FRANK

1,115 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Gerald Tarrant
mike_ags_fan12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Has anyone seen this movie on Netflix? And if so, thoughts? I found it to be weird but to the extent of still keeping me watching it.
ABKitch
AG
Watched it the other night, albeit somewhat distracted. I kept thinking it could be much funnier or touching but it was just a little too weird (and I'm usually a fan of quirky/weird movies). Reminded me a little of a couple of Noah Baumbach films I've seen..?

Oh and **SPOILER ALERT? **

in the end was Frank the well known actor that I think he was? Been meaning to look it up.
TXAGFAN
AG
It's Magneto.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
He said it was basically voice work, someone else was under the mask.

Is it worth watching? Saw Fassbender on the talk show circuit, saw some clips and read a review, but never got an idea of what they were going for.
mike_ags_fan12
i think it's worth watching. Could have been funnier
COOL LASER FALCON
Watched this today. I have to admit, I didn't really get what they were going for. Seems like there's a message about creativity and the pressure/anxiety of putting something out there for people to judge, but I'm just not sure what that message was. I was able to stick with it and I'd even say I was entertained, but not something I'll seek out or recommend to anyone else.
GCRanger
AG
Wife and I watched it tonight. I loved it, wife thought it was pretty good. It was quirky and weird. I really enjoyed the music. I was reminded of The Doors, Octopus Project, Joy Division, Laurie Anderson, Sonic Youth, Stereolab, etc. Apparently the actors played all the music live so that is pretty cool.
IMO, it deals superficially with mental illness but is more about expression of self, how we hide ourselves, and how the people around you can push you in a good or bad direction of life, and that the perception of that direction is different depending on the audience. There is also a a commentary on social media. It was funny but not ha ha funny in the American sense. All together I really liked it and would watch again.
Not sure if any of that makes sense, I've had a few drinks. I love you all.

edit: Frank's voice and vocal mannerisms reminded me of Johnny Depp as Dr. Gonzo/Thompson in Fear and Loathing. turns out the part was written with Depp in mind.
Gerald Tarrant
watched this in theaters originally, did not know it was on Netflix. probably will re-watch it now.

it was definitely an interesting film without a clear purpose, but something about it was...charming, i guess. and i wouldn't call the casting of Fassbender a secret or a twist, it was marketed with him as a lead (though I thought he pulled off a difficult role with a good deal of emotional impact)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.