*****Better Call Saul - Season 1*******

193,750 Views | 1346 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Know Your Enemy
Btron
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I thought the old woman with the dolls going over her will was my favorite part of this week's episode. When she's slow rolling down the stairs in her lift chair, it was hilarious. You could tell that was such a beating for Jimmy.
Scotch
AG
He's doesn't try to rip everyone off, he charged the lady with the Hunmel's a fair price for drawing up a will.
Scotch
AG
Also, these interaction with clients let's non-BB watchers, and us, see at what level his morality sits.
Jacques
Still watching, but the last two episodes have seemed slow to me. Entertaining moments. And I get the foundation being laid here: he wants to be good but he just can't make it that way.

Still, it's slow right now.
Complete Idiot
quote:
quote:
If this show had gone straight to Saul representing bad guys and embezzling money, then this show would suck. It's like people want to turn 2001 into Armageddon.

Exactly. It's Saul's story, not Walter's.

I tried saying that a few pages ago. His problems aren't Walt's problems. His life is completely different.

I know I said it'll be a few episodes before I can't take this thread anymore, but now is probably the time to check out because I'm really enjoying the show, and this thread is 75% nonsense. I think as a show it is much stronger in S1 than BB was. BB was a mess in the early seasons imo.

Credit VG and crew for honing in on their craft through the evolution of BB and becoming stronger showrunners. Obviously BCS gets the benefit of having known characters which helps, but it is just more concentrated and well-made than BB s1.

Y'all enjoy!
Over analysis might lessen the enjoyability of watching, but additional analysis from a huge BB fan and growing BCS fan below anyway......

I don't think "stronger showrunning" is gonna grab viewers. Maybe the shortened BB Season 1 wasn't as technically proficient, but it had a lot more going for it in my opinion. The basic premise: Under-employed HS Chemistry teacher who just missed shot at riches gets diagnosed with terminal cancer and decides to try manufacturing meth to provide for wife, HS son, and newborn after he is gone. There is relatability, compassion, intrigue, character turns, and lots of crazy supporting characters to introduce into that background. Whereas Breaking Bad is sleazy lawyer without many compelling characteristics and you know how the story ends. That is NOT to say that BCS doesn't have better season 1 writing or cinematography, but I think people were hooked on the basic story points of BB early. I don't think having known characters helps, maybe the opposite is true.
ac04
absolutely loving this show, it's fantastic. but i just read the last few pages of this thread and i couldn't be more disappointed, already sick of all the crying and *****ing. guess i will stick to discussing with friends and reading sepinwall's recaps. some of you guys could F up a wet dream
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:
absolutely loving this show, it's fantastic. but i just read the last few pages of this thread and i couldn't be more disappointed, already sick of all the crying and *****ing. guess i will stick to discussing with friends and reading sepinwall's recaps. some of you guys could F up a wet dream

Amen.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The whining and *****ing about other people's opinions is even worse.
jdls13
AG
I am thoroughly enjoying this show. Therefore I will continue watching.
TX AG 88
AG
I'm enjoying the show AND no one's post on this thread has upset me in the slightest. I can see fair points from those who absolutely love it AND those who don't like the pace.
DanHo2010
AG
I feel like those of you who are complaining have forgotten that this show is a COMEDIC drama starring a COMEDIAN growing into the role of Breaking Bad's COMIC relief. Some of the scenes, like 75% of tonight's episode, are surrealist COMEDY and are supposed to be enjoyed for their COMEDIC value. The toilet? The secessionist? The old folks home? Even the ridiculous nature of Chuck's illness? COMEDY. COMEDY COMEDY COMEDY.
Pro Ag
AG
quote:
The whining and *****ing about other people's opinions is even worse.

Added nothing to the thread either way. Sadly it's the Internet way and good discussion is hard to find without people screwing it up.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I posted my opinion about the episode and explained my reasoning. Then I was attacked for disliking it and now there's been several pages of people going back and forth about supposed whining about the show.

This thread is about the show and it wasn't me that got it off track. So don't tell me I added nothing to the thread, when I posted about the show, which is the reason this thread exists.

And people call me a fanboy. This is ridiculous.
Post removed:
by user
Know Your Enemy
AG
You're wrong. Pretty sure Mike's first appearance is when Walt had Jesse call Saul after Jane OD'd. Saul sent Mike to clean up the scene.
mazzag
AG
I always thought the Saul/Mike connection was thru Gus. Seems not. But somehow mike gets tied to Gus but I've never seen Gus/Saul.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Well Mike is the link between Gus and Saul, and Saul knows all about Gus, but I don't think we ever see them interact. It's probably just that Mike has told Saul all about Gus, but I don't think there's a relationship of any kind between the two.
mazzag
AG
I know. I want to find out how mike met Gus away from Saul. . I hope the show shows that.
TexasAggie008
AG
In BB, Saul says he "knows a guy that knows a guy...that knows another guy"...I think. Either way, it's clear Mike is the first guy in that description.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
I don't post on this board a whole lot, but is it possible to start a thread for better call Saul fans only... to discuss the shows?
TexasAggie008
AG
And what's great about that is that seeing Mike and gus interact could happen this season or next because it fits within the story...Gus had been doing it"for years" right? He's likely in full operation in whatever the predecessor to the fancy lab was, in BCS time.
mazzag
AG
Mike needs to clear up legal stuff and repair his relationship with his daughter first. His granddaughter won't even be born until next season?
TexasAggie008
AG
That's all true...but we do know that Mike either already is or will be within a few years in the inner circle of ABQ drug rings/crime, even if it's as more of a "passive" participant. He was involved in all of that when his relationship with his daughter and granddaughter was good , so I'm not sure that he has to fix things with his daughter first before all of that starts.

And stupid question, but are we sure the chief (I think) at the door was an Abq cop? Mike was a cop in philly remember ... Prob nothing to do with that but just a thought
Scotch
AG
I just assumed it had everything to do with that. (Philly)
Complete Idiot
"And stupid question, but are we sure the chief (I think) at the door was an Abq cop? Mike was a cop in philly remember ... Prob nothing to do with that but just a thought"

The cop at the door told Mike "you're a long way from home" and Mike replied "so are you" - I thought it was obvious it was a Philly cop.
DanHo2010
AG
One big question is, why on earth is Mike in ABQ in the first place? Especially manning a parking booth. There's really no good reason for him to be there. He's not from there and his experience would presumably be able to get him a better job. My guess is he left Philly and came to ABQ for the express purpose of tracking that woman, presumably his daughter. Something to do with her is going to be why Mike turns to crime.
LawAg05
AG
Those of you saying the show stinks need to look at the garbage being produced on a regular basis by the networks. Reality tv is garbage. I love this show and its one of the only things I DVR.
GigEmAgs14
AG
quote:
Those of you saying the show stinks need to look at the garbage being produced on a regular basis by the networks. Reality tv is garbage. I love this show and its one of the only things I DVR.
Well said.

EOT
mazzag
AG
Very well said. There's only 4.5 hours of network shows I watch and 1 hour of that is not a must see and none of it is reality TV. AMC & HBO have spoiled me.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yep, even "bad" episodes of this show are better than 95% of the **** on TV.

Gilligan has definitely spoiled us.
zap
AG
quote:
One big question is, why on earth is Mike in ABQ in the first place? Especially manning a parking booth. There's really no good reason for him to be there. He's not from there and his experience would presumably be able to get him a better job. My guess is he left Philly and came to ABQ for the express purpose of tracking that woman, presumably his daughter. Something to do with her is going to be why Mike turns to crime.

I assume he walked a fine line as a cop in Philly. He was probably in bed with some gangsters. Things got crazy and he headed west and landed in ABQ, where his daughter lives.
Complete Idiot
If you watched Breaking Bad, you know the reason Mike is in ABQ. So I won't share it - I think not knowing makes BCS more interesting to watch week to week. It will be revealed, and probably in greater detail than what was shared in BB.
Mr.Bond
AG
I watched BB and I can't remember
Dro07
AG
quote:
If you watched Breaking Bad, you know the reason Mike is in ABQ. So I won't share it - I think not knowing makes BCS more interesting to watch week to week. It will be revealed, and probably in greater detail than what was shared in BB.
outside of his granddaughter and never seen daughter living there I don't remember hearing a reason
GigEmAgs14
AG
quote:
quote:
outside of his granddaughter and never seen daughter living there I don't remember hearing a reason

Agreed

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.