Original Star Wars Trilogy (unedited) to be released on Blueray

4,057 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by wesag
The Debt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yay!!!!

http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/08/16/exclusive-original-unaltered-cut-of-star-wars-trilogy-to-be-rele/
wesag
AG
I ain't believing it until I see it.

But if so, wow!
Carlo4
AG
Lucas is going to be mad....
bbattbq01
AG
Old article... I'm in the believe if when I see it camp.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
They don't really look very good these days, the first one especially. Sure, Han shoots first, but you also have a really crappy lightsaber and a very cheap looking Death Star explosion, among other things.
The Debt
quote:
They don't really look very good these days, the first one especially. Sure, Han shoots first, but you also have a really crappy lightsaber and a very cheap looking Death Star explosion, among other things.

I just hate watching the original king Kong too. It looks terrible. CG ape or GTFO!
bagger05
AG
I'll believe it when I see it.

I will also buy it when I see it.
Duncan Idaho
There were some improvements made in the special editions.

The biggest one being the fixing of the bleed through issues when they overlaid some of the frames like the boxes around the tie fighters and I did like they way they made bespin fell more open and bright.

The "improved" death star explosion was horrible. The Jabba screen was hirrible. Han sitting second was horrible.

All in all, the orginal versions were better films.

Also, is star wars going to be titled "star wars" or "episode iv a new hope"?
Ronnie Gardocki
I still own my original vhs copy of the first Star Wars movie and prefer my edited blu-ray version all day every day. I'm probably one of the few olds who actually didn't mind the editing that was done to the movies.
jr15aggie
AG
I'm all for them doing some technical fixes to lightsabers and hiding some of the technical issues with some of the space flight scenes. I'm even OK with the added effects in the back-ground to make things more alive.

What I'm not OK with... added scenes like Jabba in A New Hope..... and for the love of everything, what the heck is going on in that music number added to Jabba's Palace in Jedi.... what the hell is that George!!!!!!

In short, I wonder if Disney is smart enough to give us the original trilogy, but keep some of the nice clean up efforts Lucasarts did.
MGS
quote:
The "improved" death star explosion was horrible.

Of all the changes, that was annoyed me the most. That "ring" from the explosion just doesn't make any sense.
sayas2005
AG
I bought a DVD set at some point that had the original, completely unedited versions as the B side special feature.

I have yet to watch any of the edited new versions in their entirety, and I never will.
TCTTS
AG
Not a single other reputable outlet has picked up on this news. I've said it before and I'll say it again... never ever listen to comicbook.com. Don't even visit that site. They're notorious for making sh*t up.
TCTTS
AG
Also, look at the date on the article. It was posted four months ago.
wesag
AG
quote:
Not a single other reputable outlet has picked up on this news. I've said it before and I'll say it again... never ever listen to comicbook.com. Don't even visit that site. They're notorious for making sh*t up.

I don't even think the Library of Congress has a copy.
PooDoo
AG
It's probably a good bet that it will happen eventually. You know Disney will do everything it can to squeeze every nickel out of that franchise.
MGS
Except I don't think they have the rights to all three of the original films.
twilly
AG
Yub nub!
wesag
AG
quote:
Yub nub!

I laughed.
CapCityAg89
AG
quote:
In short, I wonder if Disney is smart enough to give us the original trilogy, but keep some of the nice clean up efforts Lucasarts did.

This times a gazzillion.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Somehow, I'm betting Lucas had a clause in his sale to Disney that would never allow for them to release the original versions in any form.

Ever.
TCTTS
AG
One thing a lot of people aren't aware of is that 20th Century Fox still owns the original Star Wars outright. As long as they exist as a company, they'll own the rights to that one movie. Disney owns Episodes I-III, V and VI, along with everything else under the Star Wars umbrella, save for the original movie. Sure, Fox can license it out when and if Disney wants to rerelease the first six movies - in whatever format - but that's still a fairly big hurdle.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
quote:
The "improved" death star explosion was horrible.

Of all the changes, that was annoyed me the most. That "ring" from the explosion just doesn't make any sense.
Neither does sound in space, but it looks cool.
dave94
AG
quote:
Also, look at the date on the article. It was posted four months ago.
This blew up on my Facebook today, I hope that means something is happening.
Quinn
AG
quote:
One thing a lot of people aren't aware of is that 20th Century Fox still owns the original Star Wars outright. As long as they exist as a company, they'll own the rights to that one movie. Disney owns Episodes I-III, V and VI, along with everything else under the Star Wars umbrella, save for the original movie. Sure, Fox can license it out when and if Disney wants to rerelease the first six movies - in whatever format - but that's still a fairly big hurdle.
That seems kind of odd - why did they just retain that one movie rather than the entire original trilogy?
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
One thing a lot of people aren't aware of is that 20th Century Fox still owns the original Star Wars outright. As long as they exist as a company, they'll own the rights to that one movie.

Why am I getting a "Never Say Never Again" vibe from that bit of info?
TCTTS
AG
Here's the original debunking of the article from Badass Digest back in August...

http://badassdigest.com/2014/08/16/why-i-doubt-disney-is-releasing-the-unaltered-star-wars-ot-on-blu/

... and I had my info wrong slightly. Fox STILL owns the rights to the prequels, along with Empire and Jedi. Disney doesn't get the rights to those until 2020, save for Star Wars, which, again, Fox will own forever.

Seems like 2020 will be when Disney is finally able to release a huge, giant box set with Episodes 1-9, if they can license the original from Fox. Until then, we probably won't see any of these movies re-rleased in any way.
COOL LASER FALCON
I'm sure they'll wait until they don't have any more movies scheduled and then go for it. Pretty nice to be sitting on a guaranteed pay day like that.

On the other hand I'm sure Fox knows they can name their price for the license.
The Debt
Top of new page
GreasenUSA
AG
Bottom of old page
PooDoo
AG
Is Fox waiting on some new form of copy protection to be invented before they put it out there?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just out of curiosity, who owns the characters/likenesses, etc? In other words, who's gonna be putting out the toys, Fox or Disney? Or will they be splitting revenue?
Duncan Idaho
Wrong quote
wesag
AG
quote:
Is Fox waiting on some new form of copy protection to be invented before they put it out there?
Duncan Idaho
quote:
Just out of curiosity, who owns the characters/likenesses, etc? In other words, who's gonna be putting out the toys, Fox or Disney? Or will they be splitting revenue?
that was all owned by lucas and sold to disney.

Do you even star wars?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.