SNL - a new low tonight.

15,538 Views | 115 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by BTHOthatguy
TresPuertas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This show has been in it's death throws and its may have just pulled itself off life support this evening

Skit about a dad dropping his daughter at an airport to seemingly go to college/military. Turns out an ISIS truck drives up and some things are said. Most disgustingly "death to America".

I hope this f***er gets cancelled soon.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Eh that wasn't as bad a scene as you're making it imo
TresPuertas
AG
What was good about it? In pretty lax on a lot of stuff but it was disgusting and in poor taste.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Nothing was particularly "good" about it (could be said of a lot of SNL recently), but I think that the OP reaction is a little overboard.
TresPuertas
AG
Nothing about it is appropriate. ISIS has kidnapped and beheaded and burned alive people who think differently than they do. They are in the middle of a genocidal campaign. It's the personification of evil walking the earth.

They are still at it.

Let's make a skit about joining something like that. Seems acceptable.
20ag07
quote:

I hope this f***er gets cancelled soon.
It won't.
TresPuertas
AG
redd38
AG
One day the OP will look back at his life and wonder, "When did I get so old?"

The answer is February 28th, 2015.
txaggiefarmer05
AG
"Dad, it's just ISIS."

I found it funny.
Al Bula
AG
the entire episode was terrible.
TresPuertas
AG
It's amazing to me that people can see what ISIS is doing and thinkng that it remotely a joking matter.

If I'm old, so be it. At least I stand for something.
Urban Ag
AG
SNL is a part of the mainstream/entertainment media which is just an extension of the democrat party. Right now, the lock step talking points are to downplay ISIS. For many reasons. They are just carrying the water.

ISIS is doing unimaginable evil in the world right now. But just imagine is if instead of ISIS they downplayed an abortion clinic bomber, or neo nazis, or the KKK, or those against SSM. Heads would be called for.
PatAg
AG
death throes. Read a book
PatAg
AG
This is one of the amusing things about comedy. Everything is funny, until it's about something that offends you, then it crosses the line. There is NO line.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
death throes. Read a book
Damn beat me to it. Although Death Throws sounds like a great metal band, or something you could do in Dungeons & Dragons.

The weird thing is, if I watch a TV show and think it sucks, I never watch it again. Other people seem to decide a show sucks, then dedicate their nights to watching it religiously to remind the world that it sucks.
Counterpoint
AG
Also, naive teenage girls really ARE joining ISIS. They were making fun of that, not making light of ISIS.

Wade_3
AG
[Post your opinion without using insults or find another forum. -Staff]
Wade_3
AG
quote:
ISIS is doing unimaginable evil in the world right now. But just imagine is if instead of ISIS they downplayed an abortion clinic bomber, or neo nazis, or the KKK, or those against SSM. Heads would be called for.

It is funny how much you guys trudge this line up and beetch about it...

But then your type goes and does the same thing!

Also, as a poster above said...if you don't like it, don't watch it! I don't like fictional news so I don't watch fox...I also don't go and complain about it if I accidentally watch it...It's very simple.
Jacques
I laughed. I knew that was going to offend people. But I laughed.
Jacques
Dakota Johnson is cute btw. Kind of unconventional. Her teeth are a little messed up. But she's cute.
One Louder
AG
The opening skit about Guiliani was awful. I was far more offended at that. (Not offended that they poked fun at Rudy, but that they would think that was acceptable quality writing.)

It was the worst cold open I think I've ever seen on that show in recent memory, and that's saying something.
Counterpoint
AG
^
^
Have you seen Birdman?

(I thought the open sucked too, but if you've seen that it helps a lot!)

One Louder
AG
Ahhh, now it makes more sense..,.

No, haven't seen Birdman but judging from the reaction of the live studio audience, neither had they.
TajMaballer
AG
I liked the cold open.. I didn't necessarily find it funny. But I enjoyed it.
Chipotlemonger
AG
LOLOLOL at you thinking that just because someone has a laugh, that they don't want ISIS off the face of the earth. Thanks for making those assumptions.
30_Days
AG
quote:
But just imagine is if instead of ISIS they downplayed an abortion clinic bomber, or neo nazis, or the KKK, or those against SSM. Heads would be called for.

lol wut?

I do'nt know about abortion clinic bombers, but they've done skits about neo-nazis, KKK, and homophobic bigots

no heads were called for
Bruce Almighty
AG
Not everything in life is political.
Whoop04
Yeah, SNL is a mouthpiece for the dems.

SwaggerCopter
AG
I thought it was funny.
30_Days
AG
quote:
Yeah, SNL is a mouthpiece for the dems.

shhhh, don't burst their bubble
fido00
AG
I thought it was more making fun of the upper middle class girls who are running off to join ISIS
Bruce Almighty
AG
I go there whenever I need a laugh. A bunch of nut cases.
Mathguy64
AG
It was satire, taking a poke with a big stick at the naive kids (girls in particular) who are leaving to fight for ISIS. Nothing wrong at all and SNL has been making that kind of commentary for 40 years.
Jacques
The cold open didn't really make me laugh. But I thought it was clever. Not sure why it didn't work for me.
Jacques
quote:
It was satire, taking a poke with a big stick at the naive kids (girls in particular) who are leaving to fight for ISIS. Nothing wrong at all and SNL has been making that kind of commentary for 40 years.
It does sort of minimize the evil I guess.

Did SNL ever do a 911 skit? I honestly can't recall. But you can see that getting some outrage.

Again, I laughed. But there's some distance here in the US from this that makes it "funny." I can see both sides of it.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.