New Venture Announcement // TexAgs Input Welcome

26,292 Views | 178 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by stevenag01
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In addition to launching The Projection List earlier this year, I've also been developing another wholly unrelated project under the radar, though this one came together a lot faster, and almost out of nowhere...

Three friends and I have started what we eventually plan to evolve into a full-fledged production company, but for now is simply a "development fund" specializing in acquiring, developing and producing existing literary properties (books, articles, etc.) for the purposes of creating compelling film and television projects. Because three of us in the company are writers (two of which are a phenomenal writing team with multiple deals around town), we're going to be adapting many of the properties ourselves, and then selling them to studios via our other founding partner, an insanely smart, hard working and incredibly well-connected producer/manager.

Because many production companies and financing entities don't have the necessary development capital, we'll be able to further fill a niche by forming strategic partnerships with these companies in ways that are almost never fully exploited by other production entities. In other words, many companies simply don't have the money to actually buy the rights to existing intellectual properties and then to develop those properties into scripts. Either that, or they can't take the risk. So, in addition to buying and developing our own content internally, we'll also be partnering with companies who simply either need capital to secure a property, or will want to officially partner on a project.

This entire idea was born out of the fact that many studios and production companies we've encountered respond more to existing stories - whether they be in the form of books or articles (many of which based on real-life events) - than they do to original pitches. When we can toss something tangible on the table, something with a history, that's easier to grasp than a simple pitch, it changes the conversation completely. So, this past November, we came up with a gameplan, decided to give this thing a shot, and were able to secure the necessary capital. We've spent the past two months not only setting up the company, but narrowing down our potential slate, and have some incredibly cool projects - and even a couple of deals - already in the works. And now that all the legal aspects have been worked out, contracts have been signed, and our branding is complete, we can finally start making this venture a bit more public.

Unfortunately, I can't yet say exactly what projects we're going after until deals are (hopefully) finalized (and even then, I'm not going to get super-detailed), but our aim is the more prestige-type material: Argo, Captain Phillips, The Social Network, Zero Dark Thirty, Zodiac, etc. Fiction or non-fiction, it doesn't matter. Our bread and butter is most likely going to be historical dramas, but really, we're open to any existing story in any genre that could potentially make for a great movie or TV show. And not just books. Again, articles in GQ, Esquire, The New Yorker, Texas Monthly, etc. are all fair game, and we're even close to closing on a couple of articles in those very magazines.

That said, while we currently have an abundance of projects we've found and are going after, we can never have too many options. That, and the four of us can only cast a net so wide. So I not only wanted to offer TexAgs a way to be somewhat involved with this, but, frankly, I also figured this would be a great way to, over the coming weeks, months and even years, comb through more content than the four of us ever could. I truly mean this when I say I legitimately trust TexAgs' ability to potentially find great material. There's a reason I've been coming here for over a decade. The vast majority of posters on this board are smart and savvy as hell, and I trust your judgement/opinions implicitly.

I do need to be upfront and say that if a book or article is posted/suggested here in the thread, on the admittedly off chance that we do end up buying, adapting, selling and producing something suggested here, you'll have this thread as proof of your genius for friends, family and colleagues, but unfortunately we can't officially offer any more than that at this point. Though, should you call our attention to what ultimately results in our first produced feature or Oscar-winning hit, we'll of course do whatever we can in good faith to officially thank you in some formal way, whether it be a finder's fee, potentially inviting you to the premiere (if we even have that kind of power), or something else along those lines.

Just know that while we have legit capital - enough to go after a ton of properties - we probably can't secure the next Michael Lewis book, if for no other reason than we wouldn't we even be considered for something like that at this point. So please don't bother posting super-popular/obvious titles. We're not going to land the next The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Right now, our specialty is finding and identifying the stories no one else has found or considered, and we've done a really good job of that so far. So don't be afraid to go outside the box, either. Even part of an article or book has value, and can potentially unlock a totally new idea. Finally, try not to post anything that's already basically been done. My dad's friend sent me an article the other day about the first University of Texas football team to experience integration back in the '60s, which is basically Remember the Titans set in college. No studio would ever do that, at least not any time soon.

(NOTE: Also, for now, please post any suggestions here in the thread as opposed to email. I don't yet know who's going to be checking the email at our site, so it's best just to just keep all TexAgs-related suggestions here.)

Ultimately, I can't even begin to explain how confident/excited we are by some of the potential properties we've got in the pipeline. All I can say is that we're on to something here. Of that I have no doubt. Our company's name below - one that honors our roots, and one that I'm very proud of - will be on screens in the foreseeable future. It may take a while, but the wheels are officially in motion, and I'd love for TexAgs to come along for the ride.

Let the takeover begin.

Thanks, guys!

O&C Official Site

Van Buren Boy
AG
tldr; but I know the the venture will be successful. Good luck!
Madmarttigan
AG
I know this may not be your forte based on the topics you provided but have yall considering any fantasy material? I would kill for a new movie/show of game of thrones quality to come about. I think the success of GoT, LoTR and somewhat Harry Potter show that viewers really enjoy fantasy now, but only if it is done decently.

I know I wouldn't be alone in wishing someone could erase the first Dresden files show and redo it completely. I think those books have a great action packed flow to them and have great individual storyline as well as an overarching story that keeps you hooked.
Dr. Horrible
I've been wanting someone to do the sword of truth material well. Someone tried to butcher it with the legend of the seeker tv show on the cw, but that was just god awful and I couldn't watch it, even being a fan of the " source" material.
jeffk
AG
So you can make Batman: Beyond happen?
schmendeler
AG
i assume you're already aware of and looking into Erik Larson (devil in the white city and others)? he's a great history writer with books based on actual events with tons of backing research.
Malachi Constant
AG
Halo Movie
The Debt
Seven

Minute

Abs
AliasMan02
AG
Obviously my RPG should be your first movie option. Post-apocalyptic sci-fi/fantasy is set to be the new "comic book movie" and Breachworld is the gorram Batman of the genre.

Congrats on the venture. I have no doubt you'll be successful.
BBQ4Me
AG
Maybe momentous decisions in history. Focus on the person/team deciding to make a big decision (ala "Thirteen Days"). Some ones off the top of my head:
-Attack plan for DDay
-Israel's decision to pre-emptively strike in 1967
-Decision for secession in Civil War
-Decision that Iraq had WMDs
-Jury debate over a famous case
-Doolittle Raid
-Can also get some ideas from alternate history fictions

Maybe on the surface these would be a bit boring, but if told well, it could be interesting.
Cibalo
one of the first things that came to mind was a book called The Whipping Boy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Whipping_Boy

If you want to consider something more fantasy with plenty of material to draw from take a look at Myth Adventures. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythAdventures

something covering the history of Deep Ellum (Dallas) a section where blacks and whites converged in the 1920's might be good if you can find the right story to adapt http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/581335.Deep_Ellum_and_Central_Track
schmendeler
AG
i love the logo, by the way.
Sentinel
AG
I read the whole thing. Love the logo. I can't wait to see how things play out.
Saxsoon
AG
That logo is so badass
schmendeler
AG
honestly, I would seriously consider that cow head/derrick logo on a t-shirt.
MW03
AG
Very cool.
Sex Panther
AG
Congrats bud, very exciting.

Can I use the logo as my iPhone background? That thing is awesome.
MW03
AG
By way of a suggestion, I'd send you to a long-form article from Pitchfork about Elliott Smith on the 10th anniversary of his death: Keep The Things You Forgot

The synopsis is this:

Texas-born musician Elliott Smith comes from a broken home and abusive father. He moves to Oregon and starts a band with his friends. In the middle of that band breaking big, he decides to go off and start his own thing. Drugs and alcohol start to dominate his life while his star rises, culminating in an academy award nomination for best original song (Miss Misery from the Good Will Hunting soundtrack).

As a recluse, Smith doesn't handle the fame well. As he grows uncomfortable, he basically burns every bridge with every friend, falls further into drugs (hard drugs, too. Crack, etc.). Smith ends up in LA, falls in with people and producers who further enable his destructive behavior. Ultimately, he dies in what's (controversially) ruled a suicide by stabbing himself 2x in the heart. Interestingly, when he died, he'd kicked the drugs and had a clean toxicology. All the while, he continued to make incredibly beautiful, introspective music.

Fascinating story and a tremendous singer song writer.

Not sure how you pull a 3rd act out of that, but it's an interesting story nonetheless.

There's also a solid biography called "Torment Saint" that covers the material in greater depth. Here's a review written by the Old 97s own Rhett Miller.

See also The Life and Art of Elliott Smith.
aggiesq
AG
quote:
Maybe momentous decisions in history. Focus on the person/team deciding to make a big decision (ala "Thirteen Days"). Some ones off the top of my head:
-Attack plan for DDay
-Doolittle Raid

Maybe on the surface these would be a bit boring, but if told well, it could be interesting.
this sounds interesting to me.

I enjoyed the John Adams series because it showed several things about the revolutionary period in ways I hadn't seen before, like the trial of the british soldiers, Adams visiting the King, and Dc when it was first being built. the debate over the declaration was interesting too. actual real life people, waling around on muddy streets, with a very uncertain future.

the civil war show coupld include showing those in the north who were opposed to war and pro-slavery and those in the south who opposed secession (sam Houston among them as I recall)

a show about how the soviets reacted to Reagan during the 80s (The Americans is pretty cool about that) and how the soviet govt and the Russian people acted during the collapse and reconstruction, like 1989 - 1992

Saxsoon
AG
I am a science fiction/thriller/horror person myself so I don't think I will fit into your demographic for ideas though.
israeliag
AG
Congrats TC!

Great branding.

Here's an idea:
The early BBQ scene in Austin.

It features a very intriguing character that arguably started it all in Johnny Mueller, and his understudy that ended up bringing it to the forefront in Aaron Franklin. Add to that a dynastic family in the BBQ business with the Muellers, a son that's gone rebel, drugs/alcohol, and Johnny Mueller's sister stepping in to try and salvage the Mueller brand, and I think you are on to something akin to a Ali/Ray/Johnny Cash story. But, in the BBQ world set against Austin in the 90s and 00s.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/story/meat-and-men
http://austin.eater.com/2012/10/31/6528271/john-mueller-is-out-at-jmueller-bbq-says-sis-hes-decided-to-mismanage

quote:
"John's out. He's never owned it. He decided to mismanage again," Mueller tells Eater Austin. "I'm not taking the brunt of this." Mueller says she's got "a lot of bridges" she needs to "mend" with neighbors and turned-off customers. "There shouldn't be this much drama," she says.
I'll take my payment in the form of brisket and beef ribs, thank you.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
The Pecan Man would make a great movie. The writing in the book is decent, but the story is pretty intriguing.

quote:
The Pecan Man is a work of Southern fiction whose first chapter was the First Place winner of the 2006 CNW/FFWA Florida State Writing Competition in the Unpublished Novel category. In the summer of 1976, recently widowed and childless, Ora Lee Beckworth hires a homeless old black man to mow her lawn. The neighborhood children call him the Pee-can Man; their mothers call them inside whenever he appears. When the police chief's son is found stabbed to death near his camp, the man Ora knows as Eddie is arrested and charged with murder. Twenty-five years later, Ora sets out to tell the truth about the Pecan Man. In narrating her story, Ora discovers more truth about herself than she could ever have imagined. This novel has been described as To Kill a Mockingbird meets The Help.
phatbc
What about a historical animal centric story way more bad ass than seabiscuit?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cher_Ami
bevokilla
AG
quote:
. So please don't bother posting super-popular/obvious titles.
So I know this is popular and obvious, but dear lord, will someone please make a Rainbow Six movie????
Dread Pirate Roberts
Congrats and good luck!!!! I'm sure you'll do great!
TCTTS
AG
quote:
I know this may not be your forte based on the topics you provided but have yall considering any fantasy material? I would kill for a new movie/show of game of thrones quality to come about. I think the success of GoT, LoTR and somewhat Harry Potter show that viewers really enjoy fantasy now, but only if it is done decently.

I know I wouldn't be alone in wishing someone could erase the first Dresden files show and redo it completely. I think those books have a great action packed flow to them and have great individual storyline as well as an overarching story that keeps you hooked.

Fantasy is definitely in vogue right now, and probably pretty lucrative, but yeah, it's just not our thing. If the perfect story ever came along, we'd of course consider it, but we're currently concentrating more on real-life dramas and what not.

And I don't really know much about The Dresden Files, but it sounds like something a bit out of our league. Will look into it, though.

Thanks!
TCTTS
AG
quote:
So you can make Batman: Beyond happen?

Ha, one of these days I promise to give it a shot. Haven't given up on it.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
i assume you're already aware of and looking into Erik Larson (devil in the white city and others)? he's a great history writer with books based on actual events with tons of backing research.

One of the partners is an avid reader - he consumes multiple books a week (it's awesome/insane) - and I'm sure he's familiar with him. Will look into Larson, regardless. Thanks!
TCTTS
AG
quote:
-Attack plan for DDay
-Doolittle Raid

This is a GREAT list. We have an awesome WWI story we're going after hard, and then a turn-of-the-century biopic/war thing currently percolating, so we've got that angle covered for now, but I'll definitely pass this list along. Thanks!
schmendeler
AG
TCTTS-

it's maybe a bit of a different route to take, but if you're looking at interesting/less known things in the history genre, you might consider reaching out to one of my favorite podcast speakers: Dan Carlin (www.dancarlin.com). he creates 3-4 hour long lectures/audio books on history (it's titled "hardcore history"). really, really good stuff. he compiles tons of sources to create a fascinating narrative done in a story telling style. he might be a good person to talk to if even only as a knowledgeable guy to suggest less known fascinating stories from history, or authors to investigate. or something he's done might be worth adapting to screen. (his piece titled "prophets of doom" would be very interesting on the big or small screen.)
TexAg1987
The Wheel of Time deserves better than it's gotten from Red Eagle. Fix it. Please. I'm begging you.
BQ2001
AG
I like the series The Remaining by DJ Molles. I'm not sure if could turn into a movie but a tv series could work.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
one of the first things that came to mind was a book called The Whipping Boy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Whipping_Boy

If you want to consider something more fantasy with plenty of material to draw from take a look at Myth Adventures. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythAdventures

something covering the history of Deep Ellum (Dallas) a section where blacks and whites converged in the 1920's might be good if you can find the right story to adapt http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/581335.Deep_Ellum_and_Central_Track

I've heard of The Whipping Boy, and for some reason I think someone already owns those right, but I could be wrong. Will look into it. And I doubt we'll do anything fantasy-related in the foreseeable future, but that Deep Ellum thing is definitely worth some consideration. Will give it a shot. Thanks!
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
quote:
quote:

One of the partners is an avid reader - he consumes multiple books a week (it's awesome/insane) - and I'm sure he's familiar with him. Will look into Larson, regardless. Thanks!

Doesn't Leo DiCaprio own the rights to Devil in the White City?
TCTTS
AG
quote:
TCTTS-

it's maybe a bit of a different route to take, but if you're looking at interesting/less known things in the history genre, you might consider reaching out to one of my favorite podcast speakers: Dan Carlin (www.dancarlin.com). he creates 3-4 hour long lectures/audio books on history (it's titled "hardcore history"). really, really good stuff. he compiles tons of sources to create a fascinating narrative done in a story telling style. he might be a good person to talk to if even only as a knowledgeable guy to suggest less known fascinating stories from history, or authors to investigate. or something he's done might be worth adapting to screen. (his piece titled "prophets of doom" would be very interesting on the big or small screen.)

Ummm... for the time being, no comment. Ha, let's just say we're way more than one step ahead of you, and that great minds think alike.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.