Saw "American Sniper"......

8,288 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Macarthur
agracer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is this a movie I can take my 12 yr old to see? Is it full of lot of gore (like saving private Ryan) or is it just violent with out the extreme visuals?
Nonregdrummer09
AG
quote:
Is this a movie I can take my 12 yr old to see? Is it full of lot of gore (like saving private Ryan) or is it just violent with out the extreme visuals?
Umm, there's a couple of pretty disturbing scenes with a character referred to as "The Butcher" outside of that nothing comes to mind. It's not nearly as violent as Lone Survivor was. In fact of a lot of the "blood" effects are pretty bad in some places.
Objective Aggie
AG
I took my 13 year old and am glad I did.

But it is violent. There is sex. And there is language, lots of language. Oh yeah, all that makes sense because the movie is about war.

I used to look at this site here. They basically tell you what is in each movie. Pretty useful. At least yo can make an informed decision based on YOUR criteria. Here is their writeup on American Sniper.
Rating of Kidfriendliness
Duncan Idaho
So I saw this this weekend.

Overall good movie and I think it will be interesting to see how it is viewed in 50 years. I think it will be seem as a well done criticism of the intentional shielding of the war from the average person and the belief that war is something you can do on tours with little to transition.

That said, there were a few things that I didn't think were good film making:

1) I thought the implied relationship between 911 and Iraq was sloppy and agenda driven.

2) the 5 mins of funeral footage while emotional, was a crutch that I don't think a better film maker would have had to resort to.

So flame away
PJYoung
AG
I watched it on opening weekend and left feeling like the ending 5 minute montage was the only moving part in the entire film.

I thought Bradley Cooper did a fantastic job but the film making wasn't believable for me. The sniper versus sniper scenes were poorly done in my opinion (EDIT due to spoiler)

I was shocked at the amount of positive publicity this movie has gotten and I personally feel like it's 100% because of the Chris Kyle story and how much of a hero he was, not because of the quality of the film itself.
Ziggy Sobotka
AG
quote:
2) the 5 mins of funeral footage while emotional, was a crutch that I don't think a better film maker would have had to resort to.
I always appreciate it when a movie based on a true story goes back to actual pictures of the real people or scenes from the real events in that person's life. I don't view it as a crutch at all.
Tobias Funke
AG
quote:

Overall good movie and I think it will be interesting to see how it is viewed in 50 years. I think it will be seem as a well done criticism of the intentional shielding of the war from the average person and the belief that war is something you can do on tours with little to transition.

1) I thought the implied relationship between 911 and Iraq was sloppy and agenda driven.

So flame away

Not sure if you read the book, but Kyle talks at length about how 9/11 affected him and drove him to continue going back. I didn't see that as Hollywooded up at all
Macarthur
quote:

So flame away

I think this is interesting because I've read stuff all over the board on Eastwood. Many critics think he has made some absolutely amazing films and some incredibly terrible ones.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.