Best military biopics

2,026 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by 2ndGen87
The Debt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Patton
American Sniper (Kyle)
To Hell and Back (Murphy)
Gods and Generals (Jackson)

How would you rank em? Am I missing any? (if someone says First Blood so me...)
Bruce Almighty
AG
Add Born on the Fourth of July
Noblemen06
AG
We Were Soldiers
Duncan Idaho
Do any of audy Murphys movies count?

jkag89
Lawrence of Arabia
aTmAg
AG
Black Hawk Down
Band of Brothers
Stive
AG
To Hell And Back is one of my favorite BOOKS of all time. I've got an original copy that Audie signed for my grandfather when my grandfather was in the state legislature way back when and had the chance to meet him.

To Hell and Back the movie, IMO, is terrible. It may have just been a product of the times and how war movies were made back then, but Murphy was a terrible actor at that point, the other guys around him were corny at best and none of the grittiness of the book carried over onto the screen.

The Debt
quote:

What do you mean? His westerns aren't biographical films. To Hell and Back is his account in WWII.
jeffk
AG
Restrepo is more of an actual documentary, but I thought it was really well done.

The Debt
I guess there might be some misunderstanding on the question. A "biopic" is a biographical picture/film.

While SPR is a masterpeice its not biographical in the sense that it is talking about a real person "James Francis Ryan". The plot was loosely based on the Niland brothers. Two of the four were dead, the third presumed dead (actually a POW), and the 4th was discharged. The two that lived died in the 1980s.

To Hell and Back is not only a biographical film, but an autobiographical film. Because A) Audie looked like he was 16 well into his adult life, and B) who else is gonna play him? seriously. Imagine being at a casting call and theres a dude sitting there, covered in 20 lbs of decorations and the MoH around his neck, not needing to recite lines cuz he wrote em. lol.

Then there is Black Hawk Down and We Were Soldiers, there are countless military films too like Midway and, gag, Pearl Harbor that focus on events in the war, they may even tell it from a protagonist's perspective. But they arent biographical because the movie's focus is about the battle, not one guy over the course of many years. Does that make sense?
aTmAg
AG
Well, i guess this thread will be short then. There aren't a whole lot them.
The Debt
Just googled biopics and these are a few I missed that cover a military figure:

Lawrence of Arabia (Lawrence)
Braveheart (Wallace)
Men of Honor (Brashear) Cuba Gooding Jr, Robert Deniro
Jarhead (Swoffard)
Defiance (Bielski) Daniel Craig, Liev Schreiber
maverick2076
Sergeant York
Duncan Idaho
quote:
quote:

What do you mean? His westerns aren't biographical films. To Hell and Back is his account in WWII.
it was a joke
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
No love for Lone Survivor?
The Debt
See I would put lone survivor in the category that focuses on an event. We don't see Luttrell before astan, the training scene was just random footage. Sure we find out what happens after in the epilogue. But I wouldn't go so far to say it was a film about his biography.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
My personal favorite is Patton. Also American Sniper, We Were Soldiers.
2ndGen87
AG
When i was a kid, and first saw To Hell and Back, I thought, geeze, I know Audie Murphy was supposed to be young but this actor is over doing it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.