Predestination-Ethan Hawke

6,638 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by HeardAboutPerio
Saxsoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Ethan Hawke likes to choose some seriously off beat films.

This is one of the best time travel films I have ever seen. Ethan Hawke plays the straight man while Sarah Snooke plays an incredible role(s). If you love Back to the Future, or just any time travel film, watch this. It is guaranteed to mind **** you
MrPlow2010
AG
Saw this movie a week or so before Christmas and I will agree that this movie is a mind ****. Its definitely a movie that will leave you thinking about it hours after you see it. The girl in it was really good and the time travel scenes were cool. Some parts in this movie are still really weird and different.
Bodie Broadus
Enjoyed it.
cablinaggie
AG
Saw this a couple of nights ago on Prime, really enjoyed it. You think it's going to be like Minority Report, but it's much more interesting and thought provoking. Ending is like a punch in the face.
Btron
AG
Saw the preview for this a while back. I freaking love time travel movies. And being mind ****ed because of them. So yeah I'll check this out.
Stoli7
Just finished it. Great movie

But WTF did I just watch?!
Sex Panther
AG
Btron
AG
Caught the movie this weekend.
Really enjoyed most of the movie.

Spoilers

The middle section when Jane was going through her transformation got a little weird and a little bit of where is this going.
I did predict that Jane in the beginning would be the same baby that was kidnapped in the middle. But I did not see that Ethan/Hawke was a transformed Jane/John.
This is a very good cyclical time travel movie. It makes you say wtf, and try to second guess it, but in the end, what happens happens, and will also happen. You can't change time, snake eating it's tale, chicken egg.
I can't find any loop holes, and I can't see it doesn't work out. Everything was well done.

End of spoilers.

Saxsoon
AG
Yeah, that part really blew my mind.

It literally is the Oroboros (snake eating its own tail)
NC2001
AG
Wife just rented this movie from RedBox. Wow...just...wow...
jr15aggie
AG
Awesome! I really like Ethan Hawk for some reason and I tend to really like his movies. I had seen this one out there but hadn't seen it yet. It goes to the top of my list now. I'm super pumped that I know next to nothing about it... love going into movies having not seen a trailer or anything.
Dro07
AG
Effin mind ****. I thought the ending was gonna be like looper when one killed themselves instead of killing the older one.

Obvious wholes in it but pretty good though
reb,
AG
i didn't think id find the fact he boned himself so disturbing but i did.

pretty good, effed up movie.
Dro07
AG
So now we know why she had both sexes... Imbred
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
So now we know why she had both sexes... Imbred
You would think there would be some SERIOUS genetic degradation through each successive loop. That is really my only gripe with the film.
JonLobb
I think this movie had one of the best 3rd acts of any movie I've ever seen. Certainly top 10.

It was a little slow to start up, but as soon as they drive home that this world is NOT our world, and that there are things outside of what we see that are dramatically different (time travel aside) the movie just takes off.

I'm talking about when they start dropping asides about how common place spaceflight is btw
aTmLoKi
AG
I just finished watching this movie and really enjoyed it. The bar scene at the beginning was slow, which I just chalked up to the hope of having a big payoff...and I was not disappointed. This movie was well done!
Raptor
AG
WatDfuq?

Is this how "Adam and Eve" started? Is the snake Robertson and the punchline is that we are all each other?
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

FTACof2011
AG
********Spoilers below *********

I rented the movie based on this thread and while it was good, I thought the fact that Ethan Hawke, Jane, and John were the same person became pretty obvious a little over halfway through the movie which made the ending pretty meh since I had been watching the rest of the movie through that framework and I assumed the director expected us to have known that going into the ending. So I was still waiting for the big twist at the end and was disappointed that the big payoff was Ethan Hawke standing up to show you his scars with dramatic music playing.

Still an interesting movie though.

*********** End spoilers***************
Saxsoon
AG
I saw Jane and John being the same, as that was pretty obvious. But to have Ethan Hawke be EVERY Principle character in the film (minus the manager), the Fizzle Bomber, Himself, John, Jane, the baby, to be a pretty big twist.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Awesome! I really like Ethan Hawk for some reason and I tend to really like his movies. I had seen this one out there but hadn't seen it yet. It goes to the top of my list now. I'm super pumped that I know next to nothing about it... love going into movies having not seen a trailer or anything.

I finally saw it... Only issue was I had seen enough "mind blown" comments in this thread to sorta figure it out about halfway. Sorta sucks because, based on my comments above was gonna see it anyway because of Ethan Hawk and this thread sorta spoiled it... But I still knew very little about it going in and I enjoyed the whole thing.

Spoiler:
I really liked the part where old guy was saying the current chick was no good, how she wouldn't understand when he started telling her the truth. In the end he shot him anyway and the cycle continued. You can try and sit down and see how the whole thing makes no sense, but thus is the definition of paradox. Good flick!
jr15aggie
AG
Lol.... I just thought of one of the first lines in the movie... "even my own mother wouldn't recognize me". Wow!
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
Lol.... I just thought of one of the first lines in the movie... "even my own mother wouldn't recognize me". Wow!
MASSIVE SPOILER

I.E. he doesn't even recognize himself
AggieRebel
AG
Another line that gave it away was when John called Ethan Hawk a son of a *****, and he laughed and said that was funny. I was also expecting Hawk to turn the gun on himself at the end to stop the cycle. Pretty entertaining flick though.
JD Shellnut
AG
I understand the facial reconstruction, but Ethan hawk is several inches taller than john/jane.
Saxsoon
AG
Probably an inconsistency in that regard, I will give you that. Going to be hard to find a male and female actor (that you want to play the parts) and have them be the same height.
captkirk
AG
I enjoyed the movie but saw the ending coming. There were many clues along the way.
jr15aggie
AG
To me it didn't matter when you figured it all out, it was still a mind trip when you did. I tried explaining the movie to my wife (she would never watch it). Lol, almost impossible to explain the plot and have it make any sense.

I was also thinking how easy this film was to shoot. There were very few sets and locations compared to most modern movies. They very much relied on two very good actors to sit around and carry the story.
G.I.Bro
quote:
Not to mention "I'm my own grandpa" playing at the bar
Saxsoon
AG
Was actually glad I didn't rent or buy this movie physical. The back of the cover literally says that he is trying to recruit his younger self.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
quote:
********Spoilers below *********

I rented the movie based on this thread and while it was good, I thought the fact that Ethan Hawke, Jane, and John were the same person became pretty obvious a little over halfway through the movie which made the ending pretty meh since I had been watching the rest of the movie through that framework and I assumed the director expected us to have known that going into the ending. So I was still waiting for the big twist at the end and was disappointed that the big payoff was Ethan Hawke standing up to show you his scars with dramatic music playing.

Still an interesting movie though.

*********** End spoilers***************
Just watched it and this is exactly how I felt. Tackles the issues with time travel in movies, well; however, it became too obvious that Ethan was everyone, including the fizzle bomber after taking Jane/John back to see his/herself, especially when you remember the face burning scene at the beginning. Kinda ruined the big twist at the end when you already know what's coming. Definitely interesting, nevertheless.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DonaldFDraper
AG
Finally watched it. I liked it. Very interesting, well done twist on the normal time travel type movies.

I agree on the pace and quality of the third act.
HeardAboutPerio
AG
*****spoiler*****

I liked it a lot. Watched it last night after seeing this OP. Love the chicken or egg reference. I'm saying the chicken came first in this case and no hen has ever been the rooster....

*****spoiler******

I'd recommend it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.