Foo Fighter question

2,048 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Murder Hornet
Aust Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've never seen anything from Grohl about why, at this point in their career, the Foos don't do at least 1 Nirvana song on their tour. Not even something like Scentless Apprentice, which Grohl co-wrote. I don't get it. Obviously, early in their career I totally get it....like Plant not doing Zep songs. But now, even Plant does. For many years now.

I think it would be great to see Hawkins go on vocals and yelp out "On A Plain" with Grohl on drums. How cool would that be? I know they have plenty in their own catalog, but why not a nod to the past? Not like anyone else is out keeping those songs alive.
Noblemen06
AG
Kind of an answer here
Noblemen06
AG
Another here...basically, "Nirvana songs are sacred"
R0GUE
AG
Also Foo Fighters seem like a very different kind of band to me than Nirvana. I like both bands, and I love a lot of those old Nirvana songs, but to me Foo Fighters songs generally have a much more hopeful, encouraging, soaring vibe whereas obviously Nirvana was more typical grunge: morose, melancholy, often heartbreaking.

I don't know if it's just that Dave doesn't like doing that style of music anymore, but to me it would actual be jarring and not quite right to hear Foo Fighters play Rape Me or Drain You or Where Did You Sleep Last Night.
Sex Panther
AG
That's pretty noble of him, and I definitely get where he's coming from... But I think he has every right to do one once in a while or even one per show. Nobody is going to think less of them for it.
Aust Ag
AG
Right, he's way past the point of people thinking he's just trying to piggyback on the Nirvana name.
Know Your Enemy
AG
On the Austin episode of Sonic Highways they were goofing around and Dave started playing Smells Like Teen Spirit on guitar.
MookieBlaylock
AG
b/c he doesn't want to give courtney love a penny is my thought she owns the catalog and while grohl was paid a pretty penny its still an issue
Aust Ag
AG
I thought that too.
jrod2181
Off topic but I Just got my bday present from the wife. She is taking me to the Foo Fighters July 4th show in DC with Gary Clark Jr, Joan Jett and Heart.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Buddy Guy is playing that show too. He is fantastic live.
Squirrel Master
AG
Thats a pretty sweet show.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
Off topic but I Just got my bday present from the wife. She is taking me to the Foo Fighters July 4th show in DC with Gary Clark Jr, Joan Jett and Heart.

That's badass
Knife_Party
quote:
Heart.

I'm in love with Ann Wilson's voice.
R0GUE
AG
Do you <3 it?
Hatchet Harry
AG
Marigold

It was the B-side on Heart Shaped Box (so I guess not officially released) but Grohl wrote it and Nirvana did record it. It's probably my favorite song on Skin & Bones.

I like that the Foos don't do any Nirvana, it keeps those songs fresh (at least to me).
Murder Hornet
AG
Marigold is a great song. On Skin and Bones, Dave also does a song he wrote after picking up a guitar and coin and starting to play. Very Nirvana-sounding
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.