HBO to make "Going Clear"

3,604 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Redstone
BBQ4Me
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/25/showbiz/movies/going-clear-hbo-movie-lawyers/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

HBO making a documentary about Scientology and has lawyered up in anticipation of the sh*t storm
I look forward to seeing this and the crying Tom Cruise does in response (from the closet)
Duncan Idaho
Good for them.
TCTTS
Duncan Idaho
It would be awesome if they sued and lost their religious status when the dust settles
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Will watch.
FL_Ag1998
AG
As someone who's done a lot of work near their headquarters in Clearwater, I can definitely say they are an odd lot.

I was directing some work not far from them when a pair of them walked up, announced they were Scientologists, asked if they could do a survey. They then asked us about a dozen random odd questions. Like, "if you could choose between a chicken and a duck, which would you choose?". And its happened to other coworkers as well.

And anytime you do any work near their headquarters you're guaranteed to have at least a few of them stake you out in a car for awhile to see what you're doing.

It's just an understanding around here that they have a lot of power with the city of Clearwater and don't get asked many questions about their activities. I believe they own quite a bit of property in the city, could be wrong though.

This documentary should be interesting.
Sex Panther
AG
I've never understood how they got so powerful. I know Cults have their ways of brainwashing individuals, but these guys beliefs are so damn out there, I just don't know how any one can take them seriously. Hopefully this will shine some light.
Duncan Idaho
Not too much crazier tha. Mormons
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
Just had this convo with some friends yesterday.
israeliag
AG
I'll watch.
JJxvi
AG
Mormonism is at least built on the bedrock of Christianity, so its at least easy to see where they initially pulled followers from. Scientology is a bunch of folks following a science fiction writer.
TXAGFAN
AG
quote:
i am not religious. I find this funny as really any popular religion has INSANE stories that if someone told you them on the street anyone would say the person is completely nuts.

Mormon theology is no crazier than popular Christian theology.
BEaggie08
AG
quote:
quote:
i am not religious. I find this funny as really any popular religion has INSANE stories that if someone told you them on the street anyone would say the person is completely nuts.

I know what you're saying, but you obviously don't know much about Mormonism if you don't think it's any crazier than Christianity.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
quote:
quote:

I know what you're saying, but you obviously don't know much about Mormonism if you don't think it's any crazier than Christianity.

What he said.
Quinn
AG
Is it going to be a documentary or a movie? I loved the book, so I will watch whatever HBO puts together based on it.
YouBet
AG
Wife just informed me we own this book and indeed I just found it on the shelf. Will be reading promptly.

Re: Mormonism. Read Krakauers "Under the Banner of Heaven". Riveting book that covers history of Mormonism tied to modern day murder that happened a few years back.

Redstone
AG
I've read it, and have also read: Reitman's Inside Scientology, Atack's Piece of Blue Sky, Miller's Bare-Faced Messiah, and both academic studies, from Hugh Urban and various (OUP). And this is also not to mention Kindle offerings like Abuse from the Top and Blown For Good, in addition to Tony Ortega's extensive investigative journalism, and the reports from the Tampa Bay Times.
Duncan Idaho
Read all you want but you will still be a poser, I was a thrid level operating theaton.
YouBet
AG
quote:
I've read it, and have also read: Reitman's Inside Scientology, Atack's Piece of Blue Sky, Miller's Bare-Faced Messiah, and both academic studies, from Hugh Urban and various (OUP). And this is also not to mention Kindle offerings like Abuse from the Top and Blown For Good, in addition to Tony Ortega's extensive investigative journalism, and the reports from the Tampa Bay Times.
I bet you've read all of the Lost Gospels too.
HvilleAggie
AG
quote:
Is there some conclusion you've drawn from all these readings that you'd like to share with us, or are you just bragging about your library?
el aggie
AG
Redstone's just being humble - I heard he's also read the golden plates themselves.
BBQ4Me
AG
quote:

Yeah, well Jameis Winston read "Red Fish, Blue Fish"
Squirrel Master
AG
It's been awhile since Redstone posted the complete list of his library or books he read or whatever it was. Always an amusing entry to a thread.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
Redstone's just being humble - I heard he's also read the golden plates themselves.
Ag_07
AG
quote:
Yeah, well Jameis Winston read "Red Fish, Blue Fish"

Troll. Come on here posting rumors like that.
Complete Idiot
quote:
I've read it, and have also read: Reitman's Inside Scientology, Atack's Piece of Blue Sky, Miller's Bare-Faced Messiah, and both academic studies, from Hugh Urban and various (OUP). And this is also not to mention Kindle offerings like Abuse from the Top and Blown For Good, in addition to Tony Ortega's extensive investigative journalism, and the reports from the Tampa Bay Times
Of all the pieces you mentioned, only one was written by a female and one by a Mexican American. It would be beneficial if you opened your mind to the opinions of additional females and minorities on this subject, but also moved beyond the American-centric viewpoint you've so shallowly decided to focus on. I think if you allowed yourself to broaden your world outlook it would add much to your understanding of the complex topic of religion.
Redstone
AG
There is no concept of God in Scientology. It cannot be classified as a religion. (And I know about Buddhism. It can be fairly classified as a religion because the concept is real to some practitioners, and it is absent the writings of a founder denying God.)

See Atack on this point:
http://tonyortega.org/2014/11/29/jon-atack-excavates-the-scientology-mind-for-l-ron-hubbards-most-harmful-implants/
Redstone
AG
And good username by the way.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.