**** Books Read in 2015 ****

28,179 Views | 213 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Hudson2508
Prime0882
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
New Year, New Thread. Now with asterisks!

Post removed:
by user
jlb2957
AG
Oh... thank god this one has asterisks... I can't believe we went a whole year without anyone complaining to the mods to add them, lol.

I'm doing the audio book thing and should have Blood Rites (Dresden Files) coming soon.
HalifaxAg
AG
Winds of Winter!!!
bushytailed
AG
Just started A Feast for Crows.
TampaBayAg08
AG
Currently reading Devil in the White City. Loving the HH Holmes portion... but the portions of the architecture for the Chicago World Fair is kind of a snooze. But who doesn't love a good (and true) serial killer story!?
Brenner
AG
Just started The Passage by Cronin on audiobook, and I hate the narrator. He tries his hardest to make everything sound epically somber. A big contrast after just finishing Ready Player One.

P.S. Ready Player One was the tits.
hurleyag
AG
quote:
I finished it yesterday, granted most of it was read in 2014.

Now I need to start A Dance with Dragons.
Old Jock 1997
AG
I'm glad to see this thread being renewed and thriving each year. I think I started the original many years ago...my lasting (and only) contribution to TexAgs lore!

I just finished Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King. I haven't read much King, and I'm not sure I'll read much more. He is really one twisted, perverted piece of work.

I just started American Sniper by Chris Kyle. I've read a number of books from the genre; this one has been on my shelf for awhile and I would like to finish it before seeing the movie. So far, so good.

I've got The Passage on iBooks, but I haven't started it yet. Everything I've read about it is that it's a fantastic read.

Happy New Year!
JonLobb
I'm hoping for new Ted Bell and Clive Cussler novels this year
bagger05
AG
Just started Moby Dick.
Tanya 93
Among the Dead and Dying by A.R. Wise-- it was okay. I give it a B-
Ag_N_Houston
AG
Currently reading The Pact.
H6RBW
AG
Just finished Dead Mountain: The Untold True Story of the Dyatlov Pass Incident by Donnie Eichar. I'm interested in the historical event, and the book shed a little new light on it. But I can't honestly say I recommend the book.
aggiesq
AG
working on Back to Blood - Tom Wolfe. his character development is unique
Rocag
AG
Read "Off To Be the Wizard" and "Spell or High Water", two books in the Magic 2.0 series by Scott Meyer. Despite the names, there's no real magic in the books. The premise is that the world and everything and everyone in it is just part of a computer simulation. The protagonist figures this out and starts to change things. The books are pretty short and I enjoyed them both. Solid B's for them.
MW03
AG
quote:
Currently reading Devil in the White City. Loving the HH Holmes portion... but the portions of the architecture for the Chicago World Fair is kind of a snooze. But who doesn't love a good (and true) serial killer story!?

Love that book.

Just finished Dresden #4 (Summer Knight). Pretty good, but it as good as #3 (Grave Peril). Probably a B- or so.
Quinn
AG
I read 10:04 by Ben Lerner this week. Very meta book that blurred the lines between the authors real life and reality. The novel takes place in NYC in the year between Hurricane Irene and Hurricane Sandy. I lived in NYC during this time and really enjoyed the way Lerner described the city.
AgDC
Just finished "Lirael" which is the second book and "Abhorsen" which is the third (and final) book of the Old Kingdom series by Garth Nix: http://oldkingdom.com.au/. Pretty good young adult fantasy series with an interesting approach to magic and Life/Death. There's a prequel I'll probably tackle at some point.
Baskin
AG
Battle Royale. I had seen the movie years ago, and ran across the book randomly. Couldn't put it down once I started.
jlb2957
AG
1. Blood Rites (Dresden Files Audiobook) - Jim Butcher.
Been listening through the series as my second read through. Loving them just as much as I did the first time and not remembering every little detail still makes it exciting.
jock1020
AG
quote:
quote:
I finished it yesterday, granted most of it was read in 2014.

Now I need to start A Dance with Dragons.

Read both last year. Feast of Crows was decent but by far the slowest/weakest in the series. Dance with Dragons picks things up and really sets the stage for the next book.

Which makes it all the more painful that there is no clue in site as to when the new book will be released.
Hudson2508
AG
1. Fool Moon - Jim Butcher A
2. Grave Peril - Jim Butcher B+
3. Summer Knight - Jim Butcher B
4. Death Masks - Jim Butcher B

Started off the year with a nice vacation and knocked books 2-5 of the Dresden Files out. Solid series so far, definitely a page turner with very little fluff. I love the main character and the books make me laugh frequently. I've read that the books improve as the series goes along so I'm excited to keep reading.
helgs
AG
quote:

I'm sorry. Definitely the weakest of the 5.

helgs
AG
Finished so far:

1) A Feast for Crows (Yawn...)

Reading:
2) The Billionaire and the Mechanic
3) A Dance with Dragons
jlb2957
AG
quote:
1. Fool Moon - Jim Butcher A
2. Grave Peril - Jim Butcher B+
3. Summer Knight - Jim Butcher B
4. Death Masks - Jim Butcher B

Started off the year with a nice vacation and knocked books 2-5 of the Dresden Files out. Solid series so far, definitely a page turner with very little fluff. I love the main character and the books make me laugh frequently. I've read that the books improve as the series goes along so I'm excited to keep reading.
I am on Dead Beat right now... probably my 3rd or 4th favorite of the series and loving my second go through.
AgPediRPh
AG
The Burning Room - Michael Connelly C-

I was unimpressed. It wasn't nearly as good as the other ones in the Harry Bosch series. I did like the last 5 pages, but it couldn't make up for the rest of the novel.
CapCityAg89
AG
quote:

Loved this book and especially the architecture stuff. Of course I'm a wannabe architect who made a poor career decision back in Aggieland.

Isaacs Storm was even better by the way.
AgDC
1 & 2) "Lirael" which is the second and"Abhorsen" which is the third (and final) book of the Old Kingdom
series by Garth Nix: http://oldkingdom.com.au/.Pretty good young adult fantasy series with an interesting approach to magic and Life/Death. There's a prequel I'll probably tackle at some point.
3 & 4) Finished up the 1stPercy Jackson series reading books 4 and 5.
Aggie94
AG
Station Eleven

Post-apocalyptic tale that follows members of an acting troupe/symphony who put on performances of Shakespeare intercut with what led them to that point. Flu strain wiped out 99% of the population. Engaging read, though not quite "McCarthyesque" which one of the back cover blurbs suggested.

Reading The Bully of Order now.
jeffk
AG
Just finished "The Martian" by Andy Weir . B+ Excellent sci-fi read. Kind of a new Apollo 13 story. Very well written and fun.
Post removed:
by user
Kashchei
AG
My New Year's resolution is to read more this year (at least a book a month). Started off strong by finishing off a tome: "Five Families: The Rise, Decline, and Resurgence of America's Most Powerful Mafia Empires" by Selwyn Raab.

I bought it after seeing an engrossing Mafia documentary on NatGeo a few weeks back. I wanted to learn more. The author is one of the foremost historians on the mob.

A solid (and relatively quick) history read: A
Ashley96
AG
I just finished "Andersonville" by MacKinlay Kantor. It was a lengthy, rather depressing, but engaging read.

I plan to crack open "A Death in the Family" by James Agee tonight before I go to bed.
JJxvi
AG
Deadhouse Gates. Excellent

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.