I'm hooked on these dumb Dresden books.

11,826 Views | 88 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by joemeister
PPAag06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just started reading Changes today. Figured I would have to wait past the first sentence for a change but BOOM...craziness already. I can already tell I will finish this one in no time. Been waiting for this book for a couple months now b/c of this thread.
G.I.Bro
quote:
Never really liked side jobs . Dresden makes the series so a book without him is missing a crucial component.
I just finished Side Jobs and there was only one story that happens after Changes.

Love this series.
PPAag06
AG
I skipped Side Jobs but might pick it up soon. I'm currently dragging through Ghost Story. It feels like this book was written by a different author....just a terrible read towards the end of an incredible series.
LawAg05
AG
Winter knight is phenomenal.
Karrde
AG
The only bad thing about the Dresden files is waiting for the next book each year.

But at least they do come out every year, unlike some other series....
MW03
AG
LOL. I made the OP in January and am currently trying (in vain) to take my time with the last book, since I know there are no more in the hopper for a while. Screw you guys indeed.
Madmarttigan
AG
Finishing dresden files made me not feel like reading anything else for about 2 months. It was a hells bells depression.
thaed137
AG
I am reading changes currently and man it really takes on a whole new level with everything. Feels like the start to a climax for the series.
RedbeardAG
AG
They actually aren't coming out every year anymore. He is writing a new series that is more of a fantasy/steampunk series coming out soon. I think its The Cinder Spires. I'll give it a shot, but his first foray into traditional fantasy(The Codex Alera) wasn't that great.
LawAg05
AG
Yep. From Changes all the way to Winter Knight, I am hard pressed to pick a series of books I enjoyed more than Dresden Files. He really hits a stride as a writer and the plot is incredibly engrossing.
Wade_3
AG
Finished Turncoat yesterday. I enjoy the books but at least in turncoat it was pretty obvious who the villain was.

One thing that drives me crazy (and its minutia, I know) is that the author uses the word "murmur" way too much. Next time you read a Dresden Files book keep a look out for that word and you will know what I mean.
Madmarttigan
AG
Codex alera was great until the last book, it just didn't have a very good ending. I don't know what it as missing or maybe it was too over the top, but it just fell flat with me.
MW03
AG
Need a new book.
thaed137
AG
About 80% through Skin Game (15th book) and man I love this series. I have read it straight through and author does a good job of just having overlapping story lines through his books that he pulls together very well. I just really enjoy the worlds he has put together. Knights of the Cross are probably my favorite story lines and he does a great job of blending religion and magic without letting one over ride the other.

Believe the 16th book is to be done by January 1st and then 1-6 months of publishing stuff before on shelves.
zip90
AG
While we wait for the next Dresden:

Try the Joe Ledger Series!

about 12 books in the series.

action suspense with humor mixed in.

1st book is called Patient Zero.

would not replace Dresden on my priority list, but would be equal and maybe a little above MHI books.

joemeister
AG
Just finished Skin Game last night (had to turn off the game in the 3rd Q when my BAS had a flare up). I read the entire series straight through, way too many late nights after reaching the point of no return. I think read White Knight in a single day with a one hour break in the middle for lunch. The way his characters have evolved throughout the series has been great. So far, I think Mab and Michael Carpenter have been my favorite side characters (besides Bob). Mab in particular is so damn cunning. I read the first short story in the Side Jobs book last night, it's amazing to me that he was writing this stuff while a student at OU. Some people are just way too talented.

Have y'all read his other series? Codex Alera or something like that? I've never been a huge fan of high fantasy, but if the writing is as good as the Dresden Files, then I'll probably enjoy it. I believe the first book in a new steam punk series he's written is also supposed to be released this month. (Just looked it up on his site, The Aeronaut's Windlass releases Sept. 29.)

I can't wait for the next one.
Madmarttigan
AG
Alera Codex was great, but the ending, while trying to be epic, just fell a little flat to me. I think books 1-5 were great though.

I have honestly been in a massive book rut since finishing the dresden files, it makes everything else feel stale.
bearamedic99
AG
Zip, "MHI books"?
MW03
AG
quote:
Zip, "MHI books"?
Monster Hunter International
joemeister
AG
For those of you that read these books as they were being released, did the end of Changes piss you off? I had read a review that said the ending was very controversial. Having just read the series, beginning a few months ago, I knew another book was coming. But I can definitely see how shocking it could have been, especially to fans that don't spend a lot of time on message boards.

Also, I really enjoyed Ghost Story. There were some weird parts, but I think the character development of Molly in particular was really well done.

Also, in Skin Game, am I wrong in thinking that Harry shouting "Parkour!" every time he jumps over something is an homage to those youtube videos making fun of parkour?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.