Fury

2,464 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by OldArmy71
Old Jock 1997
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SPOILERS!!!

Saw it last night with a group of dads. Wow; fantastic movie.

The scene in the apartment was very uncomfortable, especially once Bernthal's character entered the fray. I thought he skated borderline mental retardation most of the movie, but I appreciated his reconciliation with Norman in the farmhouse at the crossroads.

Pitt and Lebouf were great. I read that Lebouf became a Christian because of his experience.

The only thing that bugged me was all of the tracer fire. It seemed excessive and looked too much like Star Wars. But it certainly left the impression of how violent and random a firefight can be.

I was speechless afterward, largely because we lose this generation each day. They'll be gone before we know it. Evil will rise again -- maybe we are already seeing it in the Middle East -- and it's hard to fathom the complete sacrifice we as a people would have to make to ensure victory. I'm not sure we have the resolve as a nation anymore, and it's hard to imagine a group of hipsters in skinny jeans and earrings freeing the world from the clutches of tyranny.
Sex Panther
AG
edited
Nonregdrummer09
AG
While I disagree in general with that conclusion you went into, I did enjoy the movie but maybe for different reasons than you did.

One is that most WWII movies often depict these American soldiers as almost "Captain America" type heroes without dealing with the realistic horror that WWII was, especially on the front lines. Some movies have gotten somewhat into that (Saving Private Ryan is one that comes to mind) but to see a movie deal with the mental impact of being in a war like that, especially for as long as the characters of that film had been in it, is refreshing and gives a more human impact to the movie that bring it home a little more.

Every generation thinks the generation that comes after them is worse or somehow more worthless than them, it is literally the most consistent thing in humanity, especially in the US, haha.
Old Jock 1997
AG
Sex Panther, review is your word, not mine. I was just sharing some of my thoughts. To stimulate conversation. Take it -- or leave it -- for what it's worth.

Nonregdrummer09, yes, I had the same sense in how they tried to capture the brutality of war. I'll agree that Hollywood has historically tried to hone in on the heroism of war while at times neglecting the horrors. Fury did a great job of capturing both.

I also thought it was interesting how the team was utterly incompatible outside of battle, but they did their jobs and gelled when it mattered. Norman disrupted that dynamic some initially, but by the end, he had assimilated somewhat. And I assume that was over the course of 2-3 days, making it all the more compelling how impressive his transformation was.

What was everyone else's take on the tracer fire? I doubt that was very realistic. My combat role was as a physician, so I've not been part of a firefight, and certainly not in WWII!
Old Jock 1997
AG
quote:
Every generation thinks the generation that comes after them is worse or somehow more worthless than them, it is literally the most consistent thing in humanity, especially in the US, haha.

I wouldn't use the term "worthless" to describe my attitude. But I do wonder if we have the national resolve for complete defeat of an enemy nation, or if we'd see the sort of unselfish sacrifice needed to succeed.

Regardless, reactions to crisis aren't easy to predict. I would certainly hope I'd be wrong.
israeliag
AG
quote:
What was everyone else's take on the tracer fire? I doubt that was very realistic. My combat role was as a physician, so I've not been part of a firefight, and certainly not in WWII!
I have not been in war, nor around tracer fire, especially during WW2.

Here's David Ayer (the director) on the subject.

To me it worked, because one tends to think of WW2 in black & white due to most of the documentary video from that time being b&w, and this brought forth an extra reality to the horror. Yes, as stupid as it may sound, adding color, to me, made it more real. Because, yeah - life is in color. It would have been even more powerful, IMO and with that trail of thought, to have had this film in 3D (again - not in 3D for the circus of it, but for the reality of it), and I guess you could have thrown in 48fps, too. At the very least, it might encourage a few more people to research WW2.
Sex Panther
AG
I just thought it was kind of funny that somehow that post became "get off my lawn, millenials are *******"

The greatest generation were a bunch of badasses. My grandfather is 95, was in WW2 and there's nobody I respect in the world more than him. I could listen to his war stories all day... They did what they had to do in the face of one of the most heinous regimes in history.

But as for could our nation still rise up with that kind of resolve now? Yes, without question... That hipster, skinny jean wearing puss you don't like may not be able to pick up a gun and fight very well... but his marine, jarhead cousin probably can. And there are plenty of them to go around. There isn't much in the world that can compete with the American Military, and I hope it never comes to that again.

I just found the post a little comical because it seemed like this movie gave you a reason to say, I don't like "new army" because they are different than me and their clothes are stupid. But to each his own, not trying to attack you. I understand your sentiment and reasoning, especially after seeing a movie that stirs emotions like this one.

And I thought the tracers were a little silly, but I understand why he (David Ayer) did it and it was effective.
Old Jock 1997
AG
Thanks for sharing that, israeliag. i knew Star Wars was not the goal and that seems like a good explanation.

I'm still curious what someone who's been in a firefight would say about the realism of it.
israeliag
AG
From a quick google investigation, looks like there might be some truth to it:

http://books.google.com/books?id=ZZmimTTqsxkC&pg=PA53&lpg=PA53&dq=tracer+fire+ww2&source=bl&ots=YBz4-IK5Dy&sig=jYIrQEKiFh2IlJ784Q1nok1eTJE&hl=en&sa=X&ei=KS1uVMm0NZaradXmgcAM&ved=0CFAQ6AEwCDgK#v=onepage&q=tracer%20fire%20ww2&f=false
Old Jock 1997
AG
Sex Panther, hopefully you read my follow-up post that better describes my hesitation. My comment about hipsters was largely (at least partially) tongue-in-cheek.

I resigned my commission in 2010, and there's no doubt that our fighting forces are well-trained, well-equipped, and committed.

But would they be handcuffed in an all-out war as they are now? Few combat vets feel like they are given autonomy to fight a war to win it...which is why WWII was our last true victory.

Would the American people stomach the horrors of an all-out war -- one that by its very nature will have civilian casualties -- when every second of it is played on CNN? We haven't stomached the past 13 years well, and this has been nothing like a global war, and the casualty rates are not even remotely comparable.

Would we all sacrifice our technology, our freedom of transportation, less food on the table, etc. for the collective good? Would we tolerate coercion if sacrifice wasn't enough? Would we allow our government to redistribute virtually our entire budget to a war effort? Could we even afford it if we did? I don't know the answers to those questions. But that was more my point...we live in a very different world.
Old Jock 1997
AG
quote:
From a quick google investigation, looks like there might be some truth to it:

http://books.google.com/books?id=ZZmimTTqsxkC&pg=PA53&lpg=PA53&dq=tracer+fire+ww2&source=bl&ots=YBz4-IK5Dy&sig=jYIrQEKiFh2IlJ784Q1nok1eTJE&hl=en&sa=X&ei=KS1uVMm0NZaradXmgcAM&ved=0CFAQ6AEwCDgK#v=onepage&q=tracer%20fire%20ww2&f=false

That's interesting. I'm sure a lot of us imagine war based on what Hollywood feeds us...which makes this film all the more remarkable.
Sex Panther
AG
Gotcha... and very understandable in your reasoning. I have never been in the military, and have no clue which you obviously do.

I really don't know the answers to those questions. I think we live in a different world now which has also led to a different way wars are fought. Like I said, I hope we never have to find out...

I will say though, this country for all its faults, still stands united when threatened. 9/11 was proof of that. If something came up that was that a true global or American threat, then I do believe we would arise to the challenge and make the sacrifices needed... It's an interesting discussion though.
Old Jock 1997
AG
quote:
Gotcha... and very understandable in your reasoning. I have never been in the military, and have no clue which you obviously do.

I really don't know the answers to those questions. I think we live in a different world now which has also led to a different way wars are fought. Like I said, I hope we never have to find out...

I will say though, this country for all its faults, still stands united when threatened. 9/11 was proof of that. If something came up that was that a true global or American threat, then I do believe we would arise to the challenge and make the sacrifices needed... It's an interesting discussion though.

I hope you are right in that we don't find out, but if we do, we would be in it to win it.
wangus12
AG
quote:
I wish it didn't have to take a major threat. Don't get me wrong, diversity is great and everyone deserves their own thoughts and beliefs. I just wish we wouldn't spend so much time arguing between left and right, millennials and babay boomers and such. If everyone would spend half the effort trying to actually better the country, we'd be much better off.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
quote:

I don't. I think we are very much two different countries now. That unity after 9/11 lasted about 10 days before the political bickering started right back up.
MSCAg
AG
I liked the movie, was good WW2 film.

I agree, I like that the crew obviously had many flaws. The reality is war makes a lot of guys *******s. Good soldiers, but soldiers have flaws.

I thought Brad Pitt's character was a bit cliched (the burned back for instance) but really good over all. Bernthal basically took his Walking Dead character back in time to WW2, but damn if he wasn't great.

That fight with the Tiger was great. The dinner scene probably was the most tense of the film.

As for the tracer fire, I didn't mind because it did give you a sense of what was going on. Do agree it looked like green laser fire, but I don't know much about WW2 tracers...maybe that's what it looked like.
Teacher_Ag
AG
Funny that we're discussing whether or not the tracer fire was accurate when the climactic scene in this movie involved a handful of dudes in an immobilized tank taking out half of the Waffen SS. I was really into this movie right up to that point and that somewhat ruined it for me. The "last stand" idea was cool, but they really went way too far with dozens and dozens of hapless Germans being mowed down. Only in Hollywood.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Agree with the above. The final battle scene is what keeps this movie in the "good" category and not in the "great" category.
Old Jock 1997
AG
quote:
Agree with the above. The final battle scene is what keeps this movie in the "good" category and not in the "great" category.

Meh. Kind of stupid if they spend all night to kill 6 Germans.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Even more stupid that they killed more than about 20 SS soldiers before they would have been able to pull back, regroup, and kill the tank in short order.
Old Jock 1997
AG
quote:
Even more stupid that they killed more than about 20 SS soldiers before they would have been able to pull back, regroup, and kill the tank in short order.

You can decommission a lot of people pretty quickly with automatic fire and the element of surprise.

But I agree that with most action movies, you have to suspend some element of reality.

On that note, I find it hard to believe that Emma could have been killed in the shelling of her building but been left relatively preserved under a pile of bricks, still beautiful but with only a slightly bloodied nose. Reality says she would have been hard to recognize, but that doesn't accurately reflect the underlying message that war can kill beauty in an instant.
MSCAg
AG
I was wondering the entire final battle "Would the Germans even bother? Wouldn't they just go around the immobile tank? The surrounding area had a hedge/ditch on one side, but the other side was pretty flat farmland."
TRADUCTOR
Just saw the movie and it ducked except for the cinematogrphy.

1 bad acting, maybe the writing that bad
2 multiple bad cliches in story line
3 multiple errors
- historically inacurate radio use Pitt was even using radio to comm with his own guys in the tank.
- historically inacurate maps were blueline..not yet invented
- historically inacurate maneuvers tanks do not battle in parade formation
-not on earth in 1945 could an American tank outrun a panzer or damage with a single shot.

4. Portrayed WW2 army soldiers as thugs
-killing unarmed prisoners
-killing Germans w arms up surrendering
-immediately celebratory looting these kills of valuables and souvineers
- rape
-desecration of dead
-disrespect of ranking officers
5 final battle scene ludicrous...300 guys marching in towards the tank and every 8th one is carrying an anti-tank ordinance over his sholder. Yet during the battle none were shot until after the scene where they had to open the crate of stored anti tank ordinance.

Sniper shooting at night in 1945 haha

Pretty amped to see the movie..sorta stunned, maybe watch it again with booze

$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Everyone is entitled to their opinion of a movie. I personally disagree with yours. No matter.
I do find your number 4 extremely humorous though. Surely you're not that naive.
Carlo4
AG
Audie Murphy would like a word with some of you in regards to one person holding off and killing a bunch of Germans.
OldArmy71
AG
quote:
-killing unarmed prisoners
-killing Germans w arms up surrendering
-immediately celebratory looting these kills of valuables and souvineers
- rape

-disrespect of ranking officers
All of these happened. Well documented.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.