Sony Hackers Threaten 9/11-like Terrorist Attack

28,506 Views | 334 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by el aggie
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sh*t just got real. These assh*loes have followed through on every threat so far. I sincerely hope they're either bluffing this go around, or we take them down before Christmas Day...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sony-hackers-release-latest-batch-758358

http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/16/7402649/sony-hackers-threaten-terror-attacks-on-people-seeing-the-interview

http://badassdigest.com/2014/12/16/scumbag-sony-hackers-graduate-to-terrorism/
The Debt

Considering all the links are entertainment news, Im gonna go ahead and say this is the Sony tail attempting to wag the dog.
TCTTS
AG
^ I honestly have no idea what any of that means.
TCTTS
AG
Also, I'm definitely seeing The Interview on Christmas Day now.
The Debt
Fire Sale, See Die Hardest Again, Timothy Olyphant uses hacking for terrorism.

All the links I have seen are from Variety and "Entertainment Tonight" which tells me industry journalist are reporting this before actual journalists, which is a joke in itself.

Wag the dog (also a movie) is a term to say a small group of effectual people can trick the entire dog (public) into bending to their will.

To sum up: Threat is bogus! Sony is using the entertainment media, which they are in bed with, to paint their enemies as "terrorists". Im sure these hackers will be Gitmo-bound by morning....
20ag07
Has Sony been using the "entertainment media" for the past several weeks?
TCTTS
AG
The Debt - Are you really that delusional?

The hackers are specifically sending their "demands"/hacked info to entertainment journalist. They're reporting on it first because they're getting the threats/info first. And if you'd actually click on a link before "assuming," you'd see that this is definitely not Sony's doing.
Sex Panther
AG
I always knew James Franco and Seth Rogen would cause World War III
Duncan Idaho
quote:
I always knew James Franco and Seth Rogen would cause World War III

I have heard worse predictions on the 700 club
Sex Panther
AG
I can't help but think of how hilarious it would be in 50 years if students in history classes are learning about the North Korea crisis and there's an entire chapter on Rogen and Franco.
LawAg05
AG
Will probably see the movie just because it pisses off the hackers.
"This is by far and away the most moronic post I've ever read on this site." -Billy Liucci 2.3.16 https://texags.com/forums/25/topics/2720871/replies/45448686
TCTTS
AG
quote:
I can't help but think of how hilarious it would be in 50 years if students in history classes are learning about the North Korea crisis and there's an entire chapter on Rogen and Franco.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
The funny thing is this movie looks like crap (just my tastes, others will surely enjoy it), so when the hackers write, "how bitter fate those who seek fun in terror should be doomed to," I assume they mean the pain of sitting through a crappy 112-minute movie.
The Debt
quote:
The Debt - Are you really that delusional?

The hackers are specifically sending their "demands"/hacked info to entertainment journalist. They're reporting on it first because they're getting the threats/info first. And if you'd actually click on a link before "assuming," you'd see that this is definitely not Sony's doing.
Are you really that gullible?

Im sure the journalist know these hackers email addresses. No, they know them face-to-face, yea thats the ticket! You of all people should know that entertainment journalist are easily bought...
TCTTS
AG
The hackers are using a new email address every time they contact these outlets. Really, minimal research would clue you in on some of this stuff, and would save you from having to make these incredibly ignorant claims in every post. Not everything is a conspiracy. If I'm "that gullible" on one end, you sound as paranoid/clichd as a Truther on the other. The idea that "entertainment journalist" are in on this as well, doing the bidding of Sony, is, frankly, insane.
COOL LASER FALCON
I don't think it's any kind of hoax or PR stunt, but there's something about this whole story that seems off. I think the biggest thing is that generally hackers are all free speech all the time. But also, if you're good enough to do as thorough of a job as they did with Sony, seems like you would be better served to go to war electronically than violently.

If it is a PR stunt, kudos. It's definitely piqued my interest in the movie.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
I don't think it's any kind of hoax or PR stunt, but there's something about this whole story that seems off. I think the biggest thing is that generally hackers are all free speech all the time. But also, if you're good enough to do as thorough of a job as they did with Sony, seems like you would be better served to go to war electronically than violently.

There's no way it's a PR stunt at this point. Sony is absolutely reeling from some of the stuff that's been leaked.

it has to be North Korea... Either that or it's just some really, really impressive hackers looking to cause "anarchy" and know they can try and paint the blame on NK... but man are they playing with some serious fire.
zap
AG
Seth Rogen, Howard Stern liken Sony hack to terrorism: 'This attack is no different than a 9/11-type attack'

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/seth-rogen-howard-stern-liken-sony-hack-terrorism-article-1.2046095
TCTTS
AG
quote:
quote:

There's no way it's a PR stunt at this point. Sony is absolutely reeling from some of the stuff that's been leaked.

it has to be North Korea... Either that or it's just some really, really impressive hackers looking to cause "anarchy" and know they can try and paint the blame on NK... but man are they playing with some serious fire.

Another theory has it being some recently let-go Sony workers in Japan. So it may be more of an "inside job" (and not in the way The Debt thinks). Apparently there was a relatively big lay-off over there or something.

North Korea makes the most sense, but at the same time, are they even technically savvy enough to pull this off? Their citizens literally don't even know the internet exists. Granted, I'm sure their higher-ups might be capable - or they could have outsourced the work - but still.

Either way, this is turning into more and more of a cluster*ck every single day. I honestly don't know if Sony recovers from this, especially if the hacks continue at this level.
zgood10
AG
Rogen and Franco have cancelled all upcoming media appearances
WestAustinAg
AG
quote:
Will probably see the movie just because it pisses off the hackers.
That's exactly what THEY want you to do...
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
Another theory has it being some recently let-go Sony workers in Japan. So it may be more of an "inside job" (and not in the way The Debt thinks). Apparently there was a relatively big lay-off over there or something.

North Korea makes the most sense, but at the same time, are they even technically savvy enough to pull this off? Their citizens literally don't even know the internet exists. Granted, I'm sure their higher-ups might be capable - or they could have outsourced the work - but still.

Yeah, I was thinking that may be why Sony was targeted because with The Interview coming out, it's easy to use North Korea as a scapegoat. The laid off workers makes sense, I hadn't heard of that yet.

Either way it's really interesting. I can't wait til another studio makes a movie about it.
amercer
AG
The Chinese military has a special hacking unit that has hacked and stolen from pretty much every single large company in the US. I'm sure the North Koreans could get some traing there if they asked. Or maybe China just doesn't like the idea of movies where repressive governments are mocked. China also kind of has a thing against Japan, and it's own fledgling movie industry to prop up. Just saying....
VanZandt92
quote:
Rogen and Franco have cancelled all upcoming media appearances
I'm worn out with these two.
Sex Panther
AG
Yeah my Asian relations knowledge is a little rusty and I couldn't remember how China and North Korea align... but China definitely could do it. Like amercer said, they've hacked the US a bunch already.
boy09
AG
quote:
Have fun being terrorized..
TCTTS
AG
quote:
The Chinese military has a special hacking unit that has hacked and stolen from pretty much every single large company in the US. I'm sure the North Koreans could get some traing there if they asked. Or maybe China just doesn't like the idea of movies where repressive governments are mocked. China also kind of has a thing against Japan, and it's own fledgling movie industry to prop up. Just saying....

quote:
Yeah my Asian relations knowledge is a little rusty and I couldn't remember how China and North Korea align... but China definitely could do it. Like amercer said, they've hacked the US a bunch already.

Good points.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'd imaging starting a hacking program is drastically easier and cheaper than building nuclear and intercontinental ballistic missile programs, as NK has been attempting to do for years. A lot of companies have crap cyber security, and it sounds like Sony was especially vulnerable.

Imagine this was NK. Now imagine they got their worm in dozens of other huge corporations. Now imagine they're emailing the heads of those companies and saying, "Do you want to be the next Sony? Give us $10 million every year or else." NK's GDP is just 12.38 billion (according to a quick google search), so attempting to bribe some Fortune 500 countries might actually yield a noticeable chunk of change. (South Korea's GPD, by comparison, is 1.3 trillion.)

When you consider how many billions of dollars many of the world's biggest companies are worth (http://www.forbes.com/global2000/list/), paying off the North Koreans might be nothing compared to the fallout of this kind of hacking.

North Korea and China are kind of friendly, but NK's antics sometimes piss China off. China still might have helped NK get a hacking program up and running, though. Or NK might have just built one on its own.

There have been a bunch of layoffs at Sony over the past year or two, but this is a pretty insane retribution for getting fired, especially if the person (or persons) get caught.
BigRobSA
quote:

There have been a bunch of layoffs at Sony over the past year or two, but this is a pretty insane retribution for getting fired, especially if the person (or persons) get caught.
Well, if they get caught here, it's 3 hots and a cot, and maybe some free anal rehydration.
LawAg05
AG
quote:
quote:
Have fun being terrorized..

Pay cash. Now what are they gonna do?

This whole hacking scandal and the reaction to it is indicative of Hollywood mentality. I really enjoy your posts TCTTS, so I hope you aren't offended and I'm not directing at you, but people in Hollywood believe the world revolves around them. This might be the most important thing for them right now, but to me this is less threatening and important than when Target got hacked. This type of attack appears to be the world we live in now and I think equating the Sony hack to 9/11 does a disservice to people who actually died. A bunch of Hollywood power players getting embarrassed simply doesn't move my give-a-**** o-meter.
TCTTS
AG
I agree on almost all accounts. That said...

quote:
This type of attack appears to be the world we live in now and I think equating the Sony hack to 9/11 does a disservice to people who actually died. A bunch of Hollywood power players getting embarrassed simply doesn't move my give-a-**** o-meter.

A). It was the hackers themselves who equated what they're going to do to 9/11, not the journalists.

B). It's not just the power players who are getting embarrassed. Thousands of people work for Sony, and a lot of medical records of those people have been leaked, along with additional personal info of many "average" employees as well. The hackers have even threatened to divulge a lot more info in that regard as well.

I completely agree that the Target hack had more of an impact on everyday people, and that a lot of people in Hollywood believe the world revolves around them. But just know this isn't affecting only the bigwigs. Heck, I worked for Sony in 2003 and 2005, and the hackers have access to data 10 years back. It's a long shot, but even my own personal data - social security number, etc. - could be included in the next round. This is affecting a lot more people than you think.
Jacques
The threat today makes this really strange. The Chinese are not our friends. But them threatening the us with a 911 type event would be crazy. That's something NK would do. It's something a non-state actor in China might do. But that kind of threat from China...I don't think so.

If it's former employees in Japan they just bought themselves a whole ****load of trouble. More even than they had already.
The Debt
quote:
The hackers are using a new email address every time they contact these outlet. Really, minimal research would clue you in on some of this stuff, and would save you from having to make these incredibly ignorant claims in every post. Not everything is a conspiracy. If I'm "that gullible" on one end, you sound as paranoid/clichd as a Truther on the other. The idea that "entertainment journalist" are in on this well, doing the bidding of Sony, is, frankly, insane.

I am going to make some threats to a journalist at Variety with my new email address: AnonymousAvenger@aol.com
Jacques
I don't think the threats are serious in the sense that I think they'll be carried out. But Variety is not "in" on anything. It's a highly respected entertainment industry trade publication. It's getting info and printing it. Sony is not doing this as a pr move. Way too much damage done to entertain that thought.
redd38
AG
Why does The Debt think terrorist threats are so funny?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.