MockingJay's 1-day box office puts it 47th for 2014

6,826 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by oragator
RingyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just because it makes money it doesn't mean it's because of the star.
Professor Frick
AG
You're the only person arguing about whether it's her star power that is driving the box office. First you said it failed at the box office (because you can't read) and blamed it on people being over JL. Now that it appears you have come to understand the movie is actually making a bunch of movie, you say it's not because of JL. Got it.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
quote:
I didn't enjoy the 3rd book until I read the series a 2nd time. I understand it better now and like them all.

And for those getting mad they split the last book into 2 movies... It was for the best. Way too much stuff for one movie (way too many scenes at different locations). Would have been a mess of a movie.

Someone on this board made the comparison to Ender's Game. EG was a mess for the reasons this one would've been. I thought they did this one right.

LOL, yeah that was me on that comment too. I'm a fan of the books and the movies. I don't see any reason to nitpick a movie when it's very well done. If they had made up stuff just to fill 2 movies then yeah maybe (Hobbit), but they filled up the 1st Mockingjay with the important parts of the book and they have a ton of good material left for part 2. They actually have a lot of ground to cover still.
redd38
AG
quote:
You're the only person arguing about whether it's her star power that is driving the box office. First you said it failed at the box office (because you can't read) and blamed it on people being over JL. Now that it appears you have come to understand the movie is actually making a bunch of movie, you say it's not because of JL. Got it.
Duncan Idaho
I'd ringy billoncapitalhiil's new name?
Bruce Almighty
AG
No, that's The Debt, unless he changed his name again.
The Debt
quote:
No, that's The Debt, unless he changed his name again.
Um, I just lurk on this forum. The mod dont like me.
Texags is garbage
The book was just awful IMO. I saw the other two in the first week, but could literally wait until this one came out on Netflix.
oragator
The first two made something like 1.4 billion combined worldwide. Even if this one sucks it will blow past 500 million worldwide with little problem.
swimmerbabe11
Has anyone seen A Million Ways to Die in the West? It looked funny to me, but it got terrible reviews.

Hunger Games rates solid Meh on the meh scale of meh-ing. The books were condescending and rushed. Great plotline with no depth. I read them and found myself dreaming of what a decent author could have done with the story.

I'll end up watching the rest on netflix because they are decent enough. I feel like this sentiment is growing. More and more people are getting tired of the drawing out of series. I'm not sure the success of Harry Potter and LOTR can ever be duplicated again, which is what they are trying to do.
TajMaballer
AG
quote:
Has anyone seen A Million Ways to Die in the West? It looked funny to me, but it got terrible reviews.

I enjoyed it, but I also really like that kind of cheap humor. I would say solid redbox movie.
Post removed:
by user
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
a million ways to die in the west is absolutely terrible.

It's a love it or hate it sort of deal. If you like Family Guy type humor I don't see why you wouldn't like this movie. I personally laughed quite a bit at the movie.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:

I enjoyed it, but I also really like that kind of cheap humor. I would say solid redbox movie.

It was like a live action family guy movie honestly, but i laughed.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
quote:
quote:

It was like a live action family guy movie honestly, but i laughed.

This is accurate
Zeke1995
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Such a role model "Oh and I insert a buttplug before I go on late night tv" she's so modern! I want to be just like her....

GiveEmHellBill
AG
Absolutely loved the first book. Really liked the second. The third was such a disappointment that I haven't finished it.

I'll see this one this week, but my enthusiasm for the series has peaked.

And Ringyag needs to stop posting on this thread.
bangobango
AG
quote:

Hunger Games rates solid Meh on the meh scale of meh-ing. The books were condescending and rushed. Great plotline with no depth. I read them and found myself dreaming of what a decent author could have done with the story.

I'll end up watching the rest on netflix because they are decent enough. I feel like this sentiment is growing. More and more people are getting tired of the drawing out of series. I'm not sure the success of Harry Potter and LOTR can ever be duplicated again, which is what they are trying to do.
Just to nitpick, but the LOTR wasn't drawn out. It was three books and they made three movies out of it. They cut a lot of things out.

I'm with you, though. I have enjoyed the first two Hunger Game movies, but I'm in no hurry to see this third one. I think it's a combination of several things. One, that it seems like just a few months ago I was watching the second one. Two, that they split it into two movies, so I know that this one is going to have some sort of unsatisfying conclusion. And three, the fact that everybody I have talked to who has read all the books talks about how much they dislike the third book.
The Notorious A.G.G.I.E.
AG
Mockingjay part 1 was good, but it's really a preamble for Part 2 where the story concludes.

Mockingjay is a difficult book in many ways. It's so different in theme and tone than the first two books. More violent too.
oragator
The movie had a rebound second weekend and is ready over 400 million worldwide. Decent chance it passes catching fire, but is all but guaranteed to cross 700 million. No one is worried about it anymore.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2014/11/29/friday-box-office-mockingjay-soars-to-400m-worldwide/
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.