Clarkson Suspended from Top Gear

12,315 Views | 108 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Kashchei
Kashchei
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For allegedly punching a producer.

I know I am really late to the show, but I have just gotten into Top Gear these last few months ("Hey, have you guys heard of this band called The Beatles? They're pretty good.")

I know Jeremy has had his incidents in the past (political correctness run amok), but he is what makes the show IMO. BBC has already canceled the final three episodes, and I (and 350 million other viewers) will be sorely disappointed if the show is canceled permanently.

I hope the almighty dollar (or pound) sways the BBC and they don't kill this cash cow.
schmendeler
AG
this better be temporary. this is one of the best shows on television, period.
Swarely
He tried to punch a bbc executive didn't he? I think that warrants being fired, no matter how beloved he is.
Big Cat `93
AG
As I've read more than once, the BBC needs Top Gear way more than Top Gear needs the BBC.
VanZandt92
Does this show not seem repetitive to you all? After you've seen about five shows, they aren't terribly different.
dave99ag
AG
Clarkson may be a bit rough around the edges, but there's no way their cash cow in Top Gear goes on if he's shown the door permanently. It's that group of guys that makes that show so good. Look at the US version that no one watches.
schmendeler
AG
they follow a similar formula, but if you don't like cars, I wouldn't expect you to enjoy it much in any case.
boy09
AG
I couldn't care less about cars and I love Top Gear.
Big Cat `93
AG
A love of sarcasm is more essential than a love of cars to enjoy Top Gear. I happen to love both, so, bonus.
dave99ag
AG
I think I even got my wife to watch after a recent Ed Sheeran episode.
jabberwalkie09
AG
He punched Piers Morgan, so he is still OK in my book. I'm guessing that Top Gear is probably done on the BBC. Even if they tried to make it continue on, I don't see it really working too well as the
dynamic on the show between the three is what made it great in the first place.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Not a huge car fan at all, like the sarcasm and "quests" even if some of it is a bit staged. They really do get away with a lot. Just can't watch the American version.
2ndGen87
AG
Love the show. Love the skits. Love the sarcasm.

Word is he didn't punch the guy - just got mad. I dunno, I hope he didn't hit the guy but I think it is a tempest in a teapot.

Funny, if he walks, BBC will lose its biggest cash cow this century and Hammond, Clarkson and May will get big pay bumps from ITV or another rival.
Max Power
AG
I'm also not much of a car person but I love Top Gear. That show is special and it just works with those guys. The first time I ever saw it was a marathon, I looked at my watch and lost half a day. I tried to watch the US version and it just wasn't good. No way BBC shuts it down, it's too valuable. So he punched a producer in the face, so what? They had a kids tv host over there that was raping children for years.
VanZandt92
quote:
they follow a similar formula, but if you don't like cars, I wouldn't expect you to enjoy it much in any case.

I like cars, but after a few shows I just want them to roll whatever car they're in. Kind of like watching NASCAR.
BigBrother
AG
The episode where they traveled through Alabama inciting the gumps was greatness.
Old Army Metal
AG
Top Gear on channel 4 or itv would be brilliant. They could finally take the limiter off, so to speak.
Kashchei
AG
No Top Gear tomorrow. Rumors are circulating that Clarkson might just up and leave.
Sex Panther
AG
Never seen an episode. So what exactly is the show?
PooDoo
AG
Imagine the late 70's Mutual Of Omaha Wild Kingdom where they sit on set & watch their cool videos with an audience but instead of tigers & lions there are cars & instead of Marlin Perkins there is a dumpy sarcastic Brit.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Producers are, for the most part, arrogant *****s. Good for him.
Mathguy64
AG
More of the story is coming out. Clarkson allegedly popped a producer named Oisin Tymon over a lack of hot food at a hotel. He claims he was not drinking. All three hosts have contracts that are up after a set of live shows at the end of March. This could get interesting. If they split away from BBC I wonder who gets the track and who gets custody of The Stig?
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
More of the story is coming out. Clarkson allegedly popped a producer named Oisin Tymon over a lack of hot food at a hotel. He claims he was not drinking. All three hosts have contracts that are up after a set of live shows at the end of March. This could get interesting. If they split away from BBC I wonder who gets the track and who gets custody of The Stig?
producer probably told him that they couldnt do the McLaren/Ferrari/Porsche race that they've been working for a year on
schmendeler
AG
quote:
the McLaren/Ferrari/Porsche race

it's never going to happen, is it?
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
quote:
the McLaren/Ferrari/Porsche race

it's never going to happen, is it?
well if the show is gone, I would assume not.
Mathguy64
AG
It could be the opening episode of their new show "Producers at the BBC are Gentlemen's Sausages, We Drive Cool Cars"
Icecream_Ag
S
to be perfectly honest, I thought Hammond was going to beat the crap out of Clarkson and May for the whole rescue episode, and that was before he found out that the rescue beacon died before they even left England.
Big Cat `93
AG
I bet Rupert Murdoch would pony up to air the show on Sky.
Mathguy64
AG
quote:
I bet Rupert Murdoch would pony up to air the show on Sky.

So would Reed Hastings at Netflix and Jeff Bezos at Amazon.
dave99ag
AG
Does the BBC own the Top Gear property? I wonder how much they'd have to change in the program to go to another network.
Mathguy64
AG
I looked this morning. The BBC owns Top Gear. They would have to reboot under a different brand.
dave99ag
AG
Kind of reminds me when Letterman left NBC for CBS. Some things had to change, but it was still Letterman.
Mathguy64
AG
I see that BBC America is showing Top Gear reruns starting at 3 today going all the way through the normal time slots. Nice to see their convictions stop just short of making money.
schmendeler
AG
they almost always run reruns the whole day on bbc America on Mondays.
jabberwalkie09
AG
I guess that is one way to try and garner support to bring back Clarkson.

Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.