Saw "Into the Woods"..........

2,061 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by 91_Aggie
FAST FRED
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
........at the request of my sweet wife and I enjoyed it much more than I expected.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2180411/

I'll not be surprised at Oscar nominations for Best Picture or Best Director and for actresses Meryl Streep, Emily Blunt or Anna Kendrick.

And there might be some Oscar wins in categories such as Production Design, Costumes and Hair Dressing, Film Editing, Best Song or Visual Effects.

Plus perhaps some appreciation for a clever screenplay which successfully interconnected and then resolved a combination of Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, Jack and the Beanstalk and Rapunzel.

I believe the Brothers Grimm might have approved of this musical fantasy.

They certainly would have appreciated the renewed recognition and any royalties.

Good acting and fine singing supported by a humorous/poignant script and lively/expressive music with modern lyrics.

I thought the first 2/3s of this was better with the final 1/3 becoming a bit less interesting, until the script somewhat rallys at the end.

IMHO, there was a lot to appreciate here and I'm personally ranking this flick somewhere behind the screen version of "Les Miserables," but ahead of such musical movies as "Chicago" and "Moulin Rouge."

JMO.

Suitable and recommended, IMO, for imaginative movie goers ranging from about sixth grade age to adult.

Any thoughts?

Gig 'em, FAST FRED, '65.

Before the world wide web, village idiots usually stayed in their own village.
CMP-00-
AG
Went (under duress) with in-laws and kids ranging from first grade to seventh. I too was pleasantly surprised and I don't generally enjoy musicals. The acting was generally strong and the music was good. Everyone in our party had a fun time. While there was nothing overtly inappropriate for even young children, i was surprised at the "maturity" of themes in this (PG) movie to those in a whole litany of PG-13 movies to which I've been taking my boys since they were about 4 years old (superhero movies,etc.)
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Proudest Grasshopper
S
I too went to see this, under duress, with the wife and ended up actually enjoying it. I usually despise musicals because I can't take them seriously. I loved that this didn't take itself too seriously and even seemed to be poking fun at the genre.

The "agony" song by the two princes had me laughing out loud.
Icecream_Ag
S
this was marked on our calender from the time it was announced, so of course we were there Christmas Day.

My late great uncle was a director for the Pensacola theater and one of the productions he did was "Into the Woods".

All in all I really enjoyed the movie. I agree with Fred on the last 1/3 kinda dragging on, but overall it was a very enjoyable movie.
G.I.Bro
I thought it was terrible, not for the acting or musical nature, but I felt like it tried to make too many points, and didn't flesh any themes out. I haven't seen the play, but I assume it is meant for adults. I feel like the movie makers tried too hard to gear it toward kids with too many themes for them. Cheat on your husband? You die. It is ok to wish for a better life, but nothing too good, just something in between. Don't go for the prince, just be happy living with a single dad. You feel guilty killing someone? I'll just sing a song about you not being alone, then we will go kill the giant. Didn't like this movie at all. Fwiw, I'm not a father.
Wrec86 Ag
Deagged by my wife as well. a solid 5/10 Seemed all over the place to me and a little long

"Into the woods" has been stuck in my head for 3 hours now.
mike07civil
AG
I thought it was pretty good, just 30minutes to long.
tinman
AG
Didn't enjoy it at all. As mentioned above so many points trying to be made. Just to much going on for my taste. It dragged on forever and the guy two rows down that was snoring probably felt the same way.
aggiepaintrain
AG
The only thing good was being able to take one of my daughters to the movies.

I even googled "how long is into the woods"
Answer ... Too fcking long.

Leave your man card at home for this one.
dfphotos
Not a good movie. Not terrible.
75AG
AG
I'm pretty sure that TexAgs readers are not the demographics the producers intended.
AggieIce
AG
Big Bad Wolf was a pedophile

Prince Charming was a rapist

As soon as any plot was established they blasted back into another stupid song

Some funny parts, but the only really funny scene was the "agony" song, which was perfectly ironic.

Wait until it is on HBO, and then don't watch it
SteadicaTm
AG
Lame.
Again I am glad I did not have to pay or go to a theatre to see this.
West Point Aggie
AG
quote:
I'm pretty sure that TexAgs readers are not the demographics the producers intended.

Sooooooo true!!
Tanya 93
I played Cinderella in a version so long ago. I really love the musical. It is fun.

But I haven't seen the movie yet.
Macarthur
quote:
Didn't enjoy it at all. As mentioned above so many points trying to be made. Just to much going on for my taste. It dragged on forever and the guy two rows down that was snoring probably felt the same way.
Agree. Did not like it at all. I fell asleep too.
LoneStarFree
quote:
Big Bad Wolf was a pedophile

Prince Charming was a rapist

As soon as any plot was established they blasted back into another stupid song

Some funny parts, but the only really funny scene was the "agony" song, which was perfectly ironic.

Wait until it is on HBO, and then don't watch it
Saxsoon
AG
I really liked it personally. The castings were great and the music was pretty awesome. Corden was fantastic as a bumbling idiot and Emily Blunt was fun to watch.
91_Aggie
AG
This movie was terrible.

I'm not sure how anyone could have enjoyed it unless they just really like Steven Sondheim.

The Intro just went on forever with the constantly repeated Into the Woods.

There is not a single song that sticks my in head. and every song sounded the same.

And, yes, that was very pedo-creepy with Johnny Depp.

And charming was very rapey.

I still have no idea if there was any moral/theme/message... it just jumped all over the place... maybe the only one was, if you are married woman, don't cheat or you'll fall off a cliff.

Like others, the only part that was close to entertaining was the Agony duet, but I can't remember a single line from that song.

Visual effects were horrible... seems like they went through great lengths to hide most of the really fantastic parts (Jack visiting the giants for one).

Never had any feelings for any of the characters except apathy. did anyone really care about Cinderella and her living happily ever? How many were rooting for them to give Jack to giants? (I was)

What was the reasoning for the Baker's wife to suddenly have an affair? Nothing throughout the movie ever gave an inkling that she was not content with her life with her baker husband.

It just seemed incredibly pointless, and worse, unlike pop music of today which thrives on being pointless, the music wasn't good or catchy.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.