Seeing a movie: digital vs. 35mm

528 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by TravelAg2004
htownag08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Excuse me if this is a dumb question, but I've never really understood the difference in the two. Is there a noticeable difference or is there some stylistically about the two that is different? I tried to look it up, but it's a little confusing to me. I looked at the 'Death of Cinema' QT thread from awhile back, but that derailed quickly.

Basically, I saw that an Alamo Drafthouse in Austin is showing this in 2d digital or 35mm. Just wasn't sure if one was better or what each really means. Any info/general knowledge would be great as I got curious about the differences in the two.
Jack Ruby
Saxsoon
AG
I think digital and 70mm is the only time you really notice a difference. I think 35mm has caught up with digital but I may be wrong. TCTTS or steadicatm would probably be better to answer.
TravelAg2004
AG
Personally, I think it's a lot like the argument between analog and digital music. There are folks who think digital will never be as good and those that think digital has surpassed analog.

Even with 4K video, film still has a higher resolution than digital because film isn't limited to pixels like digital is. But I'm pretty sure the average film goer wouldn't be able to tell much of a difference, and if they could, they would probably pick the digital because of how much content is digital now.

If you want to watch a pretty cool documentary about the differences, check out Side By Side (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2014338/).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.