Just finished A Dance with Dragons (GOT Book 5)

3,542 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Atreides Ornithopter
Post removed:
by user
The Dog Lord
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
It goes without saying, but spoilers.

It has taken me a while, but I finished book 5 yesterday and I have some mixed emotions. I can say that it was my least favorite book so far, but I am not sure if that is based on the actual book or the fact that I had seen the complete show to date prior to reading the other books (besides book 1). I am not sure if the fact that I knew the plan of the story-line made the other books more enjoyable or if this book was just way too disjointed with so many different story-lines.

I liked book 4 a lot better so I am thinking my actual issue is with the book. I appreciate the depth of the GOT world, and the amount of details, but it just seems as if book 5 had way too much going on that did little to advance the actual story. The Dornish prince is the best example where we have a hundred of pages devoted to a minor character, who just ends up dead and there could have been tons of other alternative ways to end up with dragons released.

I also am disappointed with Arya's and Tyrion's progression but that might have something to do with them being central to the show but not as key in this book.

What are some other's thoughts on the book and where does the TV show end up? Seems like the show is quickly going to surpass the books.
Many have felt the same way about Quentyn's story line, but we can't really know the real impact that it has on the overall story until the later books are released. Some aren't even convinced that he is dead (although there is a theory that almost every character isn't really dead at this point).

The show is definitely catching up to the books and will possibly surpass them in some story lines this next season. I think the tv show will end up in a similar place as the books since they know the ending, but it has already started to diverge, combine characters, etc. so it likely won't reach the same conclusion in the same way as the books.

If you feel like looking into more of the theories, there are plenty out there on Youtube, Westeros.org, & Reddit. I am currently rereading the series to pick up on many of the things that I did not before. There are many different story lines that could play a huge role in the overall story, but they could just as easily but cut short at any moment (Robb for example). It doesn't mean that they didn't have an influence on what happens though. GRRM has mentioned that the last few books had characters and story lines diverging from each other, but we should see them all coming back together more for the conclusion (we have already seen some characters/arcs crossing paths in the last few).
LawAg05
AG
quote:
I appreciate the depth of the GOT world, and the amount of details, but it just seems as if book 5 had way too much going on that did little to advance the actual story.

Yep. One of the biggest criticisms about GoT is that he writes himself into a corner. The scope of the characters and plot lines expands until the entire story seems disjointed without any real plot progression.

quote:
I also am disappointed with Arya's and Tyrion's progression but that might have something to do with them being central to the show but not as key in this book.

What are some other's thoughts on the book and where does the TV show end up? Seems like the show is quickly going to surpass the books.
Both points you make here are related. The GoT producers for the show have already met with GRRM and know how the story ends. Thus, who the show promotes as primary characters in a sea of secondary characters may give us insight into the main players wrapping up the story. The show will almost certainly pass up the books. GRRM seems to be writing slower as he ages and his health is a concern. Couple this with the fact that HBO has already said they won't do more than 7-8 seasons and you can safely guess HBO will tell us how the story ends. In fact, the show has already given us more insight into the Others/White Walkers than the books ever did by showing us the baby transformation and Castle Greyskull.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I felt the same about book 5 not being up to par. GRRM just keeps introducing way, way too many characters and sending them on quests we don't care about as our favorite characters die or waste all their time in Braavos or Slavers Bay.

I wish he'd just kill half the characters to trim the fat and tighten the story. I've been waiting for those damn white walkers to come south and do just that for a couple books now.

I think the TV show will suffer a similar dip in the next few seasons.
Post removed:
by user
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG

It's almost like Quentyn Martell won a fan contest to be in the books, so GGRM has him walk through part of the plot - interact with Dany, Daario, and Barristan Selmy, and then die having accomplished absolutely nothing.

He has no character arc - he starts as a loser and dies as a loser.
LawAg05
AG
Agreed on Quentyn accomplishing nothing and taking forever to do it. This is why some have speculated it wasn't actually Quentyn that died, but someone else. Preston Jacobs does a series on youtube where he has some pretty wild theories (some compelling and some not) if you are looking for something to tide you over during the lull between the next season of GoT.
hunter2012
AG
Thoughts on Jon Snow?
Post removed:
by user
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
we could stop hearing about how tough it is to be commander and do the right thing by going against your entire organization
hunter2012
AG
quote:
quote:
we could stop hearing about how tough it is to be commander and do the right thing by going against your entire organization

If only he would take the oath...
mid90
AG
quote:
Thoughts on Jon Snow?
I think he's technically dead, but he warged into Ghost before his body died.

The prologues in all of the books always have some key piece of information hidden within them, and ADWD prologue was about that wildling who warged into his wolf before his body died, but then lost his mind basically and completely became the wolf.

That being said, I think there's going to be some way that GRRM brings Jon back bodily, because there's too much going on with R+L=J and Dany's prophecies about finding a blue rose on the wall for Jon to just be a direwolf.
mid90
AG
quote:
quote:
In fact, the show has already given us more insight into the Others/White Walkers than the books ever did by showing us the baby transformation and Castle Greyskull.

Castle Greyskull?
LawAg05
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
In fact, the show has already given us more insight into the Others/White Walkers than the books ever did by showing us the baby transformation and Castle Greyskull.

Castle Greyskull?
Just a name I saw referenced on here that was pretty clever.

GoT WW castle:

Castle Grayskull from Heman:
mid90
AG
Ha nice
AggieSouth06
Most people say book 4 is their least favorite. I'm glad people share in my opinion that book 5 is by far the weakest. Book 4 felt like an interesting different story with some of the same characters. Book 5 felt like a disappointing continuation of the main story of characters I liked. Dany and Jon -- 2 of the strongest characters -- were reduced to whiny, indecisive bores.

That said, I really do think the show can "right the wrongs" of the books and tell a much more focused and streamlined story.

And here's my Quentyn theory: He was necessary to drive a wedge between Dany and Dorne. The show will substitute him with Trystane. Trystane is much older in the show and is listed as Doran's "sole heir." He will spend the first half of the season leading the "Queenmaker" plot (in place of Arienne), Myrcella will be maimed or even killed, and Doran will panic and send him to Dorne to form an alliance with Dany (in place of Quentyn).
Post removed:
by user
Saxsoon
AG
About 60% through adwd and I would say it is much much better than book 4.
SlimM
AG
Bloody flux!
bangobango
AG
I feel like you guys should read Robert Jordan's wheel of time series. After that, you won't mind as much Martin's expanding story and introduction of superfluous characters.
terradactylexpress
Book 4 was awful.

Had I read it when it came out and then had to wait 5 years for adwd there's probably no way I continue the story
Farmer1906
AG
I read book 4 & 5 at the same time. I switched back and forth between chapters. It worked out very well. I couldn't imagine reading book 4 with a lot of the least interesting characters.
MSCAg
AG
I liked it ok. I didn't mind the Quentyn Martell becuase in real life, stuff happens like that for no reason.

That said, I do buy into Preston Jacob's Doyrnish plan theories. I think the whole point of that plan was to send Quentyn on a death trip.
millertyme
AG
quote:
That is a good theory and I agree a whole lot of the folks from dorne are about to get cut and combined. The same thing will happen with the Grey joys. Those two stories really dragged on in book 4 without a ton of payoff.
"The name is Reek! It rhymes with WEAK!"
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
quote:
I think he's technically dead
As opposed to mostly dead? If he was only mostly dead, Miracle Max COULD bring him back with a chocolate covered pill.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.