPO).
Now I can read everything in this thread.

Wade_3
AG
quote:
Im sure a lot of it will be guided by the ability to secure rights to all of the things mentioned in the book. That has to be the biggest hurdle IMO.

Side note, im really looking forward to his next book Armada. I should have a copy by the end of the week
So have you read Armada yet?

I am going to get it on Audible...hopefully Will Wheaton narrates it.
nai06
AG
I spoke too soon. The agent didnt have any copies left. looks like im waiting till july
MW03
AG
This thread made me decide to listen to the book again. I love everything about Will Wheaton's reading except for the maddening way he pronounces "poseur". Which ironically, is how someone who was unfamiliar with the culture using the word would pronounce it if they were trying to act like they knew how to pronounce it.
Rudyjax
AG
Wil Wheaton had better be in the movie as an older version of himself.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.