The Martian

61,840 Views | 376 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Mr. White
Murder Hornet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
Photoshop a visor, sun glasses, and a headset and we're talking!!

PERFECT!
heddleston
AG
That is just magnificent.
Sex Panther
AG
amazing
AlaskanAg99
AG
Saw this last night. Some small subtle items were filmed but not verbally explained so I had to tell my wife after it was over. I had read the book. It was fun and entertaining but not something I'd watch again. B+.
jeffk
AG
Saw it last night as well.

Very well done and I thought the cast did a great job capturing the characters in the book.

Especially liked the Council of Elrond scene.
scubasteve304
AG
I think this is where I stole that from, so credit to hillcountryag07

[url=http://texags.com/forums/5/topics/2632934][/url]

[url=http://texags.com/forums/5/topics/2632934][/url]

http://texags.com/forums/5/topics/2632934
israeliag
AG
quote:
Saw this last night. Some small subtle items were filmed but not verbally explained so I had to tell my wife after it was over. I had read the book. It was fun and entertaining but not something I'd watch again. B+.
I noticed him stirring Martian Coffee
Its Not Rocket Surgery
AG
quote:
The storm at the beginning was admittedly (by the author of the book) an exaggeration. The Martian atmosphere is very thin so even an extremely windy storm wouldn't come close to tipping over something like that.

I don't remember if i read that one here or if i had a discussion about it elsewhere. It makes sense though. That was his way of getting them off planet in an emergency.
This was basically the only part of the book that I had an issue with, but I read this and thought it was interesting:

Mars Polar Caps
"Mars has two permanent polar ice caps. During a pole's winter, it lies in continuous darkness, chilling the surface and causing the deposition of 25-30% of the atmosphere into slabs of CO2 ice (dry ice). When the poles are again exposed to sunlight, the frozen CO2 sublimes, creating enormous winds that sweep off the poles as fast as 400 km/h (250 mph). These seasonal actions transport large amounts of dust and water vapor, giving rise to Earth-like frost and large cirrus clouds."

Not sure what that release looks like given the lack of air density across the planet, but I didn't think any part of the Martian atmosphere moved like that, ever.
k20dub
AG
Finally saw the film last night. Read the book in a week thanks to the recommendation of Texags. GREAT book. Highly recommend. Movie was good, but not as good as I had hoped, admittedly I had high expectations. Definitely enjoyed the book more.
k20dub
AG
Also, read all of the comments on here and can't believe this hasn't been mentioned.

SPOILERS

At the very end of the book after he is saved, it says "If this were a movie, everyone would have been in the airlock, and there would have been high fives all around. But it didn't pan out that way."

Well, in the movie they are all there waiting for him hugging him and giving him high fives.
mid90
AG
quote:
Also, read all of the comments on here and can't believe this hasn't been mentioned.

SPOILERS

At the very end of the book after he is saved, it says "If this were a movie, everyone would have been in the airlock, and there would have been high fives all around. But it didn't pan out that way."

Well, in the movie they are all there waiting for him hugging him and giving him high fives.

Didn't notice that. Allsome.
jeffk
AG
I do wish they would of included Whatney's entry/speech about how inherently human it is to care about each other and help other in times of need.
Dro07
AG
quote:
I do wish they would of included Whatney's entry/speech about how inherently human it is to care about each other and help other in times of need.

I thought they did when he was talking to his class? I know they did in the trailer but can't remember
jeffk
AG
I don't think so. Iirc, he was just talking about solving problems and making jokes about being alone on Mars.
coupland boy
AG
quote:
I don't think so. Iirc, he was just talking about solving problems and making jokes about being alone on Mars.

That's what i recall too.
k20dub
AG
I think he sort of touched on it. Said something along the lines of: you will have the feeling that you are going to die. But you can't accept that, you have to find a solution to every problem.

Not really the same thing, but I think that's what dromo is referencing.
2008and1
AG
Haven't read through this thread, but I just saw this movie. Awesome movie!
RossG_2
AG
Referencing the council of Elrond with Sean Bean sitting at the table. Best part IMO.
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
Referencing the council of Elrond with Sean Bean sitting at the table. Best part IMO.

Didn't even think of this when I saw the movie.
Philo B 93
I finished the book yesterday, and I'm watching the movie tonight. I stayed away from this thread until I had done one or the other. Now that I've read 11 pages of people peeing their pants about how great the movie is, I can't wait.

After reading the entire book over a few nights, I assume there is always a way I can fix any problem with objects and tools I have on hand. I'm looking forward to my car breaking down on I-10 west of Kerrville someday. As long as I have some duck tape, some rocks, and a half a can of coke, I'm sure I'll get that sucker running in no time. If not, I'll be able to survive for several months until I'm rescued.

Very inspirational movie.
mid90
AG
alternate movie title:

"MacGyver Goes to Mars"
Buck O Five
AG
After a second viewing, they could have named this, "Matt Damon Eating in Space."
OldCamp
I had read the book when it first came out and it was outstanding.
I just saw the movie a couple of weeks ago and it was OK up until then end when it got really bad.
Dont want to leave any spoilers, but the ending is laughable.
lunchbox
Happened to watch a screener for the Awards voters a couple of weeks ago and noticed that a bunch of scenes had been removed.

The ones that immediately come to mind are some of the charging scenes on the way to get Pathfinder and the scenes with the shrink while they were being tested before the mission (where Watney delivers the Aquaman line).

Not sure why they would have been cut...I can kind of see the tedious scenes being removed so they don't bore the voters...shrug
double aught
AG
I don't think those psychology interviews were ever in the movie. The were just used in promotional material.
lunchbox
quote:
I don't think those psychology interviews were ever in the movie. The were just used in promotional material.
Bah - you are right...my bad.

I'm probably wrong about the Pathfinder trip being more drawn out then too...

I also read the book between viewings and that might be adding to my confusion.
Buck O Five
AG
With a couple more isolation shots, and a different sound track, this could become a very different movie to watch.
Mr. White
This was bad. It's just a long, sterile review of the book. Zero tension.

Someone a few pages back (in August, I think) talked about how the mutiny scene could be huge. Instead it's:

"You guys wanna mut..."

"Let's do it."

I'm a huge Matt Damon fan but I want to punch his smug face and this smug movie right in the mouth.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.