Sony cancels "the interview"

5,754 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by el aggie
hunter2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.cnet.com/news/sony-cancels-the-interview-release/
MW03
AG
I have never seen anything like this.
Wade_3
AG
Terrible choice.

Watch this turn into the new norm for any activist group that doesn't like a movie being released.

It isn't that hard to hire somebody to hack into a corporation like Sony. Their cyber defenses aren't exactly top of the line.
P.C. Principal
Relevant South Park clip
hunter2012
AG
quote:
Relevant South Park clip
holy crap I hadn't seen that, I remember they bleeped that whole scene, not a single word was spoken. It was hilarious, infuriating, and classic South Park at the same time... the irony is by bleeping it, south park essentially made the point in the dialogue without saying anything.
All Star
That's it. Nuke em. I will not stand to have my freedom to watch a movie crumble before me.
Clavell
AG
1. Release to internet world wide.
2. Ask for voluntary contributions be sent.

Bet they make money. I'd send in $10, worth it just to see NK reaction, probably wouldn't even watch the movie.
NE PA Ag
Who needs to hack into anything? All anyone needs to do is publically release a threat to kill people who attend some event they don't like and be somehow semi-credible, and that should do it.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I thought the US didn't negotiate with terrorists. Clearly Glenn Close lied to me in Air Force One.

Seriously, why aren't we putting these a*holes in their place? Are they BFF with China?
Samsill98
AG
I actually wasn't all that interested in the seeing the movie until now.
Dad
AG
I would have bought tickets online and not showed up just to support it without risking getting blown up.
wesag
AG
Is J. law in it?
redd38
AG
quote:
Who needs to hack into anything? All anyone needs to do is publically release a threat to kill people who attend some event they don't like and be somehow semi-credible, and that should do it.

That "be somehow semi-credible" should answer why the need to hack anything. It gives credibility to the threat.
Worm01
AG
quote:
I thought the US didn't negotiate with terrorists. Clearly Glenn Close lied to me in Air Force One.

Seriously, why aren't we putting these a*holes in their place? Are they BFF with China?
I guess you missed our negotiations with Cuba this week, too. I guess we started negotiating with terrorists about the same time we started apologizing for being mean to them.
jeffk
AG
quote:
quote:

That "be somehow semi-credible" should answer why the need to hack anything. It gives credibility to the threat.
Exactly.

This whole "it sets a terrible precedent" argument is dependent on the group making threats being capable of pulling off something close to what they are threatening. Joe Rightwing Email Writer who sends anonymous emails protesting the next movie he finds offensive and threatening violence will still be ignored (much like he would have been six months ago) because he hasn't given anyone any reason to take his threats seriously.
Sinuso
AG
Director's cut DVD/Blu-ray sales should be brisk! I'll buy one on general principle.
95_Aggie
AG
Maybe Sony should stop making crappy movies
sayas2005
AG
not a huge Seth Rogan fan, but I hate censorship even more.

I don't care if its The Interview or Innocence of Muslims, but if you want to make a bad movie go for it. If it offends you - go watch something else.

Blazing Saddles or The Jerk would never get made today.
PooDoo
AG
Think the FBI told them there was a possibility that there was a legitimate chance of an attack?

Or do you think theaters started cancelling and they decided to save face instead of seeing poor numbers from a limited release?

Seth Rogen was on Howard Stern and said the movie was scheduled to be released in October but it tested so well they moved it back to Christmas. I wonder if they were being blackmailed by the hackers to kill the movie back then.
Saxsoon
AG
Obama flat called Sony out for backing down against N.Korea's threats. Was kind of shocked to see that response from him.
BBQ4Me
AG
It was stupid for Sony to backdown. Their cyber protection was a joke. They confused NK ability to hack their site with their ability to pull off a 9/11 attack in the US. And even if they could, they wouldn't because the US would nuke NK (further) into the Stone Age.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Obama flat called Sony out for backing down against N.Korea's threats. Was kind of shocked to see that response from him.
You're not the only one.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
They are considering releasing the movie now to an online service like iTunes. If they play their cards right, they'll be making a whole lot more than they could have ever hoped for prior to the hack.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
20ag07
quote:
They are considering releasing the movie now to an online service like iTunes. If they play their cards right, they'll be making a whole lot more than they could have ever hoped for prior to the hack.
Highly doubtful. This film was projected to do $80-100M box office. The highest grossing VOD releases (Snowpiercer and Margin Call) did $10M. So this would have to do 10x any of its predecessors to even be even with initial expectations.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Snowpiercer had nowhere near the noteriety of The Interview. They aren't even on the same playing field. This is uncharted waters. They release this tomorrow on iTunes and they are making that 10 million in a day.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
20ag07
Sure, but I don't think it would make $10M a day for 10 days, which is what it would need to make more than a theatrical release.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
1, it doesn't need to make $10 million for 10 days straight. 2, I was saying that it would be getting that $10 million relatively easily in the first day. 3, you are significantly underselling the notoriety of this movie if you don't think they are making huge amounts of money on this quickly. This is the biggest news story coming out of the entertainment industry in years. All they would need is 667k downloads in the first day to reach that 10 million dollar mark ($15 for iTunes movies). I have no doubt this movie gets several million downloads within the first couple hours, as long as this thing is released before this story goes completely stale.
BBQ4Me
AG
After about 6mo, I hope Sony puts it out on the web for free to disiminate world wide. Piss off Kim Jung Un
el aggie
AG
I think there's a good chance Sony never releases it. I don't think they're as scared of an attack as they are of the rest of the stolen data being released, but the threat gives them good cover.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Sony's CEO has already stated that he is actively exploring a VOD release. This movie will undoubtedly be released, the question is when.
Saxsoon
AG
BitTorrent is asking to partner with Sony to release behind their pay wall. Sony gets to keep most everything sans fees and 10% cut to BitTorrent
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
I doubt Sony OKs that unless they have no other options. The shadyness that a significant portion of the public associates with torrents, and the older populations (40+) nescience towards torrents makes it, IMO, an option of last resort.
Saxsoon
AG
It could actually help legitimize the whole thing. I don't do torrents but I would in a heart beat for this
Noblemen06
AG
Why explore the BitTorrent route when it's simple to implement and the partnerships are already in place for an iTunes/Amazon/VOD release? It doesn't seem to make much sense considering the more mainstream infrastructure for home digital release that exists.
Saxsoon
AG
Because those venues have already stated I believe that they are not interested in the risk it presents. Bittorrent is
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.