I'm hooked on these dumb Dresden books.

11,820 Views | 88 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by joemeister
MW03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I can't stop with these things. It's ridiculous. I've put several books on hold just so I can get to a new one. The audio books are even worse. Marsden is fantastic. I couldn't even wait for a new credit to roll in this time and ended up running out to half priced books to get next one thanks to the way Death Masks ended.

Thanks a lot, jerks.
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
They're very entertaining. Funny, too. Has Mouse come into them yet? I love Mouse
SQXVI
AG
Mouse is pretty cool, my favorite are Michael Carpenter and Butters
MW03
AG
I'm starting Blood Rites, which is #6 I think. If it helps you place me in the series, I've just finished the book on the Shroud of Turin and met Nicodemus.
PatAg
AG
Yea, I read them all in a few weeks. Great stuff.
SeattleAgJr
quote:
I can't stop with these things. It's ridiculous. I've put several books on hold just so I can get to a new one. The audio books are even worse. Marsden is fantastic. I couldn't even wait for a new credit to roll in this time and ended up running out to half priced books to get next one thanks to the way Death Masks ended.

Thanks a lot, jerks.
James Marsters (Spike from Buffy)

Not James Marsden (Cyclops)
jlb2957
AG
Mouse makes his first appearance in Blood Rites.

Anyone I meet who reads fantasy and has not read the Dresden Files, I tell them to stop what they are doing and read Storm Front.

The great thing is that you haven't even started what I consider the stretch of books where he really hits his stride: Dead Beat, Proven Guilty, White Night, Small Favor, Turn Coat, and Changes.

Those 6 books will start to blur in your mind because most every character has been introduced, the stories are great, the writing is superb, and you really start feeling the size and scope of the world he has created and the overarching storyline. Basically, you will begin reading them too fast for your own good.
staedtler
Thanks for the rec. I just added these to my goodreads account
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
Is anybody else a fan of the Iron Druid Chronicles? I listen to them on Audible and think they are entertaining. Not as good as Dresden but fun. Oberon's running commentary on things is usually funny
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
They are how I got my urban fantasy fix between Dresden books
(removed:110205)
Love the Iron Druid books. Finished the first two in the last couple of weeks. Will pick up the Dresden ones soon.
GinaLinetti
AG
Sounds like I found my next series
SQXVI
AG
Iron druid series was terrible, dresden was one of the best series I've ever read.
jlb2957
AG
quote:
Iron druid series was terrible, dresden was one of the best series I've ever read.
And we still have 4 more followed by an epic 3 part apocalyptic trilogy! (which are supposed to be huge books)
SQXVI
AG
quote:
quote:
And we still have 4 more followed by an epic 3 part apocalyptic trilogy! (which are supposed to be huge books)

Really? I didn't know that, I thought he had 1 or two left
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
It's unfortunate how badly a SyFy bungled the tv series. It was very cheesy
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Really? I didn't know that, I thought he had 1 or two left

I had heard 22 was the number. Didn't know about the trilogy
jlb2957
AG
quote:
The noise was deafening, and no one could have heard me anyway as I let out my own battle cry, which I figured was worth a shot. What the hell. "I don't believe in faeries!"
God I love Harry Dresden...
jlb2957
AG
quote:
"I still can't believe," Michael said, sotto voce, "that you came to the Vampires' Masquerade Ball dressed as a vampire."
Seriously... I could talk about The Dresden Files all freaking night.
MidnightYell2003
AG
thanks TexAgs. Now I am hooked on the Dresden books. Just finished the first one in a couple of days.
SQXVI
AG
quote:
thanks TexAgs. Now I am hooked on the Dresden books. Just finished the first one in a couple of days.
I blew through all of them in a little over 3 weeks, they're not stop action. I've had time to think about it and they're the best book series I've ever read, bar none. I'm reading the WOT and while I'm enjoying it, I've been spoiled by the pace of the Dresden books.
tallgrant
At GenCon last year he said his intent was to write in Dresden for another "8 years". The apocalyptic trilogy will end it, but he's still building up to it.
RedbeardAG
AG
If you read the first one and are hooked just wait... The series really picks up around book 3-4 and never stops. Also the Iron Druid books are a freaking abomination.
jlb2957
AG
First line of Peace Talks was tweeted out by Jim.

Won't be posting as it is a spoiler for most people.

The great thing is that he is writing it!
Knife_Party
Just finished book number 2. Thinking I might read something else before going back to Dresden. Start WOT?
jlb2957
AG
quote:
Just finished book number 2. Thinking I might read something else before going back to Dresden. Start WOT?
Wrong. Read Grave Peril as it is an awesome book and introduces the best secondary character in the series!
SQXVI
AG
quote:
no, keep going through dresden, trust me. They'll get so much better in about 2-3 books you won't be able to put them down.
LawAg05
AG
quote:
'Nay, but prithee, with sprinkles 'pon it instead, I said solemnly, and frosting of white.'
Knife_Party
quote:
quote:
no, keep going through dresden, trust me. They'll get so much better in about 2-3 books you won't be able to put them down.

Thats what I'm worried about....
Madmarttigan
AG
Book 3 and 5 were probably the best of the first 6 that I read... but then 6 had some really cool reveals to it. On book 7 right now if I ever get time to read.....
Madmarttigan
AG
Finished book 10, and yeah these things are addicting.

I also love Nicodemus as a villain and any book Michael is in.
jlb2957
AG
I'm at Changes on my 2nd re-read/listen.

So freaking excited!
jlb2957
AG
Second read through of Changes done...

Yep. Still just as epic as the first read through. I want to see more Ebenezer going all out in the books to come.

I can't freaking wait until peace talks comes out.
thaed137
AG
Started this searies because of texags......now on death masks. Just met Michael and his other two knight buddies. Really enjoy the change of pace from an ancient setting.
jlb2957
AG
Michael is my favorite!

I have a spare copy of Storm Front that I lend out to anyone who has not read this series.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.