Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Best Missing Artist

6,554 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by wesag
mazag08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Your ignorance of the word melodic is baffling. Maiden has plenty of melody. It has nothing to do with "to each their own."
wesag
AG

The nuuuumber of the beast...
62strat
AG
Ahh, next year we get into grunge. If RRHOF wants any credibility, they have to put in nirvana and Pj right away. SG and AIC are eligible this year.. But not as big an impact as the other two. They'll get in at some point. Then you have STP soon after.
dfphotos
No on STP. The others should get in. But the hall blows. So who knows.
YouBet
AG
So how do they handle bands who have had different singers over the years? I've seen Chicago recently (not by choice but in one of the best venues in America - red rocks) and it was the worst sh^t I've ever heard. Doobie Brothers also played and also sucked.
CoolaidWade
AG
Green Day
TXAG 05
AG
quote:
Ahh, next year we get into grunge. If RRHOF wants any credibility, they have to put in nirvana and Pj right away.

Nirvana got in last year
KidDoc
AG
The fact that Iron Maiden is not in there and Rush just got in last year basically makes it invalid IMO.

But I'm a huge Maiden fan so my view is a bit skewed.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
wesag
AG
quote:
The fact that Iron Maiden is not in there and Rush just got in last year basically makes it invalid IMO.

So do you also get insulted when people make fun of Iron Maiden lyrics? What about their album covers? I'm not sure if cliche or kitschy would be better descriptors.

I'm kidding.

Seriously, though, I'll take old Black Sabbath over Iron Maiden.though I believe Ozzy is a leach who needs a great guitarist.
KidDoc
AG
quote:
quote:

So do you also get insulted when people make fun of Iron Maiden lyrics? What about their album covers? I'm not sure if cliche or kitschy would be better descriptors.

I'm kidding.

Seriously, though, I'll take old Black Sabbath over Iron Maiden.though I believe Ozzy is a leach who needs a great guitarist.
Dude that Ozzy description is spot on!

I actually preferred Sabbath with Dio as headman.

And I know Maiden is cheesy but I'm cheesy so that's ok with me.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
wesag
AG
Its all good. I own some Maiden and I love the Sex Pistols, and the latter was a contrived band. So I have no room to talk.

I also like Duran Duran and i'm not even gay.
leachfan
Is Joy Division in there?
petey88

Tommy Iommi, Bill Ward and Geezer say hello

Sabbath formed as some 21-22 year old kids, made some of the darkest music ever, and the Oz was out front belting out the lyrics

Dio was one of the best, but you can't take away the game changers
Aust Ag
AG
The way I look at the Hall, and who gets in, it should be based on INFLUENCE. Can I name several bands who I can say, 'Yeah, their sound was heavily influenced by this band"?

With that, Cheap Trick and Judas Priest should be the next 2 bands in. Also, longevity should be considered (think, 3000 hit club). These 2 bands fit the bill.

Deep Purple and Yes should be right there with them. Monster bands from '70-'84. (Damn, everybody forget how impactful "Owner of a Lonley Heart" was?)
jeffk
AG
Pete Rose
Tom Hagen
AG
With disco and rap acts in the HOF, they need to change the name to the "Pop Music Hall of Fame".
Know Your Enemy
AG
My vote goes to Iron Maiden.

I don't thjnk Pantera is eligible yet.
62strat
AG
quote:
My vote goes to Iron Maiden.

I don't thjnk Pantera is eligible yet.
pantera formed In early 80s. Phil joined in late 80s.

They are far beyond eligibility.
Know Your Enemy
AG
It's not based on when the band was formed but from their first release. Do all those local albums with Terry Glaze count?
digging tunnels
AG
quote:
It's not based on when the band was formed but from their first release. Do all those local albums with Terry Glaze count?
Even Pantera themselves don't count those albums!
62strat
AG
quote:
I know it's when first album was released; and they released a full length album in 83 with glaze. Why wouldn't it count? Just because it sucks doesn't mean it doesn't count.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Was it on an actual record label though? If a band self releases an album I'm not sure if the RRHOF recognizes that as an official release.
62strat
AG
I don't see how it can matter, but yes it was on 'metal magic'.
So many successful bands aren't even on labels today, or created their own. Offspring. Was tool? Zoo records?
There are more but you get the idea.

Look at sub pop. Local Seattle label.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
Def Leppard. No band has been through the crap theyve been through and accomplished a smidgen of what Leppard has done.

100% serious reply

But spinal tap went through more crap and produced more quality work than Def Leppard ever dreamed about.

That is more of a judgement on the suck in essence that was Def Leppard than the greatness that was spinal tap.
wesag
AG
quote:

Tommy Iommi, Bill Ward and Geezer say hello

Sabbath formed as some 21-22 year old kids, made some of the darkest music ever, and the Oz was out front belting out the lyrics

Dio was one of the best, but you can't take away the game changers
wesag
AG
I'm just glad grunge happened. That its all.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Sabbath is in, right?
wesag
AG
I cannot abide Cheap trick. Sorry.
Ag86Sig83
AG
I think this is the worst hall of fame out there, along with Basketball. They let way too many people in. IMO, longevity has to play a part, not that they were formed 20+ years ago, but, that they were relevent over some period of time. I do make an exception if you start a genre (Nirvana). It appears that everything falls under Rock and Roll, except Country. They should just make it a Music Hall of Fame and have different wings.

That being said, Pat Benetar should be in way before Joan Jett (if you're going to let either in). All of Joan Jett's hits were remakes. Deep Purple had hits with three different singers. You never see that happen. I love most of the bands mentioned, but I'm not sure how many are worthy.
wesag
AG
Ch ch ch ch ch cherry bomb
Macarthur
I think tool is eligible next year.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I love Nirvana, but they did not "start" grunge. They were just the most successful band in grunge.
wesag
AG
quote:
I love Nirvana, but they did not "start" grunge. They were just the most successful band in grunge.

Rock is dead.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.