The Martian

61,789 Views | 376 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Mr. White
cmk10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Has anyone read this book and if so how was it?
AgHawkeye
AG
If you bothered asking just read it. You won't be disappointed.
TCTTS
AG
http://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2600443
Original_NoOlives
AG
My Favorite Martian starting Chris Lloyd & Jeff Daniels?
unmade bed
Loved it. Didn't read though, listened to it.

http://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2495589/replies#
Wade_3
AG
Awesome book!

I listened to it as well and normally only listen to audio books on my commute but I couldn't stop listening to it. Absolutely loved it!
jeffk
AG
Listened to the audiobook as well.

Fantastic story - reminded me of Apollo 13 for obvious reasons, but just a really, really fun book. Highly recommend it
TCTTS
AG
If anyone wants the script to this, let me know and I'll send it over: theohoff20@gmail.com

Haven't read the book or the script, but based on talent/concept alone, this project is one of my most anticipated of the year, and would love to hear how the book and script compare
schmendeler
AG
book was great. some very nerdy sci-fi. hope they stick with it for the movie.
jeffk
AG
quote:
If anyone wants the script to this, let me know and I'll send it over: theohoff20@gmail.com

Haven't read the book or the script, but based on talent/concept alone, this project is one of my most anticipated of the year, and would love to hear how the book and script compare

I wouldn't mind looking over the script sometime, TC. My email address is in my profile.
TCTTS
AG
^ Just emailed it to you. Post your thoughts when/if you get the chance.
Sex Panther
AG
Can you send it to me TC? I've never read a script and never really had a desire to, but I'm reading the book right now so I may as well.
TCTTS
AG
^ Just sent it.
jeffk
AG
Thanks, TC.
TCTTS
DanTheMan55
Great book. Anticipating the movie.
Murder Hornet
AG
TC, just sent you a pm with my email for the script.
TCTTS
AG
Gotcha. Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts.
Wade_3
AG
This was one of those books where I couldn't really find a major plot hole, even though I tried. It all seemed pretty feasible.

Granted, I'm not an expert on Martian botany so I could be missing something.
TCTTS
AG
Was closing the doc, couldn't help myself, and just read a random 20 page chunk of the script from the first half or so.

Wow.

This movie is going to be AMAZING.

The Martian, Bond, and Star Wars all come out within like six weeks of each other. What a run that's going to be.
Murder Hornet
AG
The book was great and read almost like a script. I agree about each successive disaster they put him in had a way out without feeling like a deus ex. When I read the synopsis I thought it would suck, but I was hooked after the first couple of pages
schmendeler
AG
The author did an ama and said that the only thing he made a big fib about was that the Martian atmosphere is way too thin for the initial storm to have done the damage depicted.
Rule Number 32
AG
This book is awesome. 3/4 of the way through!
bigboykin
AG
It's worth mentioning that the audiobook was very well done, too. The narrator (R.C. Bray) does an excellent job with the characters' accents, attitudes, etc. For those like me with more drive time and less reading time than they'd like, this one's worth listening to.

Also, kind of off topic, but I wanted to mention Weir's short story, The Egg. Kind of an interesting take on a familiar subject and it only takes a few minutes to read. Readily available online, but since I don't know the copyright status, I'll leave it up to you to find.
Rule Number 32
AG
I'm actually listening to the audiobook and completely agree. He's done a really good job with most of the accents and timing on the crazy stuff that Mark says.
TCTTS
AG
First footage from the movie just screened at CinemaCon in Vegas (where every studio previews their upcoming slate for theater owners/journalists/bloggers)...

Peter Sciretta @slashfilm
Ridley Scott's The Martian looks ****ing amazing. Huge applause from crowd at #CinemaCon . So very excited.

Steven Weintraub @colliderfrosty
THE MARTIAN extended trailer was fantastic. Cast and visuals for Ridley Scott's film look awesome. Def going to be a big hit.

Josh Lincoln Dickey @NotoriousJLD
THE MARTIAN footage -- lots of it. Were it not for INTERSTELLAR and GRAVITY, it would look like the most exciting new movie in many years.

Alex Billington @firstshowing
Ridley Scott's The Martian with Matt Damon looks fantastic. Nothing like Interstellar, a bit of Cast Away vibe, but so much more. I'm in.

Jeff Sneider @TheInSneider
THE MARTIAN looks SICK!

Eric Vespe @EricVespe
First footage of Ridley Scott's The Martian looked great. Damon stranded on Mars. Think a more action-y Apollo 13

Devin Faraci @devincf
THE MARTIAN: OH WOW! It looks ******* awesome. Damon says "I have to science the sh*t out of this."

Eric Vespe @EricVespe
The Martian: Damon is stranded on Mars. Rescue is 4 yrs away, he has 31 days life support. "I'm gonna have to science the sh*t outta this."

Edward Douglas @EDouglasWW
Footage from Inarritu's The Revenant and Ridley Scott's The Martian both look amazing. Should be two of the highlights of the Fall.

Steven Weintraub @colliderfrosty
Best of the panel was THE REVENANT and THE MARTIAN. Both looked awesome and impressive for different reasons. Fox is going to have huge year
TCTTS
AG
http://www.thewrap.com/leonardo-dicaprios-the-revenant-matt-damons-the-martian-stun-crowd-at-cinemacon/
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I recently read the book in a week and loved it. Very curious to see how they make it work on the big screen, but this sounds promising!
Texas Yarddog
AG
i just finished reading the book. As in previous book recommendations, TexAgs does not disappoint.

Great read. I didn't do audiobook, but probably will prior to film release. I couldn't put the book down. Loved the gallows humor thrown in.
TCTTS
AG
Cinemacon: Matt Damon Sciences The Sh*t Out Of THE MARTIAN Footage
Texas Yarddog
AG
It will be interesting to see how they translate this to film. Most of it was inner dialogue.

And I hope they don't Hollywood up the science. From what I could tell, other than the initial windstorm destruction, the science was pretty tight.
Sex Panther
AG
Damn

http://io9.com/sorry-interstellar-we-just-saw-some-of-the-martian-an-1699793860

High hopes about this one. No doubt it will look great, but here's to hoping that Scott doesn't trip over himself like his last couple of projects.

I just finished the screenplay and it was really good... and of course the book was fantastic. Definitely suggest it to anyone who enjoys adventure, science and humor.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I feel like the only person in the world that loved Prometheus.
schmendeler
AG
Without clicking on each of those links, do any have trailer footage?
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Without clicking on each of those links, do any have trailer footage?

Nope. Hoping a trailer hits this month, though.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.