*** Sorkin / STEVE JOBS ***

13,084 Views | 111 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That was great. Fassbender was brilliant as expected. But I have to say, the scene with Jobs and Sculley squaring off was ****ing phenomenal. Amazing acting by both guys.

I really liked the things like quotes being projected on the floor, and the shuttle launch being shown across the hallway. Boyle-isms for sure. Really nice touches.

But I thought the ending was a little too feel-good-y. And I'm still unclear as to why he claimed he wasn't Lisa's father and why he refused to pay for Harvard.

When Lisa asked him at the end, he said something that I didn't make out, did anyone catch that?

Oh, and completely with you TC, on how it's a little hard to believe Steve had conversations with the exact same people before each launch. It did seem a little ridiculous and repetitive by the end.

Other than that, really good.
boogieman
AG
A lot of fun watching Fassbender, Winslet (who I could see getting a nomination) and even Jeff Daniels work with Sorkin's script. So much fun. As an old West Wing fan the walk-n-talks had me smiling.

Loved the structure of the movie, although I agree that it was getting a little tired by the third product launch.
Nice touch filming each of the three acts in 3 different formats.

I though it wrapped up a little to neatly, but I don't think it would of made for a satisfying movie if it didn't do that.
agmag90
Saw this last night, really liked it. I really liked the closing song, if anyone else was curious its "Grew up at midnight" by The Maccabees
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, the whole soundtrack is amazing. Probably my favorite movie score of the year so far.

Seems like we're all having roughly the same thoughts/reactions to the movie as whole. Definitely in my top three to five for 2015 at this point, but I still can't help but think what Fincher would have done with this. Might have been my number one with him at the helm.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Little disappointed (though not surprised) that most, if not all of the conversations in the movie were complete fiction. Winslet's character didn't work at Apple when the iMac launched, and Jobs and Sculley never spoke again after he fired Jobs.

Still, hard to complain when you're getting Sorkin dialogue.
TCTTS
AG
^ Wow, that's interesting. I knew most of the movie didn't actually take place as depicted, but to have completely fabricated the emotional endings of two of the main relationships is definitely a bit too much.
Jim01
AG
Finally watched this now that it's out on digital. The acting was great. The writing was great as expected.

I give it a thumbs up, however I just couldn't shake the feeling that it was like watching The Social Network 2: iMac Boogaloo

It looked Fincher-esque.
It was paced like a Fincher movie.
The score, while good, sounded very much like Reznor and Ross.
Even the themes of a co-worker that created something being pushed away into the backseat. And the genius trying so hard to make people not like him.

I still give it a thumbs up, but it just felt derivative of The Social Network for me to call it great.
TCTTS
AG
Randomly rewatched this for the first time in years tonight, and damn that was great. So underrated all this time later.

Yes, the overall conceit is a little too forced and convenient (the exact same people showing up in each of the three eras, all half an hour before each keynote), and I understand that Jobs' life was more toxic and his "arc" wasn't as neatly tied up with a bow as presented here. But man, the dialogue and the performances and the energy are just incredible. Same goes for the cinematography and the score. And again, as gimmicky as the overall structure is, it's still somehow so incredibly effective.

Would definitely recommend revisiting if you guys get the chance.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.