Binge watched "The Wire" this past week...

5,193 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by GinaLinetti
Raptor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Interesting show. Was great watching the technology used back in the early 2000s. Anyone else watch this series?
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

SeanDaAg2005
AG
Never heard of it
Raptor
AG
Oh it's great.

It's a love story about a small insulated wire in a Taiwan factory that breaks loose from his bundle in an attempt to escape to Japan. Along the way he befriends a chipped circuit board, a dongle, and the mysterious wifi antennae. He must escape the custodians, an angry mob of cleaners that use chemical warfare and robots to do their bidding. Somewhere just outside of Singapore, our little wire finds true love in the form of a 1" piece of copper. Together they are bound for adventure and excitement.
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

Waltonloads08
AG
Most overrated HBO show in history.

That being said, it's OK.
Sex Panther
AG
ORAggieFan
quote:
Most overrated HBO show in history.

That being said, it's OK.

Impossible for the greatest show of all time to be over rated.
cr0wbar
AG
did one season and gave up. Terrible
Al Bula
AG
Watched all of The Wire about 2 years ago and just finished seasons 1, 2 and 3 on the second go around.

HD makes a big difference but doesn't lose anything in going from 4:3 to 16:9.
Waltonloads08
AG
Wat? Its not even the best show from HBO.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
quote:
Wat? Its not even the best show from HBO.
Objectively false
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
staedtler
Right up there with The Sopranos
Willis
AG
I got all the way into season three and just couldn't get into it. Got busy with other stuff and never went back. I know this board loves it, but it was just meh for me.
Snot Boogie
quote:
http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t379/SexPantherTA/WIRE_zpscfcf0388.gif
The Milkman
AG
I watched the first episode last week... I was really bored. I'll probably give one more episode a chance but its not looking good
Sex Panther
AG
Surprised it's taken this long for a Snot Boogie handle

Milkman, I would encourage you to give it more than one more episode
ORAggieFan
That's like watching ten minutes of a movie and quitting.
Bunk Moreland
One episode?

Cibalo
quote:
I got all the way into season three and just couldn't get into it. Got busy with other stuff and never went back. I know this board loves it, but it was just meh for me.

+1
Worm01
AG
I watched it all the way through over the last few months, just finishing a couple weeks ago. I have stated before that it was good, and I enjoyed it, but I don't put it in the same tier as Sopranos and Breaking Bad. I would definitely give it more than one episode. You should give it to AT LEAST midway of Season One. I'd say if you're not hooked by mid-end of Season one, I wouldn't fault you for giving up on it. If you don't like Season One, you will like Season Two even less.

I could pretty easily come up with a list of 10 shows that could reasonably considered a better show than The Wire, but not many more than that.
et98
AG
I watched through the 2nd season a few years ago and just sort of quit. I guess I just didn't get it.

But over Christmas a buddy explained that it isn't really a TV show...it's a very very long movie and must be viewed with that in mind. It can't be judged until you see it all because it all weaves back in together.

I started over from scratch and just finished season 4 last night. I must say that's been an awesome ride so far on the second go around. It's the type of show that I think about when I'm not watching it. Only BB, GOT, and The Sopranos (which I binge watched for the very first time immediately before The Wire) have ever had that effect on me. I'm eager to see what season 5 has in store.
Bunk Moreland
Season 5 is that part of the movie where you start laughing at the shock value as much as you are enjoying it, then you just kinda say "well that seemed a bit out of place from the rest of it."
The Milkman
AG
The show is like looking in on an actual detectives office...which is boring. I dont need to listen to some police lingo and watch a guy fill out paperwork.
fig96
AG
I'm midway through S2 at the moment, need to pick it back up. It's definitely interesting, not near a Breaking Bad type level for me though.
Ranger222
AG
Just finished watching season 1 the other day. I'll admit, I almost stopped watching after 4 or so episodes. It is pretty slow at the beginning. Around halfway season 1, I really got into it and watched the last 5 episodes back to back. Getting ready to start season 2.

It is kinda weird tho how season 1 kind of wraps almost everything up. If the series ended there, you could walk away. Was it meant to be like that?
Bunk Moreland
Each season has its own primary story, yes.

The following seasons build on the same characters, introduce new characters, and some storylines are extended, while new season-long arcs are focused on. But yes, you could essentially take season 1 as if it were its own show.

Once you get into season 3 though, the higher arc of the series really shows its stuff.

You also view it through different lenses at times. You see the view of all levels of the police department, you see all levels of criminal life and their perspective, you see political, educational, and in season 5, the media.
mhayden
quote:
Once you get into season 3 though, the higher arc of the series really shows its stuff.

Until it ****s the bed in Season 5.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Season five isn't bad. The Wire at its worst is still better than 95 percent of shows at their best.
Duncan Idaho
The corner was better
Duncan Idaho
quote:
Season five isn't bad. The Wire at its worst is still better than 95 percent of shows at their best.

This is true
EllisCoAg
AG
quote:
this +1

binge watched it last summer, I thought it was great. some of the stories takes a while to get going, but total greatness overall. I also like how the opening theme is done in 5 distinct styles for each particular season.
mhayden
I just say it **** the bed to troll Bunk.

But it is a definite notch or two below what Seasons 1-4 did and IMO a disappointing conclusion to a great series.
Bunk Moreland
Oh I definitely am not a big fan of season 5. It was wayyyy below the rest of the series. Still watchable, still enjoyable at times...but it just reeked of too much David Simon bleeding through the writing and direction of that season. It almost played as his personal vendetta.
NColoradoAG
Sheeeeiiiiiiiittttt
ORAggieFan
quote:
The corner was better

No it wasn't. It is interesting though.
jock1020
AG
When I hear people say that they don't like The Wire, I'm nervous to hear what shows they do like. That typically tells you what you need to know. Likely alot of ABC and CBS dramas.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.