MockingJay's 1-day box office puts it 47th for 2014

6,816 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by oragator
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
$55 mil on opening day for MockingJay puts it 47th on the list of American box office gross for the entire year.

In one day, MockingJay beat out the entire run of such film luminaries as:

A Million Ways to Die in the West ($43 million)
Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit ($50 million)
Jersey Boys ($47 million)
The Expendables 3 ($39 million)

By the end of today, it will add the Robocop remake, God's Not Dead, Monument Men, Hercules and The Purge 2 to that list.

Behold the power of teenage girls.
RingyAg
It seems the infatuation with Jennifer Lawrence is over. Thank goodness.
Vernada
AG
I'm gonna guess it has much more mass appeal than just the 'teenage girl' demo.
20ag07
It's down 22% from last year's Hunger Games film opening day, so the folks at Lionsgate are likely crying today and not celebrating all the crappy films they beat.
RingyAg
IIRC blockbusters release a week or tw before thanksgiving to get two huge weekends: premiere and thanksgiving.

It looks like Hunger Games just missed the first free throw of a 1and1.
Tobias Funke
AG
Wait so are you saying the movie won't be available for viewing next weekend? Or do you not understand basketball terms?
RingyAg
Poor analogy. Shoulda just been 2 FTs.

<Puts gun in mouth>
Tobias Funke
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
I'm gonna guess it has much more mass appeal than just the 'teenage girl' demo.
double aught
AG
Nothing in the OP was surprising.
Short Round
I enjoyed the books and the last two movies but for some reason I just don't want to hurry out the door and see it. Redbox maybe?
mid90
AG
The moment they split the last book into 2 movies is the moment I lost interest.

That book sucked. I don't want to watch 2 movies based on a book I suffered through just so I could finish the series.
OnlyForNow
AG
Mid90 +1
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
The moment they split the last book into 2 movies is the moment I lost interest.

That book sucked. I don't want to watch 2 movies based on a book I suffered through just so I could finish the series.

Agreed.
Mucho austin
AG
Read the first two and enjoyed the first two films, but I found myself comparing them way too much.

Didn't read #3 but just saw it. I enjoyed it. It definitely has a different feel to it compared to 1 and 2, but I liked it.

JBLHAG03
AG
I enjoyed her nude pics.
Col. Steve Austin
AG
Went last night with my two (adult) daughters and it was mediocre at best. I enjoyed the first two movies but this one was fairly boring in long stretches. Not recommended except for hardcore Hunger Games fans and even then I would say nothing missed if you wait for it to come out on video.
bagger05
AG
Just saw it and thought it was really good. I agree that the third book was my least favorite but I thought this movie was on par with the other two. Seems that the critics disagree, but I really enjoyed it.
redd38
AG
quote:

how do you figure?
RingyAg
quote:
quote:

how do you figure?

The cult of JL is expected to net tons of money in whatever movie she is in. "Oh I had body image issues, but I eat whatever I want (unless my role is a starving poor girl in a dystopia)." And all the girls under 35 go crazy. Such a role model "Oh and I insert a buttplug before I go on late night tv" she's so modern! I want to be just like her....
redd38
AG
well she DID bring in tons of money
jr15aggie
AG
I didn't enjoy the 3rd book until I read the series a 2nd time. I understand it better now and like them all.

And for those getting mad they split the last book into 2 movies... It was for the best. Way too much stuff for one movie (way too many scenes at different locations). Would have been a mess of a movie.
RingyAg
There have been what 46 weeks this year? 47?

And an epic conclusion (PT 1) to a huge franchise barely beats out Seth MacFarlane' s acting debut. Seriously. Are you really arguing that her star power got them to $55m?
Harry Stamper
quote:

And an epic conclusion (PT 1) to a huge franchise barely beats out Seth MacFarlane' s acting debut.Seriously. Are you really arguing that her star power got them to $55m?

I don't think you really understood what the OP was saying..
Bruce Almighty
AG
Saw it last night. I haven't read the books, but it's hard to judge this until the next one comes out. It's basically nothing but setup to the final movie. It reminded me of the first part of the last Harry Potter movie.
bagger05
AG
quote:
I didn't enjoy the 3rd book until I read the series a 2nd time. I understand it better now and like them all.

And for those getting mad they split the last book into 2 movies... It was for the best. Way too much stuff for one movie (way too many scenes at different locations). Would have been a mess of a movie.

Someone on this board made the comparison to Ender's Game. EG was a mess for the reasons this one would've been. I thought they did this one right.
KidDoc
AG
quote:

+1
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
quote:

And an epic conclusion (PT 1) to a huge franchise barely beats out Seth MacFarlane' s acting debut.Seriously. Are you really arguing that her star power got them to $55m?

I don't think you really understood what the OP was saying..

Bingo
Sex Panther
AG
What's this about Jennifer Lawrence and butt plugs?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'd plug her butt.
redd38
AG
quote:

And an epic conclusion (PT 1) to a huge franchise barely beats out Seth MacFarlane' s acting debut. Seriously. Are you really arguing that her star power got them to $55m?
A Million Ways to Die in the West made $43 million in 47 days.

Mockingjay made $55 million in 1 day.

Now stop and read that again. Then go back and read the OP.

Mockingjay was the 17th biggest opening day of ALL TIME!

It's now made $123 million in 3 days.

I think Jennifer Lawrence is going to continue to get work.
RingyAg
You folks think it was Kristen Stewart's star power that fueled Breaking Dawn's gross?

Cmon really.
Sex Panther
AG
Did you just compare Kristen Stewart to Jennifer Lawrence?
RingyAg
I was comparing the franchises.
Professor Frick
AG
Why?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.