Dresden Files discussion thread

8,800 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Swarely
Karrde
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Polka will never die!
RedbeardAG
AG
Dresden awesome.....avoid the Iron Druid books like the plague. Freaking awful.
SQXVI
AG
Skin Game Spoilers***********************************

I think i had what may be my favorite dresden moment only because it's SOOO Harry Dresden. In the beginning of the book Mab comes out to demonreach to strongarm Harry into doing something for her by leveraging the parasite in his head. To keep the parasite at bay she offers a stud earring. Harry says his ear's aren't pierced and when mab leans into pierce his ears he says "Wait...do the left one....it's a mortal thing" HILARIOUS!!!!
SQXVI
AG
Finished the series, melancholy setting in. I've thought this after reading the king killer chronicles, the mostborn series, and the way of the King series, but I think the Dresden files might have been the best series I've ever read. I did like cold days and changes, but skin game was by far my favorite book in the series. Any ideas when #16 is coming out?

Starting the WoT series, hopefully tower lord is finished, and GRRM or Sanderson or Rothfuss have finished another by the time I'm done.
jlb2957
AG
quote:
Finished the series, melancholy setting in. I've thought this after reading the king killer chronicles, the mostborn series, and the way of the King series, but I think the Dresden files might have been the best series I've ever read. I did like cold days and changes, but skin game was by far my favorite book in the series. Any ideas when #16 is coming out?

Starting the WoT series, hopefully tower lord is finished, and GRRM or Sanderson or Rothfuss have finished another by the time I'm done.
I feel the same way.

My favorite book is either The Name of the Wind or A Wise Man's Fear.... but the Dresden Files is my favorite series. It is just so freaking fun of a read. You love the characters (because they are so multi dimensional) and are always so excited to see who will be in the next book.

But like I said earlier... Michael in Skin Game... That was a "Holy ****!" screamed out loud moment for me.

I personally thought Skin game was more in the vein of Dead Beat - Turn Coat. I thought all the books in that grouping were when Butcher finally got everything going and you started truly seeing the scope of the world he built. They were fun, meaningful, and had great writing.

Changes and Cold Days I put a step over those books. I am rereading everything for the second time (mostly on audiobook) and would have to rate them thus far:

Cold Days - Just phenomenal. Butcher's writing and world are now at the top of the genre and the action scenes and story are second to none, in my opinion.
Changes - **** Just Got Real. About all you can say. I see Changes as the climax of a 5 book run where Butcher was just on his game and the world was really coming to life.
Dead Beat - The first book of the five where I feel the world is coming to life. Harry becomes a warden, butters really joins the fold, and has the BEST scene in the entire series.
Grave Peril - Michael joins the cast. To be honest, that is really the only reason it is here. I may be able to put Skin Game here, but Grave Peril is more nostalgic for me. I was genuinely surprised with how Butcher incorporated Christianity with everything and Michael is the BEST secondary character in any book, imo.
Storm Front - Started it all. This book will always be in my top 5 simply out of nostalgia. You're introduced to the greatest character in fiction, you have great scenes (harry blowing up a frog demon channelling lighting while standing in the stormy streets of Chicago naked), and I love the tone of this book. It is the most noir-esque of the series.

Some may change as I continue on, but i'm pretty certain of those top 5.
jlb2957
AG
And to hit on your question; He was very good with getting 1 book out per year until Skin Game (which took a year and a half). Hell, he was getting a a dresden book out every year while also writing the codex Alera.

As per Butcher's twitter; He finished the first book in his new series on November 17 and said he would then begin Peace Talks (the next Dresden book)

From everything I have watched on youtube, Peace Talks looks to be an epic book. There is going to be all kinds of **** happening that he is hinting to but will not say exactly.
jlb2957
AG
And, for my third post because I geek out on the Dresden Files:

Try the audio books. James Marsters does a great job. I'm also really enjoying the pace because I blazed through some of them on my first read through.
Hudson2508
AG
Just finished Skin Game, personally rank it up there with Changes. I get emotional when he's with his daughter and with Mouse. Loved having Michael involved and the Butter's twist was awesome.

Been a fun series read. Started book 1 at the beginning of the year and binged read them. Hope the next one doesnt take long. Although now I'm caught up on GoT, the Stormlight Archives, Raven's Shadow and will knock out the Gentleman's *******s series shortly. Got a lot of books to read as they come out.
Madmarttigan
AG
My favorites were changes and ghost story, because they were the most emotionally charged and ghost story was kind of different to me from the other books, but in all reality the last 4 book really just blow the rest of the series out of the water.
Philo B 93
Thanks to this thread from people who are probably long gone, I read Dead Beat from the Dresdin series. Light and enjoyable. I'm going to start another one between now and Halloween. Any suggestions? I'm leaning towards Fool Moon.
G.I.Bro
One of my favorite series. I've read the bulk of them twice, once Peace Talks finally gets a release date I'll probably reread from Changes.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
i think i saw somewhere that Butcher said he's done with Peace Talks. Not sure the typical wait for "writer done" to "published and on shelves", but it looks like we wont have too much longer to wait....
PatAg
AG
I would follow the order of the story line, personally.
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
Philo B 93 said:

Thanks to this thread from people who are probably long gone, I read Dead Beat from the Dresdin series. Light and enjoyable. I'm going to start another one between now and Halloween. Any suggestions? I'm leaning towards Fool Moon.

I agree with PatAg. Read them in order. There's a lot of continuity and recurring characters
shaynew1
AG
Read em in order.
Madmarttigan
AG
You really need to read them in order but beware they take 2-3 books to get going but every book keeps building and getting better and better to me.

PatAg
AG
I might start back over again, maybe finish by the time the new book comes out.
Philo B 93
I haven't done anything in order since 1994. Thank you Pulp Fiction. Sometimes I intentionally skip the first 30 minutes of a movie (Act One) just to get to the good stuff.

Anyway, Storm Front #1 is only 2.99 for a digital download. I'll probably try that. I just didn't want to trudge through 6 books of blah before Butcher really "finds his footing".
americathegreat1492
It's been a few years since I read them all, but it didn't feel like 6 books before they got good. Storm Front was enjoyable. Fool Moon was good. No memory of Grave Peril. Summer Knight was super rad. Changes (book 10?) is mind blowing. However, it's only mind blowing because of all the knowledge and investment you get from the previous books. There's not a bad book in the bunch, and because they're so short and action oriented, if you get bored you get pulled out of that pretty quickly. In fact, Butcher felt like he has his timing down so well, that right when I got bored something massive happened that woke me the **** up. Wish Peace Talks was out.
bearamedic99
AG
Peace Talks is complete. No release date yet.

Supposedly, Butcher went thru a divorce, maybe the loss of a dog, then something about weird living conditions without a proper writing space but now has a happy domicile and new flame per my best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend or such on Reddit.
MW03
AG
Excellent books.
Philo B 93
bearamedic99 said:

Peace Talks is complete. No release date yet.

Supposedly, Butcher went thru a divorce, maybe the loss of a dog, then something about weird living conditions without a proper writing space but now has a happy domicile and new flame per my best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend or such on Reddit.

I've never realized that hearing about the author as a person can affect my reading of the book. Now as I read I can only picture a sad, lonely, broken man at his laptop in a bare apartment writing, between desperate Tinder sessions.

I'll wait until his life turns around before starting Storm Front.
bearamedic99
AG
http://epicstream.com/news/JakeVyper/Dresden-Files-Calling-For-Extras-For-Peace-Talks-Live-Action-Trailer
ramblin_ag02
AG
https://www.tor.com/2019/12/16/jim-butchers-new-novel-peace-talks-will-publish-in-2020-for-the-20th-anniversary-of-the-dresden-files/

In case anyone else is waiting, release date is now 7/14/2020!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Swarely
Just finished "Peace Talks". I wasn't happy with his last couple books, but damn if this one didn't suck me right back in. Finished in two days. I didn't do a reread though, so I was a bit lost on a bunch of the characters. Seems like everyone from the past books was in this one.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.