Best edition of film with extra commentary

1,695 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by dvldog
wesag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This will be certainly predicated on personal preference, but what movies have you purchased or seen with extra commentary where you felt it was well worth it? I don't download movies in general. If there is a movie I think is important, I'll just buy a DVD or blue ray.

I would also say that there are some movies where you can watch "Making of __" on Youtube that are rewarding. Examples would be Mad Max, Bladerunner and Jaws.

As far as ones I've seen recently, Fast Times at Ridgemont High has excellent commentary through the whole movie by Cameron Crow and Amy Heckerling. I think I bought it in a pack at a gas station with Animal House or Pretty in Pink or something, but the other movie had no useful material. The Fast Times commentary goes through the entire casting process and even discusses the sound track. Apparently it wasn't the soundtrack they wanted, but damn if I don't like it.

TajMaballer
AG
Tropic Thunder commentary is phenomenal with Ben Stiller, Jack Black, and Robert Downey Jr.

RDJ stays in character the entire time, until his character changes, then he changes. It's hilarious!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
LOTR Extended trilogy. Each movie has tracks by both the cast and the production team. Both are fantastic.
bangobango
AG
LOTR is great.

Best ever, though, is Apocalypse Soon: The Making of Citizen Toxie

Lloyd Kaufman does a whole series of books on making low budget movies that are pretty awesome, too.
TexAgBolter
AG
Roger Ebert's commentaries on Casablanca and Citizen Kane are great.
wesag
AG
quote:
LOTR Extended trilogy. Each movie has tracks by both the cast and the production team. Both are fantastic.

That is sitting under my Christmas tree.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
In the special edition of Big Trouble in Little China, John Carpenter and Kurt Russell do the commentary about 25 years after the movie came out. Russell has a hard time remembering some of the actors' names, but it's still awesome.

Wedding Crashers - Vaughn and Wilson do the whole thing themselves and it's hilarious.

Dodgeball - there is a real version, and then there's a version where Stiller & Vaughn act like two D'bags the whole way through.

GiveEmHellBill
AG
This is Spinal Tap: Christopher Guest, Harry Shearer and Michael McKean give a commentary track as the members of Spinal Tap, who are upset at how they are made to look in the film.

The State: The Complete Series: I've watched these DVD's with the cast's commentary about as many times as without. Interesting and hilarious.
Bottlehead90
AG
The documentary "the battle for citizen kane" is almost a better story than the movie. Fascinating story of why orson wells and the movie got blackballed for about two decades.
PatAg
AG
Not a movie, but Scrubs has the best commentary I have ever heard. Funny and informative.
The Debt
I have heard spinal taps commentary is hilarious. "He's dead"
Jacques
quote:
I have heard spinal taps commentary is hilarious. "He's dead"
Yeah, that was my favorite part.

Guest and Levy are pretty good on the Guffman commentary track.

I like the back to the future commentary tracks. Lots of good stuff. it sheds a lot of light on the movie making process.

One of the worst I've heard was blazing saddles. I think mel brooks just got tired and gave up halfway through.
dvldog
AG
Ocean's 11 was good. Had Brad Pitt, Andy Garcia and Matt Damon. You could tell they had a blast making the movie.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.