The newsroom season 3

7,569 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by PatAg
nai06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I didnt think it was all that great. So many things just felt so forced in an effort to tie up loose ends. I think thats partly due to this being such a short 6 episode season. They have so many story lines they crammed in without being able to fully explore or develop them.
ChipFTAC01
AG
In the history of Sorkin relationships, I'm pretty sure that Jim and Maggie is by far my least favorite.

Off the top of my head:

- The Bartletts (WW)
- Don & Sloan
-Josh and Amy (WW)
- Dana & casey (Sports Night)
- Will & McKensie (Newsroom)
-CJ and Danny (WW)
-Toby and Mrs. Toby (WW)
-Josh and Joey Lucas (WW)
- Danny & Jordan (S60)
- Josh and Donna (WW)
- Matt & Harriett (S60)
-Charlie & Zoey (WW)
- Lucy & Tom (S60)
-Santos and his terrible wife (WW)

- Maggie & Jim

TCTTS
AG
This is crazy. I don't know that I've ever seen this much hatred directed at a single episode of a "prestige" cable drama...

http://blogs.indiewire.com/criticwire/the-newsrooms-ill-timed-campus-rape-episode-is-its-worst-ever-20141208

http://www.vox.com/2014/12/8/7350489/newsroom-rape
shalackin
AG
liberal trash. absolute trash. i hate this show with a passion. the main reason is because it could be very good, but instead chooses to be liberal trash. sorkin sucks.
nai06
AG
As has been before about this show, GTFO if thats what you are going to post. This isnt a politics board thread. It adds nothing to the discussion.
wesag
AG
quote:
Everybody catch the a&m reference from that asst attorney general? About him playing fullback at a&m and losing to Nebraska every year? Is that even factual? Did we play Nebraska in the 70s or 80s for 4 years in a row?
Damn, man.
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
liberal trash. absolute trash. i hate this show with a passion. the main reason is because it could be very good, but instead chooses to be liberal trash. sorkin sucks.
Watching a Sorkin show and complaining about the fact that it comes from Sorkin's point of view is pretty strange.
wesag
AG
quote:
Premiere was tonight. Thought it was solid, it didn't seem to have the full Sorkin feel but it was probably because they had a ton to set up for the season. Looks like a good storyline(s) though.
I know I'm way behind here, but I was driving through the mountains of Colorado when I first heard about this show a few years back. I think it was a story on Fresh Air. It did not disappoint. Haven't caught up recently. Maybe if we can get some babysitting.
75AG
AG
quote:
It's television.
shalackin
AG
liberal trash television
75AG
AG
quote:
liberal trash television
Actually, good quality TV. I can separate my politics from my entertainment. You should try it.
Savage10
All those reviews that were posted are from people that watch just to hate the show. They say so in their reviews and they all clearly have an axe to grind. Especially with Sorkin's criticism of hack entertainment "journalists " and internet bloggers this season, which basically describes all these reviewers. It's not a documentary, it's Sorkin's opinions wrapped in entertainment with often humorous dialogue. Just because they disagree with his presentation of a rape discussion this is now the worst episode ever on an always terrible show apparently.
Savage10
And people here have posted good reasons why they feel this is not a great episode. I'm just saying some of those bad reviews are way too focused on politics for a fictional television show
Simplebay
AG
Even one of the writers hates it aaaand now he comes Sorkin's statement

This is fun
20ag07
Love this show.

That episode was godawful. The ridiculous overacting by Watterston all episode made it overly obvious that ending was coming. Then the way it played out was just botched and horribly done. Tons of Maggie and Jim dumbness. No one likes Maggie and Jim. The imaginary dad in the jail cell was vintage bad-Sorkin- didn't we already even do that one on this show with a therapist?

The rape storyline was just a bad idea with all the issues he's had with females. Definitely support his right to just throw up a middle finger, but does it have to be in the penultimate episode?

So basically all this episode was was an awesome Sloan scene and a bunch of crap. Which pretty much describes the whole series I guess.
TCTTS
AG
^ This.
oragator
Pretty low key by Sorkin standards, but the jam session was cool.
schmendeler
AG
I liked it. Maybe I forgot but it was interesting that the thing that was the big villain of this season (crap journalism) is basically what Will's show was at the beginning of the series.
Simplebay
AG
Complete reversal from last week. I'm glad they let the acting shine, especially Don and Sloan because they were such the backbone of the show. Hope both of them get higher profile gigs.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I thought the ending was fine. I don't know really what I wanted out of it. I certainly didn't love it. But it was fine. The jam session was cheesy.

Kind of feels like a bit of a sully to the great "What Kind of Day Has it Been" name.
spadilly
S
Somewhat underwhelmed with the ending, but that's been the case with most of season 3.

Thinking back off the top of my head, "We Just Decided To" and "I Will Try To Fix You" were probably the two best episodes of the series in my opinion.
twenty two ags
this show is garbage.
sorkin hits - west wing
sorkin critical acclaim but nobody watched - sports night
sorkin complete crap - studio 60 & the newsroom.
sorkin is overrated.
schmendeler
AG
thanks for that excellent insight.
Aggrad08
AG
Liked the finale. I'm glad they didn't beat the show to death like the end of the west wing.
PatAg
AG
Season 3 wasn't up to par with the rest, but it wasn't the garbage some people on this thread said it was.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.