Marco Polo

6,164 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by schmendeler
OKCAG02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How is it?
Bodie Broadus
I am enjoying it. Only on episode 3. Will most likely watch the whole day!
jeffk
AG
Ibn Battuta or GTFO.
mid90
AG
Have they already shown the episode where everyone swims blindfolded?
Frank Sobotka
It's okay. Kind of predictable.
Professor Frick
AG
Its a real fish out of water story
MaroonStain
AG
Started watching it last night. It's good for background to go to sleep.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
Its a real fish out of water story

Only cheaters get out of the water.

twenty two ags
curious to hear from those watching it. reviews have been pretty terrible.
YouBet
AG
It wanders a bit.
Belton Ag
AG
Seen the first two episodes so far and it's OK. Thumbs way way up for the last episode where the hot chick gets completely naked and goes all crouching dragon on those three soldiers.
Trident 88
AG
Fighting - not enough
Nudity - lots of naked Asian chicks with small boobs, so if that's your thing...
Heroes - Marco is meh, but Hundred Eyes is a bad ass.
amercer
AG
quote:

Nudity - lots of naked Asian chicks with small boobs, so if that's your thing...

Tell me more...
Silky Johnston
My old lady is enjoying it, but I have already lost interest. All the women look the same, so I can't keep up with who's who and doing what.
roveram
AG
I'm through 5 episodes and so far it's been fairly....blah. Haven't found myself caring about the characters.

Netflix has done better.
Bodie Broadus
quote:
Fighting - not enough

Seriously sums up this show.
FriendlyAg
quote:
quote:
Fighting - not enough

Seriously sums up this show.

Yup. I think I have watched 5 episodes? I couldn't really tell you what's going on though. Lots of concubines and slow talking scenes that don't add much to the story.

I'm not even sure why Marco is being trained. I'm not sure what his personal goal is. It's like he is just floating along.

They could make the whole show about hundred eyes and I would watch it. Dude is a badass.
Finn
AG
I am enjoying the show. It is building in about 15 different directions so I understand why people would not like it so much. I like the time period so it could get better or be a flop. Marco needs to stop being a puss though I am going to watch much further. really is my only complaint.
Trident 88
AG
Lots of WTF moments in this series... Unfortunately after watching episode 7, I am compelled to continue watching to find out why Hundred Eyes didn't "FINISH HIM!"
Frank Sobotka
Good Acting for Kublai Khan and Hundred Eyes.

Hundred Eyes is the epitome of the wise blind stereotypical/prototypical martial arts sensei.

Kublai Khan is exactly what you would expect in a forward-thinking legendary emperor. An intelligent and practical force of nature.
Frank Sobotka
Too much gratuity though. Trying too hard to be marketable.
Univex
AG
Netflix would have been better off basing the series off of Conn Iggulden's Mongol series of books.
Trident 88
AG
Yes indeed... Hundred Eyes is a bad ass.
TampaBayAg08
AG
So granted I've only watched 2 episodes and im a sucker for Asian history, but here's my take on it: Marco Polo at a young age wasn't necessarily supposed to be a charismatic person. I think for one thing they named the show Marco Polo because if you named it "Khan" or whatever it wouldn't be nearly as catchy. Everyone knows Marco Polo, be it his actual (or fake) stories... Or the pool game. I think they're using Polo not to be a central character that we all love, but they're using him as a way for the audience to understand what on earth is happening, the politics/culture, etc. He wasn't truly charismatic and this great story teller until he grew up and went back to Italy. I think perhaps as the show gets into more seasons, Polo will become a stronger character and more of a focal point. But for now, I think he's just there for the use of the audience so we aren't completely lost in this foreign culture.
Wildcat
AG
I waited to watch the entire first season before coming here to get everyone else's take. The "professional" reviews were not kind, but I think the show is underrated.

It did start slow. Polo's character is overshadowed by Khan and Hundred eyes. Even the Song Chancellor and his ho-sister-assassin were more compelling. However, the first season comes together in the last two episodes where Khan finally shows vulnerability, Polo awakens to their brutality, Song is seemingly defeated, and the groundwork for a coup attempt are laid.

The historians hate it, but they hate everything and can't even agree among themselves. They were never to be pleased and it looks like the writers, knowing this, said F' it. Let's replace the historical elements with rehashed martial arts scenes (that everyone loves) and nekkid concubines.

I'll watch season 2.
Kampfers
AG
It took a while to get a handle on all the names/faces. Similar to Game of Thrones in that respect, although a lot less complex.

I enjoyed it, and I'll watch season 2. And I'm a historian. I just know that this isn't intended to be a historical re-creation, and so I don't treat it as such. That would inevitably lead to frustration. It's a mythical show no different than any other. Some of the names and settings just happen to be historical.

I am confused as to one fact. Spoilers follow:

The whole viriginity testing of Kokachin. Didn't she bang Marco? Plus she's an avid horse-rider, and was also betrothed before the Khanate attacked.
AgDev01
AG
The first stone was clean. I believe they meant to insinuate that the Kahn's wife cut her to supply the blood for the second stone.
Knife_Party
quote:
quote:

Tell me more...

JonLobb
quote:
Seen the first two episodes so far and it's OK. Thumbs way way up for the last episode where the hot chick gets completely naked and goes all crouching dragon on those three soldiers.
watching now. this scene has sold me on the series and is precisely why i came and found this thread
JonLobb
quote:
I waited to watch the entire first season before coming here to get everyone else's take. The "professional" reviews were not kind, but I think the show is underrated.

It did start slow. Polo's character is overshadowed by Khan and Hundred eyes. Even the Song Chancellor and his ho-sister-assassin were more compelling. However, the first season comes together in the last two episodes where Khan finally shows vulnerability, Polo awakens to their brutality, Song is seemingly defeated, and the groundwork for a coup attempt are laid.

The historians hate it, but they hate everything and can't even agree among themselves. They were never to be pleased and it looks like the writers, knowing this, said F' it. Let's replace the historical elements with rehashed martial arts scenes (that everyone loves) and nekkid concubines.

I'll watch season 2.

this should be a required course at every film school in the country
aggie93
AG
I'm about half way through the season. Agree with most of the comments here. Hundred Eyes is a badass. Kublai is an intriguing character. Too many female characters that look very similar making it hard to follow at times. Lots and lots of Asian chicks with small boobs. Marco is kind of a "meh" character, personally I have been most annoyed with his thing for the Blue Princess chick that seems more of a distraction than anything.

I'll keep watching but started with low expectations and they are being met. I'm a sucker for historical dramas, especially in Asia, so it would have to be really bad for me not to watch.
JonLobb
so drug fueled psychedelic Arab orgy? that just happened
chick79
AG
Just finished the first three episodes. Enjoying it!
schmendeler
AG
Just finished the season. I enjoyed it and felt like it definitely picked up toward the end. Hundred eyes is kick ass and I definitely am looking forward to season two.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.