Medieval Fiction

2,834 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by KidDoc
G.I.Bro
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Can anyone recommend some good medieval fictions books/series? I'm currently reading a history of the crusades and would like some fiction along with it. I'm up to date on the song of ice and fire, and I love The Once and Future King. I enjoyed The Eye of the Dragon by Stephen King, as well. What else is out there?
The Debt
IbtRingers
SapperAg
AG
Parcival and Sir Gawain and the Green Knight if you want actual Medieval literature from the Middle Ages.
jkag89
The Once and Future King & The Book of Merlyn by T.H. White
The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett (not a fan of the sequel. World Without End)
The Mist of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley
Duncan Idaho
Beowulf and Canterbury Tales are about all of the medieval fiction I know of.
The Debt
You could go Arthurian lit. Green knight. Etc.

Maybe Don quixoti.
G.I.Bro
Thanks for the input, the other T.H. White novel and the Avalon one intrigue me, along with other Arthurian legend books. Might give the pillars one a chance at a later time.
aggiesq
AG
I enjoyed Timeline by Michael Crighton
G.I.Bro
I read that recently as well. I liked it overall, however I felt like their time back there went too quickly. I would have liked for them to have a week over there, more time to try and blend in, get food and shelter, etc.
TXAGFAN
AG
I loved Pillars of the Earth.
H6RBW
AG
quote:

The book was great. The movie was terrible.
MW03
AG
quote:
I loved Pillars of the Earth.
+1
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
The Winter King by Bernard Cornwell. Edit: it's probably set earlier than you are thinking because it is Arthurian but I really liked it
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
quote:
quote:

Agree. Not a fan of Paul Walker being the lead
marble rye
AG
OP did you ever check out Patrick Rothfuss' The Kingkiller Chronicles, like I told you?!
G.I.Bro
No? Were we drinking when you suggested them?
MidnightYell2003
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
I enjoyed Timeline by Michael Crichton

Agree. Not a fan of Paul Walker being the lead
Agree and agree and agree
marble rye
AG
quote:
No? Were we drinking when you suggested them?

No, it was via text back when we were both reading ASOIAF.
Seven11
AG
I thought the Heaven Tree trilogy (Edith Pargeter) was far, far better than Pillars of the Earth, and is one of my all-time favorites.
jenn96
AG
It's late Medieval, and not really fiction, but The Sunne in Splendor by Sharon Kay Penman is just an outstanding book about the last years of the Wars of the Roses, and Kings Edward IV and Richard III. Although the subject matter and main characters are historical, it's a novel, and very well done - I know how it ends because I'm a history buff and was still spellbound, and the less you know about 15th century England the more exiting the plot twists will be. Reminded me a lot of ASOIAF without any magical elements - the political intrigue and warfare are first rate (and yes I know that that Martin has made intentional parallels with the War of the Roses and ASOIAF).

Really a great book. And I also highly recommend Pillars of the Earth and Timeline.
mid90
AG
The Lies of Locke Lamora

not truly medieval, but one of the best books I've ever read. Think Ocean's 11, but in a fantasy world. And way more badass.
Blanco Jimenez
AG
I enjoyed Jack Whyte's Templar Trilogy series if your into the Knights Templar. They fit in if you are reading up on the Crusades.
maverick2076
Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Chronicles are awesome. Jack Whyte's Camulod Chronicles is a great take on the Arthur legends.
rononeill
quote:
Bernard Cornwell
while his stories are a little formulaic, this guy can write. i got introduced to him bc "The Archer's Tale" had a cool cover graphic or something real substantial like that. ended up flying through that book and the rest of the series - then most of his other books. its excellent plane ride material. i also like that you pick up a little history in addition to a good story. lots of good trivia in them
- st. guinefort? who'd have thunk there was a dog that's a saint?
- the longbow? talk about a badass, under appreciated weapon... mildly depressed you need to get on that thing as a 4 year old to make any use of it...
Clavell
AG
Have really enjoyed the Sharon Kay Penman books. Does great job of researching. As close to non fiction as can get, but read like fiction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharon_Kay_Penman
maverick2076
quote:
The Lies of Locke Lamora

not truly medieval, but one of the best books I've ever read. Think Ocean's 11, but in a fantasy world. And way more badass.

These are excellent, although they are technically fantasy. I hope you have read the next two books in the Gentlemen ******* Sequence as well. They only get better.
mid90
AG
quote:
quote:
The Lies of Locke Lamora

These are excellent, although they are technically fantasy. I hope you have read the next two books in the Gentlemen ******* Sequence as well. They only get better.
Of course! I am almost finished with my re-read of Republic of Thieves. can't wait for The Thorn of Emberlain. Should be out this year!
Capt_Crunch 14
AG
quote:
I enjoyed Jack Whyte's Templar Trilogy series if your into the Knights Templar. They fit in if you are reading up on the Crusades.

Was going to suggest the same thing. Order in Chaos was great.
maverick2076
quote:
quote:
quote:
The Lies of Locke Lamora

Of course! I am almost finished with my re-read of Republic of Thieves. can't wait for The Thorn of Emberlain. Should be out this year!
I hope so. I don't want to go through a 6 year drought if Lynch has another nervous breakdown like he did between Lies and Red Seas.
KidDoc
AG
Joe Abercrombie is a great low fantasy type series. I really love his gritty books.

http://www.amazon.com/Joe-Abercrombie/e/B001JP7WJC/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1422586275&sr=1-2-ent

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.