Saw "American Sniper"......

8,282 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Macarthur
FAST FRED
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
........starring Bradley Cooper and directed by Clint Eastwood.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2179136/

My wife and I joined an almost full house of 250 or so viewers at our local multi-plex at 2:00 last Friday afternoon.

Reportedly, several showings during the previous week turned away a number of expectant movie goers and I've noticed that six starting times are scheduled daily at least through the next weekend.

Our audience seemed very interested and remained quite attentive with frequent hushed murmurs, sudden gasps and other quiet sounds indicating apprehension, shock and/or empathy as Bradley Cooper portrayed Navy Seal Chris Kyle growing up with his Texas family, meeting and marrying his wife, serving with his comrades in arms in Iraq and trying to adjust to his life back home after each of his four tours.

The only thing that didn't seem real and true to me in this entire film was a single doll held by new father Kyle which fell noticeably short of being an actual baby.

Cooper gives a believable, well studied and thoughtful, objective and nuanced, cinematic portrait of a soldier serving his country and doing his specific duty to protect his brothers in arms from those trying to do them harm.

Kyle was skillful, sensitive to the responsibilities of his mission, used good judgement in the field and was brave.

Clint Eastwood delivers an accurate and balanced film about the harsh brutality of war and the different realities of returning home.

I appreciated this flick much as I do "Sergeant York," with Gary Cooper, and "We Were Soldiers," featuring Mel Gibson.

Each of those excellent motion pictures gives a vivid and honest representation of war, both on the field of battle and on the home front.

Thanks to all those (and their families) who have served, over there and over here.

IMO, Chris Kyle and his comrades are American heroes.

And I was proud that the audience at my theater in Marble Falls paid such close attention and when many clapped before filing out.

In my review of "Unbroken" I noted how the incomplete denouement and the lack of enough visual resolution of that true, heroic story disappointed me at movie's end.

I'll look forward to seeing new director Angelina Jolie's work improve in the future.

Here, in comparison, I thought seasoned and more practiced director Eastwood got it right.

What did you think?
Gig 'em, FAST FRED, '65.

Before the world wide web, village idiots usually stayed in their own village.
The Debt
Idk if it was BCs stage presence or what, but I was fixated on his face when he held his child. I didn't notice the baby. I couldn't care if it looked like a cabbage patch doll, the focus of that scene was kyle detached from his own soul and suffering but connecting to something human, something fundamentally good. Who the f cares what the set dressing looks like.

But you're right about the company this film keeps. The hardest scene in We Were Soldiers was the telegram scene when the Col.'s wife explodes then 180s after he says meekly "I don't like this job maam, I'm just trying to do it."
The Debt
Dp
Nonregdrummer09
AG
It's not a perfect movie by any stretch (some of the actions scenes and visual effects were done extremely poorly) and I think that Eastwood did ok as the director, but Bradley Cooper completely carried the movie. Film has no shot to win Best Picture because it has too many issues, but it was good, and Cooper was excellent. I'd give it a B+, A- in that range.
AgsMnn
AG
About to walk in now.
mwm
Wow. Just wow. I just walked out and I am numb.
Danger Mouse
AG
Just got back from the theatre. Cooper nailed the role. Sienna Miller also was superb. The movie was damn good, and Oscar worthy. Many thanks to those whom have served our country, and particularly those whom have given the ultimate sacrifice.
Class of '91 (MEEN)
fido00
AG
quote:
But you're right about the company this film keeps. The hardest scene in We Were Soldiers was the telegram scene when the Col.'s wife explodes then 180s after he says meekly "I don't like this job maam, I'm just trying to do it."
This. Every time I watch that movie, I lose it right there.
Gigem314
AG
Saw it today and thought it was excellent. Bradly Cooper gives an Oscar worthy performance. I thought they portrayed Chris Kyle and our military well.
maverick2076
quote:
quote:
This. Every time I watch that movie, I lose it right there.
That scene eats me alive every time I watch it. Especially when she gets back home and finds another stack of telegrams waiting for delivery.
Batzarro
AG
just watched it. Extremely upset on how Chris Kyle was killed. Excellent movie.
Corporal Punishment
AG
As a poster already mentioned, Cooper was the whole movie IMO. I've never seen a Hollywood actor nail redneck Texan so well...both his look and accent. I totally bought it.

I think there's too much flag waving for the Hollywood elitists to ever give it any awards. Cooper will get snubbed and that's kind of sad really.

Honestly, without Cooper's A+ performance this movie would've been mediocre.
BigRobSA
Oscars & Critics are Sent Unmistakable Message About What Nation Thinks About 'American Sniper'

quote:
Oscar execs and industry big shots aren't the only ones that are showering the film with praise. Americans have spoken and if they had a collective vote in the Oscars, the film would sweep. According to the annual Reuters/Ipsos Oscars poll:
quote:
If ordinary Americans voted for the Academy Awards, "American Sniper," Clint Eastwood's portrait of a sharpshooter in the Iraq war, would be the best picture winner
The film was cited by 22 percent of respondents as the movie that should win the top Oscar among the eight nominees, according to an online survey of Americans conducted Jan. 16-23.

To keep things in perspective, the film in second place on that poll is Selmaat 8%.
Aggie Infantry
AG
Brought up memories for me.

BTW... the sandstorm was accurate.
The Debt
quote:
just watched it. Extremely upset on how Chris Kyle was killed. Excellent movie.

I remember I35 that day.

It's crazy how one man can touch so many lives. He died young and saved hundreds of lives. He did so much good in such a short time. His funeral was a somber moment for so many and reminded me of the death of a potus, like Reagan or jfk.
Kashchei
AG
Just got back. The ending was wrenching. The whole theater filed out in silence. I feel how I felt after watching Saving Private Ryan. Cooper should win the Oscar, it's just a shame he won't.
CentralTXag
AG
Watched it last Friday. Was surprised at the full theater after opening weekend. Was really amazed at the job (transformation?) that Bradley Cooper did. As was mentioned earlier, I think both he and Sienna were great. When it was over, our theater also filed out very quiet and somberly.

I thought it was a very good movie and made me proud to be an American and of the job our service men and women do. Ironically, idiots like Michael Moore just made me want to see it more.
Objective Aggie
AG
Time interview

Conan interview

Article on accuracy of movie

I have been researching a bit on how accurate the movie was. It seemed to be Hollywooded up a bit. Which is unfortunate. The story was pretty amazing on its own.

Chris Kyle was far from perfect. He is getting sued by Jesse Ventura. But we really don't get to choose perfect people to defend our freedom, and I am eternally grateful for Chris Kyle and others who serve,

The subject matter was compelling. Bradley Cooper was superb. Some of the actions scenes are incredibly intense. Just like Kyle, this is one you are grateful for, flaws and all.
Kashchei
AG
quote:
Just like Kyle, this is one you are grateful for, flaws and all.

Well said.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Saw it last night. As a movie and nothing else, it was pretty average. I'll echo what everyone else said and that is that Bradley Cooper did a fantastic job. If it weren't for his performance, the movie would be a 5 out of 10 for me. Some of the action scenes were blah. The storytelling wasn't anything new and there's nothing really else to say about the fake baby. Cooper and Sienna Miller were great. Internalizing the antagonism was a nice touch. But overall, I wasn't impressed. Again, this is assessing it as movie and nothing else.

Clint Eastwood hasn't made a great movie in 10 years. A couple of good ones, yeah. But nothing great. He has really plateaued as a director.
Aggie63
AG
I would encourage you all to read Chris Kyle's book. That way, you get it straight from him. Not enhanced for Hollywood, just straight from his own words. What better source is there than from his own words? Don't let movie be your sole source .

I read the book about two weeks before he was murdered.

From my recall of it, I think the movie did a pretty darned good job of reporting what he wrote.

A great and humble warrior, doing his job. Made this veteran proud.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Forgive my ignorance, but is his book an autobiography? The average movie aside, I would definitely be interested in reading his story in his own words.
Objective Aggie
AG
quote:
Forgive my ignorance, but is his book an autobiography? The average movie aside, I would definitely be interested in reading his story in his own words.
yes
boy09
AG
quote:
Saw it last night. As a movie and nothing else, it was pretty average. I'll echo what everyone else said and that is that Bradley Cooper did a fantastic job. If it weren't for his performance, the movie would be a 5 out of 10 for me. Some of the action scenes were blah. The storytelling wasn't anything new and there's nothing really else to say about the fake baby. Cooper and Sienna Miller were great. Internalizing the antagonism was a nice touch. But overall, I wasn't impressed. Again, this is assessing it as movie and nothing else.

Just got out of the theater. This sums up my thoughts pretty well. Also, the rival sniper/parkour master was really lame.
TXAG 05
AG
Seeing it tonight, does anyone reccommend seeing it in IMAX over standard?
The Debt
quote:
Seeing it tonight, does anyone reccommend seeing it in IMAX over standard?

I wouldn't say the action is the driver of this movie, it's a character piece. So I'd personally save the money and see it standard. That being said I would like to see the sandstorm scene in imax
TXAG 05
AG
Thanks, thats what I figured.
imjustsayin
AG
Can someone tell me if the antagonist who used the drill was caught or not in real life? I'm still reeling from that.
Citizen Reign
good acting job but American Sniper was a let down.
dreyOO
Intense and powerful. Cooper was nails.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just watched it. Not bad, but not all that great or memorable either. Doesn't live up to the hype.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
quote:
Can someone tell me if the antagonist who used the drill was caught or not in real life? I'm still reeling from that.

The Butcher and the things used in the movie were not real. Chris Kyle never encountered anyone called the Butcher. There may have some inspiration from a real person in Iraq at the time, but that didn't happen.
Jim01
AG
Saw is Saturday night and really enjoyed it. I think it deserves it's nominations but should not win anything.

It is hard to separate the pride in watching from the movie itself (which definitely had flaws).

I wonder how the brother feels about the movie. He kind of came off like a little b-I--t-c-h. I felt bad for him.
BennyBlancoFromTheBright
AG
quote:
Doesn't live up to the hype.
Can't remember the last time I went to a movie because of "the hype."
If a movie looks like something that will be entertaining or story/style that I'm interested in, then I make the call on theater or wait for rental. Previews wet my appetite and written reviews let me know more if I'm unsure of material, plot, crew, etc.
But then again, I'm not one to be first in line at midnight showings of summer superhero or alien blockbusters.
I really enjoyed this movie.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
What point are you trying to make with this post?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.